How do I set quotas for the free level?

I've asked this question, but it seems the thread has sort of come to a halt, probably because I did not ask it properly. So here goes again.

How can I change settings for the free level blog? How can I limit their number of posts and/or pages, their uploads and storage, etc. I have not been able to create a no charge level other than the free one, and I cannot find where to modify its capabilities.

This is a screenshot of what I am able to change settings on. Where is the free level?

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Kirk,

No problem, happy to help here.

The pro site level you select at the top is the minimum required level to remove the limits. So every level below that one will be given the post limits including the default free level; while every level above it will be unlimited. I've attached a screenshot to illustrate.

So whichever limits you set there will apply to the free level plus any level below the level you have selected in that dropdown.

How can I change settings for the free level blog?

Basically whatever is NOT assigned to a specific pro site level or higher, will be left for the free level. Ie. in the premium themes and plugins modules you can select certain themes/plugins to be available for only certain levels or higher. The ones that you don't force a level requirement on will be left for the free level.

Hope that clears things up! If you still have questions just let us know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

Example, I want the free level to be limited to 4 pages, id 1 (lowest Pro level) to be limited to 24 pages, and id 2 (next to lowest Pro level) as well as id 3 and id 4 to be unlimited pages.

How would I set those quotas on the quotas page?

And, a happy fried liver mush, egg, onion and cheese sandwich to you,
    Kirk

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Kirk,

This wouldn't be possible without further custom development to the quotas module because it wasn't designed to do limits for each level, instead to do just 1 set of limits and then you choose which level or higher is needed to remove those limits.

We can definitely add this as a feature request for the future, but it would require completely changing the way the quota module is meant to work. If you have further questions on that just let me know :slight_smile:

Hope you had a weekend!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

I think it should be a feature as I am having trouble visualizing how a free level would work if you can't set quotas in one place but can assign plugins in another.

And, I never have weekends. Dearly Beloved always comes home and the Honey Do falls. Sigh.

Cheers and Cheerios,
    Kirk

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Kirk,

I think it should be a feature as I am having trouble visualizing how a free level would work if you can't set quotas in one place but can assign plugins in another.

I'm not sure how the quotas and plugins would relate in this case? You can set the quotas but instead of setting them per level, you do one set of quotas and set the level needed to remove the quotas. I do think quotas per level would be an awesome option too though. I can see some others have requested it as well, so hopefully we can implement that in the future :slight_smile:

And, I never have weekends. Dearly Beloved always comes home and the Honey Do falls. Sigh.

:smiley: - I just realized I said "I hope you had a weekend!" lol that almost sounds a bit morbid. I definitely meant to include "good" in there too :p

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

You can set the quotas but instead of setting them per level, you do one set of quotas and set the level needed to remove the quotas.

While I still don't understand how that works, it might do the trick if you can explain how I get 4 pages at free level, 24 pages and the next, and unlimited at the next.

I do think quotas per level would be an awesome option too though. I can see some others have requested it as well, so hopefully we can implement that in the future :slight_smile:

I think that if others are requesting it, it may mean there is a lack of clarity on how to do it the way you are describing, with the remove thing.

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

:smiley: - I just realized I said "I hope you had a weekend!" lol that almost sounds a bit morbid. I definitely meant to include "good" in there too :p

I thought it was funny. Mainly because somethimes I don't remember the weekends. Probably a leftover from my misspent youth.

Wheaties and Raisin Bran to you this morning,
    Kirk

• Anang
    • New Recruit

Hi Kirk

I hope you don't mind I jump in here :slight_smile:

Just to clear things up.. Pro Sites only have one global quota per post type, and you only can define what minimum level the quota/limit is unlock. So there's no way we can define post quotas per level without some custom code :slight_smile:

If you want to try a plugin that close to your requirement but it's limited by users not site . You can check this plugin :
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/bainternet-posts-creation-limits/

Let me know if you have further questions, and have a great day :slight_smile:

Best Regards

• Anang
    • New Recruit

Hi Kirk

You can set the global quota in Pro Sites settings. Go to network admin - Pro Sites - Settings - Post/Page Quotas. I attached screenshot too , you can look at the screenshot :slight_smile:

Have a great day :slight_smile:

Best Regards

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

So, what you are saying is that setting the global quotas there sets the quotas from the lowest level and on upward, but settings at each individual level override those, and set new quotas for subsequent levels?

Looking forward to gloom and rain as Erika begins her diminished northward trek.
    Kirk

• Ken
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Kirk,

They are all FREE. Pro Sites payment gateways are seriously broken, have you run test transactions yet? You better, Pro Sites will not reliably collect any money for you at this time. Beware!!!!

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

Hi Ken,

I don't understand. Do the quotas I assign affect the payment gateways, or do the payment gateways affect the quotas, or do all payment gateways not collect funds, even the paypal gateway (which has been integrated for years)? Or, are we talking about two different things here?

How do you suggest I test the gateways

My preferred gateway is Stripe, which has worked flawlessly on another site, under another application. Are you saying it does not reliably work either?

Which gateway are you talking about? Or, is it more than one? How can I test the transactions? As far as I know, only Stripe has a simple test mode. I cannot use those Sandbox things. I am too old to learn a new thingy.

