How do I update UF theme?

Hi Support Superheroes,

I'm in a bit of a predicament - how can I best put this? I built a custom structure (with the help of Dimitris, Predrag, Adam and Sajid) with Upfront as the main theme although I installed WPMUDev Dashboard plugin first, followed by Upfront Builder. It told me I needed the UF theme, so I agreed and the WPMUDev dashboard plugin installed it (the UF theme) for me.

Trouble is, now whenever I click on the UF editor to go into its special D&D (Drag-and-drop) mode (with CSS presets and the like), there is this nag screen telling that there is a newer edition or version of the UF theme available and that I should update. When I click on Update theme, however, it brings me to the themes page where no particular theme is selected and the UF theme is invisible (somehow). :blush: How do I update what I can't see or touch (click with my mouse)?

Please aid as this is quite distressing and I've been Proceeding to Edit (as this is the other only accessible option) regardless, but I would love to get rid of that nag screen and have my theme be up-to-date.

Thank you so much.

Sincerely,
Caleb

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hey there caleb.mkdaman

You should see an update available under the Themes tab in your WPMU DEV Dashboard of your site admin.

If, for some reason you don't see it there, you should also be able to update UpFront from your Hub here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/hub/my-websites/

Select the site you're working on, then click the Themes tab. You should see an Update button for any themes that need updating, including UpFront.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again caleb.mkdaman

I saw that you still have support access enabled, so I logged into your site and see that your custom theme does not even appear in your Dashboard under Appearance > Themes, or under Upfront > Builder.

I haven't been able to replicate this scenario on my multisite test network; the Builder works flawlessly and successfully adds the new custom theme to where it should. So I'll set up a new single test site to see if I can. I'll be right back in here once I get some results, whatever they may be. :slight_smile:

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hey there caleb.mkdaman

Got good news and bad. The good first: I've manged to reproduce the issue on my new test site. The only way to have a new theme created in Builder, not have it appear anywhere in your admin, and get that prompt to update Upfront every time you go to edit your theme is if you starting building without first giving your new theme a name under Upfront > Builder.

The bad news is that in order to stop that prompt from re-appearing, and ensure that your theme continues to work properly, and can be found where expected in your admin, is to start fresh. But this time, be sure to give the theme a name first.

• caleb.mkdaman
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Argh :cry:

There's no way to update the core without having to start afresh, Patrick?

How am I going to reproduce my (current) theme when it is already near completion and the client wants to see it? Can't I just ignore this prompt every time and proceed?

I feel like giving up then.

Caleb

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again caleb.mkdaman

I hope you're well today!

I got word back from one of the Upfront developers about this issue.

Even though you have the Upfront Builder installed on your site, you have a customized Upfront theme clearly active there. That means that instead of creating a new theme in Builder, you had begun customizing the Upfront parent theme by clicking either the Upfront button in the adminbar, or the Customizer link in the Appearance menu.

The distinction here is that when customizing the existing Upfront theme - or child-theme like Parrot, Fixer, etc - you are writing changes to your database as you change things in that theme. However, when you create a theme in the Builder by first giving it a name, you are actually creating a brand-new child-theme that can be downloaded & saved externally, and even exported to use on other sites.

So, in this case, you really have nothing to worry about. As long as Upfront is present on your site, your changes will be reflected on the site.

I hope this helps clear things up.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.