How do I upload my WP site to your hosting if I just have the downloaded Zip file.

I want to upload a site I downloaded from a previous backup from a different hosting service. I don’t have access to the original site just the file I downloaded. Is there a way to just upload a directory to your hosting server.

• Nebu John
    • Staff

Hi Avery-Dante ,

Hope you are doing good and thank you for reaching out to us.

Yes, you can upload the files using SFTP. Please create a an SFTP account from the hosting panel and upload the files using an FTP application like Filezilla (path should be /site/public_html/ in the WPMUDEV container).

Note: Do not over-write the wp-config.php file.

Next, you will have to import the database from your backup. You can import the database into the database of the new site via phpMyAdmin. You should first delete all database tables of the new site (not the database itself, but the tables that are in there), then import the exported database.

After migrating the database, you may be using a different database prefix most probably, so you should edit /site/public_html/wp-config.php file and replace it with the prefix of the imported database.

Hope that was some help! Let us know if further assistance is required here!

Kind Regards,
    Nebu John

• Avery-Dante
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Nebu John It seems I’m having some issues overwriting a decent amount of the files. I’m trying to just delete them and uploading the same files from my backup but I keep getting a permissions error and it says to contact my hosting service. I attached an image for one of the errors I got. I’m using Cyberduck as my FTP client.

• Nebu John
    • Staff

Hi Avery-Dante ,

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with deleting the files.

I tested this on my lab site and I was unable to replicate this issue. Further, I tried to delete some of the random files from your site which I was able to do without any issues.

This seems to be an issue with the client software that you are using, can you try this with another software?

If the issue still persists, please get back to us with the directory names, so that we can help you with removing them.

Kind Regards,
    Nebu John

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.