How do you find a user that has cancelled their subscription

Hey,
We have a number of subscriptions that are still active which have been cancelled (they are not paying anymore but still have access).

I'm trying to clean them all out, but in some cases the info from the email and in PayPal is not the same as on the site... The email and PayPal do not show the username on the site, and if they used a different email, then there seems to be no way of finding the right account on our site to drop the subscription from.

Also, while doing this process, dropping subscriptions from the people who cancelled and did happen to use the same email as their PayPal email, it would be nice to have some way of adding notes to an account, so any admin user can read over any changes that were made throughout their membership on the website.

Anyway, PayPal doesn't seem to have any way of reconciling with our site/the membership plugin to make sure everyone that has access is actually paying. (we have nearly 200 non payers with access at this point which is not cool).

Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
Ben

• Michelle Shull

Hi Ben!

Your members who cancel their subscriptions should definitely have their access revoked as soon as their current subscription expires. Is that not happening at all for you?

If that's the case, I'd like to escalate this pretty quickly, so we can you get you locked back down. Would you mind granting support access? If this is ok, just grant me temporary admin access to

your site by clicking "Grant Access" button in the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings from

the following path and reply on this thread after granting it?

Admin -> WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access Tab

If you have not installed WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin yet, kindly do that here :

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-dashboard/ and then allow access as per the above process.

Thanks so much, Ben!

• Benbodhi Mantra

Hi Michelle,

It seems to be working for the most recent ones after a complete site rebuild.
    But there is a number of inactive PayPal subscribers with active accounts on our site. If they used a different email to sign up on our site to their PayPal one, we cannot go in and remove them because there is no common information between the PayPal cancellation and their account on our site.

I have granted support access now, thanks for taking a look!

• Michelle Shull

Hi Ben!

I looked around at your settings, and everything is fine there. We have updated Membership a few times since you've updated, so upping to the latest version is probably a good idea, even if it won't have an effect on this issue.

I'm glad it's currently working, so at least the problem isn't getting worse! Small thanks, I know, but at least we're still just dealing with old members, not new ones.

I'm going to flag the dev, who may have the secret sauce we're looking for to find and drop the the old-time freeloaders (just kidding, I'm sure they're lovely people) without the current hunt and peck method you've had to employ here.

Our devs are the very best, but they're also pretty busy, so it may take a bit before we hear back, but if I hear anything before you do, I will definitely keep you posted.

Thanks, Ben! Hope your Sunday is going great. : )

• Benbodhi Mantra

Hi,
    I have just noticed that there is a problem in the way cancellations work.
    Here is an example:
    1. Someone signs up for a monthly payment subscription, which should give them one month's access.
    2. At exactly one month, PayPal should charge them again and it extends their expiry date.
    3. Should they miss a payment, PayPal tries a second time a few days later.
    4. If this payment goes through, the expiry period in the membership plugin should stay as the original date (but it does not, it extends to the new payment date, effectively giving up to a week of free access for missing a payment).

Here is another example that is a problem:
    If a user signs up for a monthly subscription (or yearly for that matter), then some time down the track before the next payment date (even after the next payment date if they miss the first one like example above), then their expiry period is valid until the full length of the subscription after the cancel date.
    We have people signing up for a monthly subscription, then cancelling 2 weeks later, only to get a total of 6 weeks on the site.
    Due to the dates not syncing with PayPal, it is also hard to track these subscribers down.

There has been a huge amount of manual work lately and it seems that there has been increasingly more as time goes by and we have more subscribers.

A huge timesaver would be the ability to add notes to any user and to search via transaction ID from wp-admin rather than having to dig in the database.

Just a few more notes to add to this membership problem

• Benbodhi Mantra

after re-reading, that may not be very clear...

A user signed up on the 21st August 2014 for a monthly subscription. Their expiry date should be 21st/22nd September 2014 unless the next subscription payment is made (automatically through PayPal).
    They obviously had no money in their PayPal account and payment was deferred, during which time both the subscriber and the merchant are notified that they "will try again in a few days".
    During this few days (8 in this case), the subscriber cancelled their subscription on the 29th September 2014, which then made the expiry date on our website 22nd October 2014.
    This subscriber effectively paid a single payment upon signup for the first month but ended up with 2 months access.

This to me is a massive issue and I would appreciate some solid feedback.
    I should note that it does not happen all the time, it seems to work fine if they cancel during the standard period, it may just be related to the missed payments and how they are processed.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.