How do updates work

Hi, if I have a plugin all configured and then an update is available but not through the wp-admin panel, and I upload the plugin via ftp, will it wipe out all of my customizations, database settings?

Thanks

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Atlanta,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

and I upload the plugin via ftp, will it wipe out all of my customizations, database settings?

Concerning the database absolutely not. FTPing nor deleting files via FTP has any effect at all on the database or the setting it contains.

If you are referring to customized files that are present in the folder you are FTPing absolutely because they will be overwritten by FTP or the internal upgrade mechanism as well.

I have a question for you though, what happened to the extremely WordPress bright and talented Atlanta we seen in here just a month or so ago?

Cheers, Joe

• Atlanta
    • Syntax Hero

Can somebody else answer my question, thanks.

By customizations I obviously don’t mean code customizations, I mean settings that a plugin lets you elect when you are logged in to the admin panel.

If I manually upload a file via ftp will it wipe out the admin settings of the plugin?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Atlanta,

I answered the question completely and correctly.

If I manually upload a file via ftp will it wipe out the admin settings of the plugin?

Absolutely not.

The only chance you could wipe something like this is if you custom coded the files on your server that you are FTPing up.

But this action has no effect on the settings or data since they are kept in the database –> and you cannot over write the database files with FTP.

By the way, FTP is the most accurate way to update or upload files and far superior to the dashboard update.

Cheers, Joe

• Atlanta
    • Syntax Hero

When I asked for another person it was because your earlier comment about where the intelligent Atlanta had gone was offensive and clearly not in the spirit of the WPMU community and your developers and other support staff who spend countless hours fostering a user driven company. And for the record, other members of this community and I have had settings wiped out on admin panel upgrades, hence my reservation about the ftp method preserving settings.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Atlanta,

That is clearly not what I said and you obviously took it out of context which is to be expected I guess.

You also changed my wording, I never mentioned the word “intelligent” nor did I indicate this was a matter of intelligence, I do not pull my own teeth nor do my own xrays or heart surgery but that does not mean I am not intelligent.

But this does prove my theory that people are sharing these accounts and that was my intent, not to insult you, but it certainly answers my question – now to find out if it is indeed against the TOS.

And for the record, I said extremely WordPress bright and talented which has nothing to do with intelligence in general or talent about any other subject other then WordPress.

And for the record, other members of this community and I have had settings wiped out on admin panel upgrades, hence my reservation about the ftp method preserving settings.

In this case it will be irrelevant if it is FTPed or otherwise.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.