How do you best assess the bandwidth contention ratio?

I am fairly new to the world of WPMU.

I use a hosting resellers package to host my network.

The question I have is this – if i have, say 200 blogs running, each advertised with a 1Gbps per month bandwidth, it would be silly to limit the number of blogs I host by the total reseller bandwidth I get by the number of blogs, rather it strikes me as more intelligent to take a view on bandwidth at anyone time and apply a contention ration, albeit manually applied.

Any idea, as a starting point what, for a network of blogs all hosted on the same server in the UK, what an appropriate contention ratio for bandwidth might be?

Andy.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Andy,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

Interesting idea here, what sort of sites are they going to be? If they are going to be heavy on media, the contention ratio is going to need to be quite high.

As you may say, have 100 sites, each have 100 users hit the pages at the same time, so that is 10,000 visits at once. Which could eat up the bandwidth depending on the type of site. Please advise :slight_smile:

This is a reseller hosting account correct? Would you mind telling me who it is with? :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• brumbino
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I’m with Hostnine – US based with UK servers. I have 100Gbps of bandwidth per month but for the domain I intend to run Multisite and WPMUDev stuff on, I’ve given it 50Gbps for now – it’s a shared seller account (i.e. my reseller package is on servers that other reseller packages are on).

It’s a chicken and egg question I think….

I am setting up a network to give feature rich websites to charities and not-for-profit organisations in the UK.

The simple fact is I don’t know what type of content they are likely to have, but I was wondering what I should allow (and set as a chargeable extra! :o) )….

Can you even set a bandwidth by each blog site in a network?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Andy,

Thanks for the additional information, I have been talking about this with a colleague and it sounds like you have enough bandwidth to start with :slight_smile:

With a multisite install you can’t actually set a limit for bandwidth, but what you could do is charge for the upload quota? Maybe that would help you limit it a bit, as the lower the upload quote the less bandwidth they’d use.

You could use Pro sites for this and then charge for upgrades to get a bigger upload quota.

Thank you!

Kind Regards

Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.