How Do I set up a Multisite WP website?

Hi
I am looking at setting up a new install of WP where I can replicate certain pages for my members. I believe I can do this using Multisite, using something like Cloner to copy the pages I want Replicated.
Are there instructions on how to do this somewhere? More importantly Am I on the right track!

Thanks in advance

• Patricia BT

Hi

I'm not on the staff but if you don't mind I add my reply here.

So setting up a multisite is a good solution if your users have basic needs = they won't be able to add plugins/themes by themselves and be tied by what you decide...

I personally use also Pro Sites, New Blog templates and I used once Cloner... all by WPMUDev
    as well as multi-domains and Domain Mapping.

About Cloner, I'm not sure you can replicate "certain pages", imo it's all pages or none, waiting for official reply on that.

As you ask how to setup, here are some basics : if you start from scratch, after normal WP install, simply install the multisite (also called network) as per instructions found on wp. org :
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

then install WPMUDev Dashboard, login, and install all their necessary plugins.
    Pro Sites allows you to bill your users (or not), and restrict what plugins / themes they are allowed to activate depending on the level they subsribe to.

Do not hesitate to ask me more questions, and waiting for official team reply :slight_smile:

• Patrick

Hi there @Paul

Awesome reply there by @Patricia BT :slight_smile:

First of all, did you go through the instructions on the page she linked to above?
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

If so, you may have overlooked a section as you do indeed need to modify your wp-config.php and .htaccess files.

Also, I'm a bit confused by this statement:

I have just installed WP with WPMU checked.

What exactly do you mean by "with WPMU checked"?

As Patricia has indicated, the Cloner plugin can only be used to either create a new site in your network and add that content to it, or overwrite the content on an existing site.

If you want more fine-grained control over exactly what to copy over from one site to another, you would want to use our Multisite Content Copier plugin instead:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multisite-content-copier/

Then again, if what you want to do is offer your users fully-configured sites that they can set up with a single click, the New Blog Templates is the thing you want:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template/

Note that all 3 of them can be used on the same network, they just serve different purposes. Have a read on all three of them to get a bit more familiar with what they are designed for. This article on our blog should provide a bit more insight too:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/snapshot-clone-copy-template-the-wpmu-dev-multisite-copying-toolkit/

But the first thing to get set up is your multisite. So let's be sure that's working right before we get into all the other goodies. :slight_smile:

• Paul

Hello again

It looks like WP 4 automatically sets everything up. It appears that everything is working ok.
    My mistake regarding 'Cloner' it is New Blog templates I believe I need.
    Set up 1 site as I want.
    Create a template from that.
    Use that template to create new sites.

I am building capture pages for my team. If there is a better way perhaps you could let me know.

Also cannot see where I change subdomains or subdirectories, any clues?

Thanks again

Paul

• Paul

Hi Patrick

When I installed WP there was a box that said enable WPMU. I ticked that box.
    All the configuration was done already when I logged in. OR is it always like this?
    I went to add

/* Multisite */
    define( 'WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true );

But it was already in the file at the top. Do I need to add it again?

Everything seems to be working, BUT I do not have a NETWORK settings tab and I cannot see how to choose Sub directories or Sub domains, it appears to have automatically set up sub directories.

Any advice?

Thanks for all your help.

Paul

• Patricia BT

Hi again.

It's still not a network, jsut ready to be set up.
    Go to Tools, Network Setup
    follow the steps, fill the questions (subdirectories or subdomains),
    then you will have to copy the given code to your wp-config (under the previous line) and .htaccess,
    Then you'll be logged out (that's expected), then when you log again, you'll have a network dashbord, where you can add sites, etc

Patrick , yeah, that's the one I forgot to mention, Multisite Content Copier.

PS: thanks a lot to @Jude for the points, highly appreciated!

• Jude

@Patricia BT Thanks for being an awesome member . Highly appreciated :slight_smile:

@Paul

But it was already in the file at the top. Do I need to add it again?

Please check if it was commented out like this,

// define( 'WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true );

Otherwise that step is done.

Also like Patricia mentioned you need to follow a few additional steps. I would highly recommend you take some time out and read a bit, if this is the first time you are doing something like this. It saves a lot of time and efforts if you do it correct the first time round.

Here are some really useful manuals that we wrote on the topic, that can help you

Cheers
    Jude

• Paul

Hi

Thanks for this information, however, nowhere in any of your tutorials do you talk about the small checkbox on WP install that says enable WPMU. I could not find any mention of this anywhere.

I went to the wp-config.php file and this is what it says:

/* Multisite */
    define( 'WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true );
    define('MULTISITE', true);
    define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', false);
    define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', '100khub.com');
    define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/');
    define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
    define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

This was all done automatically by WP.. I do not think I need to add it again.

I cannot see the .htaccess file to check that, but everything seems to be working in my installation.

Thanks for all the support

Paul

• Patricia BT

Ok, if this was added by WP it means it could write to your wp-config.php file, nice, but then you can modify its permission (connect via ftp and chmod to 444 / read only).
    About the .htaccess, maybe it couldn't create the file, so better you add it yourself. it's good to have an .htaccess file anyway, mentioning at least this in the beginning (to avoid listing folder content when no index is present)

Options -Indexes

*then the rules given to you when creating the network*. The way you'll use the permalinks will also have effect on that, and htaccess will be mandatory then.

(just an out-of-topic tip, as I'm not sure how much you know, or even for other readers, if you are on a windows computer where you cannot create a file without name = without characters on the left of the dot, put a character, upload it and rename once on the server. Also while editing such files, always open in a plain text editor.)

• Patricia BT

For older versions? I'm not sure to understand but anyway, there might be things I'm not aware of for new versions :slight_smile:
    Usually if the WP install script can write to the wp-config and htaccess it will during install, but if the files are set to be read only, the script can't write to them thus you must add manually.
    htaccess is necessary to redirect things in the correct place = subsites, permalinks etc.

This is what you find under (network dashboard) -> Settings -> Network Setup (at least for me with subdomains network):

2. Add the following to your .htaccess file in /server/path/to/site/XXXX/, replacing other WordPress rules:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^wp-admin$ wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*\.php)$ $1 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]
  • Paul

Jude
    I have granted support access
    I did not have an option to change the network settings, my site was automatically set up to use sub directories!

I have added this to my .htaccess file
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

Please feel free to take a look!

Many thanks

Paul

• Jude

Hi Paul,

I just took a look and you setup and it seems ok for a subfolder setup.

I did not have an option to change the network settings, my site was automatically set up to use sub directories!

You need to check with you web host if this is supported. At least one of the following must work for a subdomain setup

1) Configuring wildcard subdomains
    2) Configuring virtual hosts, specifying the same document root for each
    3) Creating addon domains or subdomains manually

The wildcard DNS method being ideal for you setup.

Look at this post for clarity.

Tip: If you decide on using a sub domain based setup then its best to take a backup and start over now. Later its going to become a real pain.

Cheers
    Jude

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.