How do I structure my custompress?

Hi

Custompress is installed now and network activated. But...

I'd like some of the custom post types to be displayed on the admin menus of subsites and some custom post types NOT to be displayed, and the subsites NOT to be able to add/mod/delete items.

So in other words, I'd like the main site to be able to do it all for some post types, and the subsites to simply display the information but not have admin access to changing or deleting it.

If I choose to activate custompress site by site (rather than network activate) I think that is also going to affect the displaying of the items, right?

So I want it all to display but I don't want any site except site ID 1 to be able to create the content for some of the custom post types.

Example: Staff Members would be a type I'd create in site ID 1 to display across subsites, but no-one in a subsite should have the ability to make any changes to Staff members or add new ones, or delete.

Other custom post types I create, I WOULD like the subsites to be able to create, mod, delete their own items.

EXAMPLE: Restaurant Reviews. Each different subsite can review restaurants in their areas and add/mod/delete their own reviews.

Is that clear? Sorry I'm very new at this. Been through the docs but still don't understand a lot of the terminology. Can't figure out how I would set up the custompress to do this.

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction to a solution.

Cheers
Warwick

• jwb888

Hi Tom

That's great thanks, I'll look into that.

HOWEVER perhaps in all common sense I might take a step backwards and explain the project in a bit more detail, in case I'm heading down some road that leads to a dead end.

Overall Goal:
    ==========
    To creàte a country-wide communities facility where people can chat, blog, get information and give information, join forums, vote on local issues, etc.

Subsites taxonomy:
    Country (main site)
    - State/Region (subsite)
    -- City (subsite)

E.g.

USA
    - California
    - - San Francisco
    - - San Diego
    - Colorado
    - - Denver

There might even be a layer of subsite below City, but I'm not sure about that. Probably not necessary.

Tricky Bits:
    ========
    A subsite for every city/town under the structure above and a person is responsible for each subsite. Also each subsite has users sign up in their city. They enter their local data (events, news, business listings, classifieds, etc).

A person browsing the website can choose to look at All USA where they see information from everywhere. Or they can filter to California where they see the information from San Diego and San Francisco, or down to San Diego itself, etc. You get the idea. Data is entered at the local level and is seen or not seen depending on the regional selector.

Some data is entered on the main site (USA) and that information is seen on ALL sites. E.g. contact us, staff members, magazine items, announcements, whatever.

Structure:
    ========
    WordPress
    BuddyPress
    Multisite
    CustomPress

Problem:
    =======
    Whilst not totally new to WordPress, I am new to multisite and custom posts, etc and am at a loss as to how to best put this backbone structure in place. A structure where people can enter data and it sits available to the right filters above.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks very much in advance.
    Warwick

• Tom Eagles

@jwb888

hey Warwick,

In that case you could use a role manager plugin still and promote certain users to admin or a custom role and grant them permissions to specific areas without full admin access. Maybe i am missing something here but using advanced access manager you can block them from the custom press plugin completely as far as creating new custom post types.

To grab the data from the main site you could use autoblog and add it that way. Who will be creating the subsites ? you or the user? I have an alternative plan of action depending on what you say in reply.

Cheers

• jwb888

Hi Tom

Hey thanks for that. I will look into that one.

Tom, Can I employ you for an hour or so (I'm guessing it won't take much more than that) to put the basic structure in place on my site? It's just very confusing for me to do this and to be honest I don't want to have to learn the ins and outs of every little thing in order to begin operating it. It's going to put me months behind my schedule.

I can try to put the structure as succinctly as possible in an email to you?

Thanks again
    Cheers
    Warwick

• jwb888

Hi Tom

I tried once before and found that the chap who said he had the knowledge didn't end up having it. And I'm not skilled enough to tell the difference unfortunately at this point.

How am I going to get this solved Tom? Your site says 24/7 support and ask us anything at all about wordpress. And that's great. But it really isn't that quick and after a week on this topic I'm still at the starting gates.

How would you suggest I move my project forward quickly at this point?

Thanks very much.

Cheers
    Warwick

• jwb888

Hi

Actually that came out a little ruder than I meant it to Tom, so please forgive me if that's how it sounds to you too.

