How do reference the renamed file when using Membership -> Download/Media -> Complete protecti

I have been able to successfully set up and use the Basic level of protection. However, if I select Complete Protection, I do not see any way to change the filename or refer to the new, changed filename. I do not see anything in the instructions that explains how to create a link to a file that has complete protection.

Actually, I didn't see any instruction on how to build a link to the Basic protected file, either, but I just manually changed the pathway listed on the links on my site.

My question is, how do I create a link to the file that has complete protection on it?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Shawn

I hope you are well today and thanks for your question.

Unfortunately as it stands there's only one way for complete protection, detailed here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/content-masking-in-membership-plug-in#post-455181

What needs to be done is to create a page/post, insert the media, then copy the link from the front-end for the media.

I will add this as a feature request to get better download protection in place :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Shawn

Thanks. For the record, the plugin works fine. It was my understanding of what was happening that was poor. I think your instruction manual could use a small update to help people like me.

I thought I needed to reference the new filename when I wanted to create a link. But, the plugin automatically converts my existing, regular links to the new, protected one when the page is processed.

The reason I couldn't see the new links was because I was logged in as an admin and the links aren't converted for the admin. I saw the message that said as a Membership Admin I would see all protected content, but I didn't realize this meant that I would not see the converted links. Once I logged in as another user with the appropriate privileges, I saw the new link.

Judging by the questions in the comments about the Complete protection feature, I suspect other people have the same misunderstanding I had. You could clear it up by adding the following line to page 25 of your instruction manual:

"This option will convert your existing, regular links to the new, protected links automatically when the page is processed and delivered by WordPress. And, even if you have the plugin configured correctly and it is working properly, you will still not see the new links if you are logged in as an admin. You need to be logged in as a non-admin Membership plugin user with rights to the protected content to see the new links.
    You never need to copy and paste the new link unless you are using the link outside of WordPress, such as by emailing it. When adding protected content to a page or post, just use the regular link and WordPress will convert it automatically, hiding it from the end-user."

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.