How do the rep points work?

Hi Guys,

Could someone give me a run-down of how the rep points works on wpmu dev please.

I understand that gaining 1000 gives lifetime membership and that you can reward folk with points, but if you reward with points does it take off your own rep total? Also what is a good "yard-stick" of how many points should be granted where? i.e. generally 1 to 10 points based on difficulty, or is this way off the mark?

Cheers,

• 3SixtyEvolve

Greetings @boomgains

Rewarding another member of the community with reputation points will deduct from your own points. So if you have 50 points and you want to extend 5 points to someone for being helpful your points will go down to 45.

How much to give, when? This is a personal preference, I think. If you had a massive problem and you found someone being helpful, you can say thank you with as much points as you like. So 2, 5, 10, 20 or 64 - the choice is yours :slight_smile:

If you want to get your own 1000 points, just be helpful on the forums. That's all it takes :slight_smile: When you're helpful you will find most folks will reward you for your assistance.

And remember, every time you post you also earn points. So happy posting!

https://premium.wpmudev.org/1000-rep-points/

All the best.

Gina

• Jonathan

don’t go posting 1000 one word posts just yet, because in order to qualify you have to have at least 10 genuine gifts of rep points from 10 individual users and at least 400 of your rep points must have been gifts

If you do the calculations as in man hours to solve problems, offer solutions - it is cheaper to just be a paying member here :wink: But if you naturally like to help out, and aren't too bothered about getting points, then you will find folks give you points. If you want points, folks usually don't give em. I know, doesn't make sense right - lol. Just help as much as possible without expecting anything in return - that way when someone gives you some points its like WOW! didn't expect that kind of feeling.

And if someone helps you, or you see someone doing something that deserves points, drop some on them. You will be surprised how many folks look at other peoples reputation streams.

Jonathan

• PC

Heya All,

I am amongst those who watch reputation stream for other members, it really guides you to read the approach they use to solve the problems.

I would just like to say one thing, keep on going the extra mile and out of the way to help others, this is not just of rep points or earning the lifetime membership so as you can save money on the renewal of the membership, but also it will increase your domain knowledge and when you will implement that knowledge in the website you are designing or any project you are working on, you will find the earnings increasing exponentially. Saving money will only buy you a pair of shoes but helping others, is not only a good feeling but also helping yourself gain knowledge :slight_smile:

Not to stretch it too long, (I was a content writer before, and I really sucked at that :smiley:) I would like to say, Help others and rewards would be on your way :wink:

Cheers
    PC

• boomgains

@PC, thanks buddy. Feels strangely good to receive some points :slight_smile:

GinaB and Jonathan, thanks also for your responses.

I get the motivation behind the points and understand that getting involved in supporting and helping others in this dev community is what it's all about. I just wanted to be clear about the point giving etiquette as I wouldn't want to offend someone who has put a lot of effort into helping by giving them a less than deserved reward. Similar to how some people tip in restaurants I guess :wink:

Thanks again though for the responses and the cookies. The take away I guess is to get stuck in and help others where possible as what goes around, comes around.

Cheers,

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

Just to chime in here. I always mention to people RE points that I love to receive thanks it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling lol.

So when applicable if they do that through points then never more than 1 is needed for me because I don't need the points it would be silly for someone to waste ten points on me. So 1 point a little note is always cool to me :slight_smile:

I know some of the guys here look at this in terms of time it saved them. So if you provided a solution which saved for example the developer say an hour of development time he might gift you 50+ points. If its a quick hand tip for a member then it might be 5 points.

Really depends on the person I suppose. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• PC

Yeah Tim you are right,

For me, its always a lot different from the tips we receive in general. Its like, if you do some research and offer a solution which helps the other save time and reach a conclusion or even a path forward, and you receive a few points in return, that is really helpful in reaching the landmark and also its motivating.

@boomgains, see, I told you it feels good to receive points :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC

• 3SixtyEvolve

Great reading everyone's responses on this thread.

Giving is always good, regardless of whether you receive something back. I believe that the energy we send out into the universe when giving do eventually return to us in some form or another.

