How do I use CustomPress in setting up the directory options?

Hi there! So I've read through the setup guides for both "Directory" and "CustomPress" and I've attempted to set up the plugins, but it's not working as planned. Help me please!

My goal is to create a directory that lists Connect Groups around the city. The group's leaders should be able to fill out a quick form with their group's description, answer a few questions about meeting location, dates, times etc., and upload a group profile pic. Then someone looking for a group should be able to view the listings or search the directory for a group that meets their interests and contact the leader (w/o revealing the leader's contact info). Similar to this: https://secure.accessacs.com/access/mydashboard/sgavailablegroups.aspx

SET UP?
I've set up my custom roles (Connect Group Leader & Connect Group Member). Using CustomPress I've created my custom post type of "Connect Group". I have the custom fields where the questions are, and I've set it so that these questions appear on both the Connect Group post type and the default Directory Listing post type. Do I even need a custom Connect Group Post Type or will the default Directory Listing be sufficient?

LISTINGS VIEW?
How do I customize the listings on the complete listings page - (http://dev.everynationnyc.org/listings/) so that it looks more like my example - not in style, but content? i.e. - Shows the photo thumbnail, topic, leader(s), location, excerpt, meeting start date, meeting day of the week and time etc.

Then when you click on the "Read More", I'd like for ALL of the details to show along with a google map to the location. Is this possible to create with this plugin?

SEARCH FEATURES?
Also, is there a search feature to be able to search the listings in general or by specific criteria?

I know this is a lot to start so please let me know if I need to break it down into smaller bits :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance,
Tammy

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Tammy,

I hope you are well today and thanks for your question.

Your going to need add custom fields to your custom post type, I would personally recommend sticking with the directory listing post type.

Then, add your custom fields to the dir_listing post types, you may need to modify your theme to display the output of the custom fields, have you added any custom fields currently?

How does the form look when you fill it out from the admin end?

For searching I'd recommend using something like this http://wordpress.org/plugins/relevanssi/ :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• thegreenm

Thanks Jack. So I've removed the additional post type and now I'm working with the default "directory_listing" post type. I have added several custom fields which all appear now when filling out the form.

Which file do I modify to add those custom fields so that they show up when the new connect group post is viewed? It doesn't seem to use the single.php to display the custom post's output. Also, what's the best way to add all of the directory plugin stylesheets while still using my current theme?

Also, in the Edit Post Types options within CustomPress there is a section on the bottom left that's called "Display Custom Fields columns - These custom fields will be displayed as columns on the custom post type screen.". Do I need to do anything with those check boxes? To test it I checked a few and I can't see it having any effect anywhere.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Tammy,

I hope you are well today, thanks for the additional information.

They should be showing by default, though if there not don't worry we can edit the loop, most likely index.php or similar within your theme, which theme are you using?

The directory style sheets should be automatically loaded with any theme, are you having styling issues?

You can ignore those check boxes for now :slight_smile:

Do you want to create a custom single.php for your custom post type?

I'm here to assist :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.