How do you make money with your WP site?

Do you use Adsense to make money on your WP site? If so any tips on how to optimize it best?

Or do you use any other ad networks to make money on your wordpress site you can suggest or plugins from WPMUdev that help you make money from your site users/visitors?

Thanks for any tips you can share!

Joe

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Joe,

Hope you're well today! Hopefully some of our great members can provide their tips and tricks for you here. :slight_smile:

When your site is reasonably popular, you could take a look at something like buysellads which is my personal preference to adsense, personally I got much more through that than adsense, as you charge a set fee per ad space per month. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack

• Imperative Ideas

Web advertising is a fickle master.

First, in order to attract advertisers, you need oodles of quantified traffic (Google Analytics and Quantcast) that fit your advertiser's demographic. Ironically, it costs a lot of time and money to build up that sort of traffic. Unless you're using a drop-in system like Google AdWords, you just won't pick up worthwhile individual clients for less than 25,000 eyeballs a month.

Ironically, if you design your adverting space poorly, you'll have two more problems. It'll drive away users, it'll be blocked by AdBlock Plus, or both.

There are lots of creative ways to monetize a site, some of which include running special content with your sponsor instead of slapping ugly banners up all over the place. Banner advertising died a horrible death ten years ago, but shhh, don't tell that to the banners.

However you elect to monetize your site, you are going to be dealing in CPM. You can review the average CPM by industry in this article here: http://monetizepros.com/blog/2014/average-cpm-rates/

The site itself will answer lots of your most important questions.

• Imperative Ideas

I recently did a business process consulting gig with a large non-profit regarding monetizing their community. They thought they wanted to build out a major BuddyPress or PHPFox implementation, effectively creating a social network devoted to energy conservation. Their intended endgame was to charge for memberships.

Long story short, I managed to convince them that their path to sustainability lay in leveraging an active user base, not bleeding it. My professional recommendation was that they continue to give the community a free platform for discussing their issues. I suggested that this be expanded into live webinar sessions at industry conferences, strengthening and deepening a connection with the community.

Where's the profit? You might ask.

The profit is in then leveraging that deep knowledge of industry issues into a successful consulting practice. Does a major corporation need to know how a product or service will be received? Do they need a vocal beta testing group? Great! We can do that for $75,000. Does a business need to recruit 100 likely buyers for market research? Sure, I can assemble that group for you, for $150 per qualified lead. As such, they needed to scale up their content creation, not invent limits.

What I suggested was that the company become a go-to point of reference for all B2B research and testing, instead of trying to charge community members for the privilege of granting them that position.

I don't know if this is relevant to you. If you're having trouble monetizing your content though, try inverting the model. Monetize your reputation as an authentic source instead. You may have better luck.

• jsegal

Thanks that sounds like you gave them good advice and I appreciate where you're coming from. Internet users expect everything to be for free at this point and of course companies like Facebook take advantage of that and sell people's data to advertisers and God knows who else?

What I'd like to do is create a place where people who may self identify as liberal could build a new community and know their data is not being sold or given away. I would like to have one sponsor which is my site http://www.DatingLiberals.com and let users join our affiliate partner program if they want so they too can make money sharing it.

That's the business model I have in mind. I no longer think building up a huge user base and serving ads to them is the way to go. It costs more to build than I could gain especially given my resources.

So now I'm working on how to take my existing content I've developed, some 130 articles and reformat it so it is edited into digestible small segments that can be easily read and shared. Then figure out how to effectively but unobtrusively advertising my membership site to users.

Something like this; http://liberalscreatingprogress.com/the-big-game/

Thanks!
    Joe

• Imperative Ideas

You're actually at a stage not unlike that of my big-project clients. Sometimes, before we even address the UX process, it helps to step all the way back to a review of the business plan.

Grab a copy of Business Model Generation and go through the steps involved in creating a canvas. If you have an iPad, grab the app, it's awesome. If not, you can start a project on their website. You can then generate half a dozen potential business models, including cost & revenue projections, in the course of a weekend.

Armed with this intensely powerful knowledge, you're ready to examine the UX process - which is way less scary than it sounds. In fact, you can read chapter 2 of Jesse James Garrett's Elements of User Experience online, for free, right here. If it speaks to you, buy the book, it's worth owning.

With your business model articulated and a strong sense of the UX process, I think you'll find these big questions begin to answer themselves. What trips up so many small business owners is that hard work tends to reduce one's field of vision to the present and tangible. It's hard to be disruptive while balancing a checkbook. These tools I linked - they will help.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Joe,

Personally to find the price that seemed to work, I took a look at the competition, done some research on their traffic, the sort of unique visitors they get. The content and then I went 10% more than they was priced at.

Why? Simply because I felt that my content was more well structured and I had a much lower bounce rate which is always a good selling point, I found their bounce rate in a old interview they had done, so I felt I was in a good position for doing that. :slight_smile:

Thanks @Imperative Ideas for your awesome posts as always. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.