How do we know its ok to update wordpress core updates?

How do we know its ok to update wordpress, Due to plugin comparability of wpmu dev plugins?
Will wpmu dev says it ok?
will there be a warning somewhere?

Reason I asked I updated 9 or so months ago and it killed the install I could not recover I had to shut the site down. I don't want that to happen this time.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya n2rga,

We'll definitely let you know if we think there'll be any issues with our plugins. We guarantee to have them all up to date - normally within 24 hours of release.

Particularly with this update to WordPress we're not anticipating any huge issues. The main thing to watch for is that they've updated the version of jQuery that is included so you may have an occassional JS conflict - nothing that would bring down an entire site.

Personally, I wait till the .3 version of any release (so WP 3.2.3) or 6 weeks whichever comes first. Unless there are security vulnerabilities to be addressed I prefer to let others test it on their install before I do an update on a live site. Just me though. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

• HamRadioDude
    • HummingBird

That's a good way of doing it.
    I'm the type of person that loves to beta test I like the new release and to find and get used to the software before anyone else so when a new release comes out with out thinking I hit update.
    Well that has changed since the last time things have gone bad for me . But I will wait for a while after a new release and see what develops.
    thanks

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Yeah, I'm the same as you - love BETA testing software. I have development and sandbox environments both locally and on server's for that exact purpose. That way I can get my fix of playing with the latest and greatest, but I keep clear of using it on any production site. Not worth the danger of pulling down a client's site!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.