How do you actually show custom posts/axioms graphically on the home page?

Hello,

Excuse my lacking knowledge, but how exactly do you use the wordpress custom posts/axiom feature (and plugin) to make a site like this: t j e k akasse.dk/ (put the letters together.

How do you go from having a custom post with some values to actually showing something like that? I need something very basic step by step please.

Thanks!

• Kimberly

yesyes10,

Hello and Welcome to WPMU forums!

I am not quite sure what plugins you are referring to, there are many custom post plugins, but I did check the link and I'll see if I can get you moving in the right direction :slight_smile:

The first thing you would need to do is choose a theme.

If you navigate your Dashboard to Appearance>Themes you will find a great list of pre-installed wordpress themes. If you would like to add another there are countless others available, there is even a handy filter for you to pick and choose by features :slight_smile:

After you choose your theme you can install a custom post type template or use the one included with your theme. If you use a custom post type plugin you will see the option to use your custom post type on the Add New Post editor.

I hope this helps to put you in the right direction.

Please let me know if you need anything else!

Best,

Kimberly

If this thread is not resolved because the suggested action did not work or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

• yesyes10

Hi Kimberly,

Thanks for your reply.

I know I came off as a noob in my question. I am actually quite well versed in Wordpress and can even hack some PHP. I simply have no idea how to 'style' the data in custom posts to appear on the front page in a certain way. I have downloaded your plugin but all I see is the option to enter data in specific fields (which I can create). So I understand that I can enter the data I need such as different criteria and such for product comparisons, but how do I make them look a certain way? How do I for example make them look like the site I posted in the OP for example with a logo, star ratings, info boxes, text box and such put together in columns and different formatting. I hope this clarifies what I am looking to do.

• Kimberly

yesyes10,

I have very "noob" questions myself very often :slight_smile:

I don't think it has to do with being noob or not, just experiencing new part of wordpress! I for one am a nope at php, not even a noob yet :slight_smile:

The majority of what you will be looking for can be controlled by your theme. For instance, the site you like has a sidebar with widgets you can use wordpress or create a simple one using html in a text widget. Add a text widget to your sidebar, throw in some text and a href link to a picture and you've got what they have, voila!

The post formats are controlled by your page template, it may be worth looking at a template from a theme you like to see what is going on there (since you're savvy with php already)

We have a couple like this one that create blocks with drop shadow. You will need to familiarize yourself with a css file as well.

Those are the elements that control your site. My suggestion, same as earlier would be to find a theme and familiarize yourself with the relevant info on the parts of the page that you like.

Creating a Child theme https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/create-a-child-theme-for-wordpress-in-one-click/
    is a must for a project like this. I will allow you to use a theme with the bones you like while customizing the look without worry of it being overwritten on an update.

Hope this was a little better of an explanation for you :slight_smile:

Kimberly

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.