How do I upgrade sites on older versions of WordPress

How do I upgrade sites on older versions of WordPress in a development server environment. I have HostGater shared servers that I can create a folder and copy a site into.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @mack_biggs,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

The best way to do this is with the auto updater in the WordPress admin area, though I would always advise to take a complete database and folder backup first.

You can use PhpMyAdmin to export the database and copy all folders using FTP.

Or is this a extremely old (3.0 and less) and your looking to upgrade? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing
        • Code Norris

Hi there @mack_biggs,

Hope you're well today, in this case. I would strongly recommend replicating your site exactly on a testing site.

Do the upgrade on the testing site, if it works, backup the live site and then upgrade.

A upgrade from 2.8.4 to 3.9 is a major upgrade, make sure all plugins are deactivated before upgrading, it's possible a old plugin could also break the site if it hasn't been upgraded in a while.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
        Jack.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hey there @mack_biggs

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you aboard!

Upgrading WordPress is a rather painless experience, whether is live or on a development environment.

Simply visit the Available Updates screen in your network admin under Updates in the sidebar menu. Then click the update button.

Then visit the Upgrade Network screen and click the button there. WordPress will automatically update all sites in the network.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.