Thanks,
    Kirk

• Ken

Hi Kirk,
    First let me say that I am not staff. I am a customer who has been unsuccessful at getting any payment gateway to work for me on a fresh, clean install. I was just trying to let you know that if you have not tested your gateways, then you should immediately, because if you updated to the latest version of Pro Sites v 3.5.1.3, then they very well may no longer work. If your PayPal has worked for years and you are still collecting funds, and Pro Sites is managing the subscription properly then I wouldn't touch a thing. As far as the quotas go, it is a strict hierarchy, Free is base, level one is first break, level two is second break, etc. You can go in and override, manually the account quota under: Sites > Edit > Settings. Please check your gateway, make sure it is behaving properly.

Regards,
    Ken

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

Hi Ken,

This is a fresh install, under development and hoping to soon go live. I had not reached the new customer testing phase, so any advice will be appreciated.

I presumed you were a customer, and am glad for your feedback as I see a lot of it voiced around on the interweb. In fact, I have been angry with IncSub for some of the ways that historically their model works. But, I have not previously had problems with the mechanics of their plugins, only their clumsy sales model.

Anyhoo, the tech support folks have been good to me here, and seem to have improved quite a bit since I was last a member. So much so that I am building my model on Pro Sites, rather than Paid Membership Pro, which seems it may have the same ability to manage quotas.

So, with that said, I could sure use some guidance on how to properly test the Stripe gateway with the Pro Sites sales page and blog sales, using coupons for discounts. Can you, or can anyone advise?

Kirk

P.S. I'll be on and off erratically the rest of today, and back on full in the am.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey @Ken and @Kirk,

@Ken, it looks like you got your payment gateway issues sorted out here? https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/stripe-gatewaythis-site-is-using-different-gateway-so-their-information-is-not-accessible#post-944259 - that should be released in the next update coming up soon :slight_smile:

@Kirk

So, what you are saying is that setting the global quotas there sets the quotas from the lowest level and on upward, but settings at each individual level override those, and set new quotas for subsequent levels?

You can only set 1 set of quota's then you can choose which level is needed to remove any quota limits. So if you set "5" for posts and the Pro site level selected at the top is "level 2" then that means level 1 and the "free level" will both have a limit of 5 and levels 2 and above will have no limit :slight_smile:

I think I may have explained this in one of our other threads Kirk, I don't remember. So apologies if I'm repeating myself :smiley:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

and levels 2 and above will have no limit :slight_smile:

Will have no limit at all for Level 2 and above, or can be set for another amount on Level 2 on the quotas page, which can be removed by setting a quota at a higher level, such as Level 5?

I apologize, but the plugin will not activate at this time and I am preparing to follow instructions to fix it, but from what I remember, each level can be set on the Quota page except for the Free Level.

Which leads to what I was trying to do, set a different quota for each level (up to certain point).

If I am hearing this right, I can set 4 as my "Pro Sites" quota, and it will be 4 for any level up until where I reset it. So I set it to 5 at Level 1 and it is 5 for Level 1 until I reset it.

So, at Level 2, I set a quota of 6, which cancels the 5, which canceled the 4.

And, at Level 3, I set a quota of 7, which cancels 6, which canceled 5, which canceled 4.

And so on, ad infinitum.

Yes or no?

• Tyler Postle
      • CGO

Hey Kirk,

I've attached a screenshot that includes the tool tip for the Pro Site level selection, that might explain it better than I did.

Basically, you can only setup quota's once for each post type, then at the top you select the minimum level needed to remove those limits.

So there is no way to set a limit per level at this time but it is beginning to be requested more and more so hopefully it's something we can implement in the future :slight_smile:

Let me know if you have further questions on that.

Cheers,
      Tyler

• Ken

Hi @Tyler and @Kirk,

Yes, I think Stripe is good to go now in 3.5.1.4 beta2, some other none Stripe issues and will open a new thread on that soon.

Hey @Kirk haven't forgotten about you. BTW, what type of server are you running on? Latest PHP, etc?

Best,
    Ken

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

Basically, you can only setup quota's once for each post type, then at the top you select the minimum level needed to remove those limits.

So, the drop down is only used once, not a way to set each level. The way my screen refreshed when I changed levels in the drop down, it appeared to me that I was setting each level separately. Sorry to have been so lost. Personally, I would have used radio buttons, and reworded the text to indicate that the override was applicable to all higher id levels.

So there is no way to set a limit per level at this time but it is beginning to be requested more and more so hopefully it's something we can implement in the future :slight_smile:

Seems to make more sense than just one override. It would make the feature much more useful, and flexible. It would also give the super admin owners another tools to encourage upgrades. I think the themes thing is sort of Passé, except at the level where sub-Networks are being sold.

Cheers, and happy upcoming Halloween to you.
    (The National Holiday for all introverted adults)
    Kirk

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Kirk,

So, the drop down is only used once, not a way to set each level. The way my screen refreshed when I changed levels in the drop down, it appeared to me that I was setting each level separately. Sorry to have been so lost. Personally, I would have used radio buttons, and reworded the text to indicate that the override was applicable to all higher id levels.

It actually shouldn't be refreshing when you change the dropdown. I've just double checked this on my own install to make sure there isn't an issue and it's not refreshing on mine. Thanks for your feedback on the description as well.

Seems to make more sense than just one override. It would make the feature much more useful, and flexible. It would also give the super admin owners another tools to encourage upgrades. I think the themes thing is sort of Passé, except at the level where sub-Networks are being sold.

I do agree it would definitely make the module a lot more flexible. Hopefully it will be included down the line :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

PS. Happy upcoming Halloween to you as well! I guess it will be a national holiday for me :p

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.