How do I show more than a few posts per subsite?

I'd like to be able to show more than one post per subsite on the home page, really I'd like to show all the posts from each subsite intermingled. Any ideas?

• aecnu

Greetings tuckerpro,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

I'd like to be able to show more than one post per subsite on the home page, really I'd like to show all the posts from each subsite intermingled

Well it is certain that the Network theme is not suited to do this nor is it it's intended use.

Any ideas?

A theme that offers a grid of posts on the home page then use something like Recent Global Posts Feed plugin to create a feed of all the sub sits and then possibly something like Autoblog plugin to post those items in the feed to the main blog which is then shown in the grid theme.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• tuckerpro

It just seems weird that I'd need to use an RSS feed to pull in this data when its in the same DB. Then generating a duplicate post in the network main site just seems like duplicating efforts.

What I'm really going for here is a mishmosh of all the posts on the network (I only currently have 2 subsites, I can see me going up to maybe 10 at the most) that would display a list of all the blog posts from each multisite and when clicked will go to that subsite the post is from and display the post.

The RSS method just sounds like running a garden hose from your kitchen, out the window and then into the bathroom when the water is already available in the house to begin with.

• magichew

I know what you mean tuckerpro.

I was surprised to see my featured posts 'overwritten' with the latest post on each blog. I expected to see the featured blog posts move across and then down.

So if my Network theme had a grid of 8 and site A was updated 5 times before any other site is updated I would have expected to see 5 out of 8 on the grid to be posts from site A.
    This isn't the case however, it would simply show the latest post from that site and then the latest posts from the other sites.

I think it would be useful to have this behaviour configurable.

• aecnu

Greetings magichew,

Thank you for your feedback which is certainly appreciated.

The use are describing concerning the use of Networks theme is totally contrary to it's intended use.

The intended use is a main blog/site consisting of the posts from sub blogs/sites. It does not considered the main blog/site to be a part of the sub blog/site network nor was it ever intended to be used in that manner.

However, I am certain that it would not be too hard for someone to recode the theme as you desire if you cannot custom code it yourself, you could see if there's a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute

Or you could always approach someone like Tweaky

Cheers, Joe

• scot

I strongly agree with more than one post per blog.

also i am using eleganthemes Origin, as a test. but is it is a pain so far. yachtsplus.com is a working sample of that. I would like to stick with the network theme.. but the limitation of one post means i need 20 members to make the site look good. I do not want to use buddy press or fake sites so i am at a stale mate until i grow or pay to develop it.. which is WEAK at best. good luck tucker

• aecnu

Greetings scot,

Totally understand where you are coming from though I do not agree with the tactic being that you can create some fake blogs which is an illusion of the sites contained within the network or have more then one item from each blog showing still giving the same illusion (whats the difference) and in neither case is the truth displayed in all its glory.

That is the main reason why after six years in Internet Marketing I got out, the lies, fraud and untruths became so ridiculous, worse since 2008, and I could see right through them. Kind of reminds me of the big hosting companies as well and most sales letters of all kinds.

Thank you for your welcome input and though I do not find mine any more valid, I do disagree based on the reasons above.

But I also believe this would be a great option as one could use it in a non misleading way for example showing one spot as being the News of a single blog and another spot showing the classifieds for example - nothing wrong with that even if they are from the same site.

So you folks who want this do indeed have my support based on the many cool and legitimate reasons this could be of use

+100

Cheers, Joe

• scot

Totally understand where you are coming from though I do not agree with the tactic being that you can create some fake blogs which is an illusion of the sites contained within the network or have more then one item from each blog showing still giving the same illusion (whats the difference)

The difference is the subsites belong to my paying clients. Thus if i build a bunch of fake paying clients i would be a big fat liar. But if i pull 1 or 3 or 10 random post's from them that could look cool. and maybe more paying clients will see these guys on my home page. and maybe i could charge theme eventually to be on the home page... and then maybe i could afford to have someone tweak it. once the grid is full.

I like that you disagree. And please do not stop.. But it is frustrating when (often) the support staff's answers is/are "add another plugin" .. or use this to do this.

Especially when

1. I am paying to be disagreed with.
    2. The way the theme or plugin often reads is not 100% accurate... examples...

No More “Plugin Soup”: One Network Theme to Rule them All

and

Display off ALL content from your WordPress Network right from your home page.

Please don't take anything out context. I have a full understanding of what you wrote above. and i hope you now have a full understanding of my needs for this site.

Respectfully.

• magichew

Whoa. I'm not after making my network look busier for marketing reasons or anything like that. My network of sites is for a school, each year group has its own website which they upload their content to. It would be great if you were able to show more than one item from each website as there is so much great content uploaded on a regular basis it may be missed or not get its moment in the spotlight for long enough.

• aecnu

Greetings scot,

You are spot on and I totally agree that is why I mentioned most sales letters of all kinds including this exact example you gave

But please consider I could not spell it out myself for obvious reasons and you have done it for me.

I do want to thank you for your convictions and the way you want your sites to proceed, and regardless of my personal ways/opinions I will do anything I can to help members without prejudice in any way.

I realize you folks pay for membership here as I once did, and as a member I preferred to be told the truth then be smothered in BS - though truth is indeed perspective i.e. half full glass of water ~or~ half empty glass of water.

Once again thank you for sharing your thoughts which are appreciated. It is hard to know what the other is thinking unless they tell you

Sincerely, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings khalid_al_ahmadi,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

To answer your question regarding points, the answer is work your butt off helping other members and if you are indeed helpful it is most likely they will award you with some points to include WPMU support staff who will award points for those being helpful to other members or offering custom coding that works etc.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings cr8happiness,

Thank you for your feedback which is greatly appreciated and I absolutely see your point being that it indeed displays one post from each site within your network and not "All".

I also know that using all, never, forever, etc. will almost always come back to haunt.

I will notify my direct in line supervisor @Mason about the discrepancy and ask for his input for changing this. I would go ahead and make the change myself but the Big Boss was the last to edit the page and I do not have the authority to over ride his decisions if in fact he made this decision which we do not know.

In any event I will have it scrutinized for sure.

Thanks again for pointing this out.

Cheers, Joe