How do I turn a single site into a multisite and begin to movement towards a brand oriented realm?

I am stunned by the amount of information on this site. Wow. It's like everything I could have wanted in one place.

Okay. So i'm learning Wordpress, and am currently figuring out how to copy a mySQL database from one site to another.

Once I get my main site set up, i'm wanting to turn it into a multisite, and host other sites within the brand.

I need some direct communication with someone who understands these things.

Help?

• Griffin

okay! Well, first off. Morning! (at least here it is)
    Super-excited. I didn't even know there* were * multisites or buddypress!

Okay. Environment. Currently hosted on Dreamhost.

Got the first issue taken care of, which was I wanted the mySQL database from my beta site copied to my brand (stable) site. This got done. It was a somewhat harrowing yet educational journey through terminal, shell commands, a deluge of arcane FAQ's and a help desk.

Now I am learning.

I wish to turn my single wordpress install into a multisite that I can then implement a number of other pages into. eCommerce pages, a visual wiki, other users within the awesome mystical BRAND environment that i'm creating.

So yes. Site B into a multisite. Exploring ways to create a multisite-wide brand with the elements I listed above. Creating a community network within that multisite.

I am curious since I am currently on Dreamhost. Do you recommend sub-domains or sub-directories? What if I have to move the entire site at some point to another server? I want to plan ahead. For now, i'm focusing on the visual design and content, creating brandwide visuals, etc.

What say you?

• aristath

Hello again @Griffin,

I'm sorry for the delay on this post, I just had a day off.

Subdomains or subfolders is simply a matter of personal preference.
    Subfolders are generally easier to setup and don't require you to mess around with your DNS entries etc, so if you are not comfortable editing your DNS entries I would suggest subfolders.

Converting a site to multisite is pretty easy and straight-forward following the instructions on this page: http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

If you need any further assistance to hesitate to post back here!

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.