How do new members activate their accounts?

This may be because I am testing it within a Paypal sandbox environment and also developing locally so I'm not sure, but I would expect the user to receive an email where they click a link to activate? If so, I don't appear to be receiving it.

This is what I'm doing:

1. Step 1 - I fill out the register form (username, email, password) and click "register my account".

2. Step 2 - On the next screen I subscribe to my desired subscription plan and pay for the subscription on the paypal sandbox site. The purchase is successful and I can return to the site if need be.

After paying on the Paypal side of things, nothing really happens. If i go to "Edit members" in the plugin, I can see that the user I signed up as is "Inactive", and if I also visit the WP users page I see the user as a "subscriber". The only email I receive is the standard WP one from signing up as a subscriber.

So is there another email that should come?

• Steven
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Also, If I manually activate the user I added, they still don't have anything in the "subscription" or "membership level" columns. If I then add a subscription, the membership level automatically populates with the correct info.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Andrew,

Are you able to add subscriptions or membership levels to members at Membership > Edit Members?

In the member list, when you hover your mouse over a member you should see the options appear to Add new subscriptions or membership levels to the members.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Andrew,

No, the member should be added to the appropriate subscription and level automatically. :slight_smile:

I'm going to ask the developer to respond here, but are you getting any messages from PayPal when you return to the site after payment?

You are trying this as a new user, correct? not as Super Admin?

• Steven

Phew, that could have been hard work :slight_smile: If I check the Paypal test email area, I receive the emails for the merchant and buyer, like the ones below:

"You have a new automatic payment profile for Test User" (for the merchant)
    "You set up an automatic payment profile to Andrew Munro's Test Store" (for buyer)

Yes, I'm logging out of Wordpress first and setting up a new user, starting from Step 1.

• Steven

Just implemented a shopping cart (cart66) on another site and that also uses paypal express (but not subscriptions). After completing the purchase via paypal, it redirects me back to a "thanks" page that I specify, and from there I can enter my username/password etc to become a member of that site. Does this membership plugin work in the same way? I don't see anywhere in the options to enter any API details for paypal express or setup a thanks page like I had to do with cart66.

And just something else I have noticed. When the user becomes a "subscriber" straight after Step 1. I can't login with the login details that are emailed through. It says "Sorry, this account is not active". Hmm... hope it's not a WP setting I accidentally unticked or something.

If I enabled "incomplete signups" from the membership options then I can login after receiving the intial email from WP.

Edit: I'm starting to think it's because I don't have IPN setup? What's the IPN notifcation URL I need to enter? Probably not going to work anyway because I'm working locally on my machine.

• Steven

Ok I'm working on the live site now, IPN seems to be working because the user is now being activated once they return to the website, hooray.

Probably worth adding something to the docs to warn people about the dangers of working on a local dev server and trying to test the plugin with paypal :slight_smile:

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Andrew,

Thanks for the follow up and glad to hear it's all resolved. Yeah, local installs can cause problems with testing gateways and email subscriptions :stuck_out_tongue:

Glad you got it sorted and we'll look at ways to note people to watch for this in the future.

Thanks again!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.