And @boomgains, if you have only 10 points and you reward someone who worked hard at finding a solution for you with only 1 point, you are giving within your own means. People assisting here on the forum are not driven by the rep point rewards they get, but when they receive a thank you I know it means a lot. So don't worry about how much to give. Just saying thank you is enough already. And of course, if you feel very generous you can give as much as you like. :slight_smile:

Warm fuzzy feeling Tim :slight_smile:

Have a good weekend everyone!

• Jeremy Paris

The last comment was 8 months ago, but the topic is still relevant because you asked the exact question that I was looking for the answer for...and you received the responses that I would have hoped to get. For that I tossed a cookie your way as well.

Without even trying you bettered the community by asking the question and leaving a trail of breadcrumbs for others to stumble upon months later. A good lesson that points aren't just given by a specific person for helping that specific person...they could be residual.

Jeremy

• jay_smull

Okay, I didn't understand this point thing I kept seeing so I decided today to look at what this was all about. I think I am understanding the system here but the people that need the most help are the ones with no points. They are new like me and just learning. You guys are the experts and help us so much. But yet we have no points to give. I don't know how many points I actually just gave a guy who helped me because I didn't realize I had to have the points to give them. I wish I guess that I could give the points someone is worth regardless of me having the points or not myself to give. Does that make since?

Anyway, sorry for those who I didn't know about the point system and didn't give points or to those that I tried to give more points than I had because you have all been so very helpful! This is the best community I have ever been a part of.

• Gregg

I'm new here, did a search for "How do points work", read this post and still don't understand how this point thing works.

I'm not worried about anything for me, but if someone answers my question, I assume they should get some points. But, what's the value of point? Should a point feel like the equivalent of a dollar, a penny, a high five?

Early in the thread, @GinaB said,

"How much to give, when? This is a personal preference, I think. If you had a massive problem and you found someone being helpful, you can say thank you with as much points as you like. So 2, 5, 10, 20 or 64 - the choice is yours :slight_smile:"

2-64 is a pretty big spread there. I'm lost. If there's a clear thread that answers this, let me know. Otherwise, management may want to post something as a guideline. For a good answer, I will award them something between 42.5 and a zillion points :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

You earn points when you post, this is how you can gain them.

You can treat them like a dollar if you wish, you can call them a high five if you wish.

What Gina was sayings was if someone told you where to find a setting, then perhaps that's worth a couple of points to you.

If someone gave you some CSS or some PHP that saved your time, then perhaps it's worth more to you. If you had a developer make it then it might have cost you $50, or a few hundred dollars. That would surely be worth more points.

If someone translated a plugin and it saved you 5 hours of work, how would you value that.

Sure if it makes it easier to comprehend then consider each point a dollar, or more.

If it's staff helping you and you want to show appreciation (we love it too!), then just give us 1 point. It never needs to be more. We don't need the points, but it's the nice messages we love to read, it's a great motivator :slight_smile:

Take a look to see some of the points I've been rewarded:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/profile/tim/reputation

Even better, we have loads of fantastic members that love to help each other out. You could take a peek at what they've been rewarded before:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/profile/isarmstrong/reputation

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/profile/pxwm/reputation

This is just a couple of examples, hopefully it should give you some guidance. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Oneness

Amazing words:
    3SixtyEvolve

If you want to get your own 1000 points, just be helpful on the forums. That's all it takes :slight_smile: When you're helpful you will find most folks will reward you for your assistance.

Jonathan

But if you naturally like to help out, and aren't too bothered about getting points, then you will find folks give you points. If you want points, folks usually don't give em. I know, doesn't make sense right - lol. Just help as much as possible without expecting anything in return - that way when someone gives you some points its like WOW! didn't expect that kind of feeling.

Thanks Everyone

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Janice,

If you look at your profile here in the thread, you'll see that there's a bar with a number to the right of it. As of this post, you've got 4 reputation points. :slight_smile:

You can also see how many reputation points you have if you go to your profile page (just click the "wpmudev" on the left of the membership bar above, when logged in), and look at "Your Reputation" on the right side of the page.

Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.