How do I test Snapshot is working properly?

Hi,
How do I know Snapshot is working without testing a restore which could potentially not work and then stuff my site up?

And does Snapshot include everything I need to fix up a broken site? Themes etc.

From cPanel I have downloaded a full backup but it says you cannot restore full backups through the system’s interface. I have downloaded a backup of the Home Directory, MySQL Wordpress database and my Email forwarders. Is this going to get me back to where I started if something goes wrong?

This whole backup process seems like such a leap of faith. I wanted to practice a backup process before I went live to the public so that if something went wrong it wouldn't take me a week to get back up and running but I'm feeling very confused.

If someone could point me in the direction of an up to date tutorial for backing up ALL of a multi-site I would really appreciate it. I know there is no 'one-click' solution but what is the process?

Nat.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Natalie,

Hope you're doing well today!

Snapshot will only backup individual subsites, it won't back up your entire Multisite at once. Just want to make sure that is made clear off the get go here.

Sounds like you're using cPanel to backup the entire Multisite? Good idea :slight_smile: and yes, it looks like you did a complete backup there, which will backup your entire multisite. When you restore it, it will just put everything back to how it was at that time. All the files will be restored back and the database. You will then need to likely update a bunch of your plugins since they will be out-dated, unless you're doing regular backups.

What I would recommend if you're worried about it, is too just do a practice restore on a sandbox site, back it up then restore it, that will likely make you feel more at ease.

With snapshot, you need to run the snapshot then you can restore it back from the snapshot list. This works in both single site and multisite.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any further questions Nat.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Natalie

Ugh, I'm so close.
    I'm trying to setup a local version of my site to play with backing up and for testing. I understand what I'm doing more in regard to the bits of the site I need for backing up but I'm having issues moving it to local.

I have an error establishing a database connection.

So I have basically used these steps for Installing Wordpress on my pc to copy the Wordpress files to my local Xamp set up and then exported the database. I did a search replace in the database to change mylocalcreatives.com.au to localhost/mlc where I have the Wordpress files on my PC.

I have in wp-config.php

// ** MySQL settings - You can get this info from your web host ** //
    /** The name of the database for WordPress */
    define('DB_NAME', 'mlcdb');

/** MySQL database username */
    define('DB_USER', 'root');

/** MySQL database password */
    define('DB_PASSWORD', '');

/** MySQL hostname */
    define('DB_HOST', 'localhost');

/* Multisite */
    define('WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true);

define('MULTISITE', true);
    define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', false);
    define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'localhost');
    define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/mlc/');
    define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
    define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);

I think my problem might be in the wp-site table where I have the domain as 'localhost/mlc' and the path as '/'.

If I make the domain in wp-config be 'localhost/mlc' like in wp-site then that doesn't work either. Then I get page redirection errors.

Nat.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.