I am just stuck, wondering how to advance my project. I signed up with you guys, only partially because of the plugins etc, as there are many ways to skin most projects, but because I was hoping for some solid bit of assistance at the start of the project to get it kicked off :slight_smile:

And the fact of the matter is that I'm way over my depth to get the basic structure set up. I'm happy to do it, but need the advice to know what to use and how it might be configured. I'm not a developer so learning this info from scratch could take many months and probably never be used again.

Thanks
    Warwick

• Tom Eagles

@jwb888

Hi there, sorry for the delay didnt see your reply after i recommended the job site for you.

What i could do is tag a few people i know here @pxwm for example is very good.

If you shoot me an email to tom dot eagles at incsub dot com i can put together a rough guide for you on how to achieve what you want. Give me a detailed breakdown of how you want things to be setup structure wise.

Cheers

• jwb888

Hi Tom

I'm really at the end of my tether with wpmudev. Now I realise you're going above and beyond for me, however when I signed up with this system it DID say, "ask us anything about wordpress". I have and now months later I'm still trying to get an answer to my question.

I sent the email to you from my gmail on the 9th of August as per your request above, and have heard nothing. I'm going to post it here again.

Overall Goal:
    ==========
    To creàte a country-wide communities facility where people can chat, blog, get information and give information, join forums, vote on local issues, etc.

Subsites taxonomy:
    Country (main site)
    - State/Region (subsite)
    -- City (subsite)

E.g.

USA (main site)
    - California (state site)
    - - San Francisco (city site)
    - - San Diego (city site)
    - Colorado (state site)
    - - Denver (city site)

There might even be a layer of subsite below City, but I'm not sure about that. Probably not necessary except in the larger cities.

Tricky Bits:
    ========
    A subsite for every city/town under the structure above and a person is responsible for each subsite. Also each subsite has users sign up in their city. They enter their local data (events, news, business listings, classifieds, etc).

A person browsing the website can choose to look at All USA where they see information from everywhere. Or they can filter to California where they see the information from San Diego and San Francisco, or down to San Diego itself, etc. You get the idea. Data is entered at the local level and is seen or not seen depending on the regional selector.

Some data is entered on the main site (USA) and that information is seen on ALL sites. E.g. contact us, staff members, magazine items, announcements, whatever.

Structure:
    ========
    WordPress
    BuddyPress
    Multisite
    CustomPress

Problem:
    =======
    Whilst not totally new to WordPress, I am new to multisite, BuddyPress and custom post types, etc, and am at a loss as to how to best put this backbone structure in place. A structure where people can enter data and it becomes available at the right levels above.

A browser to the site would use a menu system to select USA, or drill down to one of the States, and then further if desired to one of the cities, and find information (posts) that are relevant for that filter.

Similarly, a person from San Diego might enter a "for sale item" for instance and that would need to be tagged to:

San Diego
    California
    USA

so that those drilling down for information could see that data where it is supposed to be geographically.

Clear as mud? :slight_frown:

Any thoughts please?

Thanks very much in advance for any help you can give in getting the backbone of this set up in place.

I can provide logins if/when needed.

Thanks
    Warwick

• Tom Eagles

Hi Warwrick just resent my email response to you and copy and pasting it here for your convenience.

Hi Warwick

Many apologies for the delay here.

Ok so the best way to approach this would be multisite, however looking at that structure you would need to use networks for wordpress. this would allow each subsite to have its own subsites. This would allow the hierarchy you wanted plus allow you to add admins to the respective sites etc,
    Buddypress for networks would also allow groups along the same style however I personally tried it in a complex setup like this.

CustomPress would allow the network to share a common set of post types and custom fields so that will not be an issue and there are some awesome plugins that allow deep searching of custom post types. so you could have a set of forms on each level of the sites for the various levels.

So the basic setup main site>subsite>state>subsite City the same would apply for the groups etc.

This is a the project and not one for the weak hearted

Cheers

• Tom Eagles

@jwb888

Sure, the groups could be done the same way as the subsites so each subsite could have its own groups for example each state, each city etc, in other words mirror the sites as far as hierarchy goes.

The very last sentence means just that, setting this up will be the most difficult part, as its quite nested but once up and running it should be relatively easy to maintain.

Hope this helps.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.