How do you reset the "Spirit Theme" back to default settings?

Is there a way to resent the Spirit theme back to default settings? I am still learning CSS and accidentally deleted a page element in the Customize area that I wanted to keep. I had saved it and then realized I couldn’t undo what I just deleted. Urg.

I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling (deleting all the associate files as well) and it still comes back up with the way I left it.

Any suggestions?

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @martiel

Welcome to WPMU DEV, glad to have you aboard!

After saving, you should be able to "undo" an action. However, you cannot undo what was previously done before saving & exiting the Upfront editor. In other words, when you launch the Upfront editor, you cannot undo what was done during a previous editing session.

Upfront & its child-themes save all settings to the database. Essentially, any element you move/remove/edit on the Upfront theme, or make any change to the layout gets saved to the DB. The DB data then takes precedence over the theme layouts.

According to the lead designer, this is as much a limitation as it is a necessity. It also means that in order to re-set the theme layouts to defaults, the database must be editied.

To do so is really not complicated though, no fear. :slight_smile:

In phpMyAdmin, select the wp_options table (if you're running a multisite, the table will include the site ID in the prefix like: wp_43_options).

Then delete all options that begin with Spirit_ (see screenshot below). That will clear the database for the site where Spirit is active, and reset the theme to its default settings. You can then satrt over.

I hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• Mario
    • The Incredible Code Injector

There should be another option, if you’re playing with UpFront on a fresh website in a multi-site installation:

1. Create another dummy site

2. Activate the UpFront child theme that you want to reset on the dummy site

3. Clone the dummy site on the site where you were playing with UpFront using Cloner from WPMU

That should be it.

Anyway, I hope in future there’s going to be an option to just reset the theme to its defaults.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi guys, I hope you’re well today!

@marius

That’s a neat workaround, thanks. :slight_smile:

I also hope to see a “Reset” option in Upfront themes to make that job a whole lot easier.

@martiel

I’m going to mark this thread resolved for now. But if you need more help on this issue, simply check the “Mark as not resolved” box below to re-open the ticket.

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi there,

Another way to achieve this is to execute the following sql query in your WordPress database.

delete from wp_options where option_name like '%upfront%';

The above query will delete all the data saved by upfront theme, if you want to delete the data saved by its child theme like Spirit then just replace the upfront word in the above query with the spirit theme name like following.

delete from wp_options where option_name like '%spirit%';

If you’re running a multisite, the table will include the site ID in the prefix like: wp_43_options as described by patrick in his previous reply. In this case you have to use wp_43_options in place of wp_options in the above query as displayed below.

delete from wp_43_options where option_name like '%spirit%';

You will find information about how to execute sql queries in MySql on the following pages.

http://support.hostgator.com/articles/specialized-help/technical/phpmyadmin/how-to-run-sql-queries-in-phpmyadmin

https://www.siteground.com/tutorials/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin_mysql_query.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c50g_RXPZo

Note : Please take a backup of your database by exporting sql file of it or using the plugin like https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/ so that if anything goes wrong then you can recover from it.

Cheers,

Vinod Dalvi

• Michael Maliepaard
    • Flash Drive

I’ll just spell this out here because it wasn’t clear to me and I just lost all my content – this will clear all your upfront/spirit pages on your site.

I know someone is going to say something condescending about backups. My situation is complicated in that I’m using another pagebuilder for the landing pages, so I don’t want to restore the database – just in case I break that as well. Fortunately not too many back end pages to rebuild for me but it could be disasterous for others.

So then – “resetting” things in the options table does not set the system to use defaults (i.e. from then on as I incorrectly understood), it sets the pages back to how they were before you started. Headers, footers, content – all back to default.

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @m1ch431,

Using the above solutions the upfront settings are deleted from the wp_options table and it doesn’t delete any page/post.

If you have more questions about it then to help keep support tickets separate, could you please open a new thread for your new question https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

It also means the member who started this thread or anyone following it isn’t inundated with post notifications each time we respond to each other. A lengthy thread could annoy the original

You can also include reference of this thread in your newly created thread if you want to.

This helps to prevent any confusion (for us) as I’m sure you understand. Also this might help other members looking for a similar answer. :slight_smile:

We would be more than happy to help you on your new thread :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Vinod Dalvi

• Michael Maliepaard
    • Flash Drive

Hi Vinod, It’s not a separate topic. My point was to help anyone else stumbling on this post.

If you delete all the rows in your database containing %upfront% and %spirit%, then it removes the content on your pages, not the pages themselves. Apologies for the ambiguity in my statement.

To be clear, the pages are all there but all their settings are returned to default INCLUDING THE CONTENT ON THE PAGES. i.e. My carefully crafted copy, images & etc are removed and replaced by the Lorem Ipsum that was in the original template for that page.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the product but it’s cost me a good few days of productivity because of this cross-linking pages bug, which seems to be fixed now thanks. There now, we’re back on speaking terms. :slight_smile:

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

If you delete all the rows in your database containing %upfront% and %spirit%, then it removes the content on your pages, not the pages themselves. Apologies for the ambiguity in my statement.

You should only delete the rows from the database table wp_options and not from whole database.

• Brett
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

OK so I took a leap of faith here and unfortunately Michael is 100% correct.

I deleted all entries beginning with Spirit from the wp_options table ONLY and it wiped EVERYTHING from my pages. EVERYTHING.

It retained my new pages but they now have returned to their default status and I will have to completely start again.

I cannot begin to tell you how completely and utterly annoyed I am with this outcome.

Michael categorically stated that this is what would happen, only to be told several times that it wouldn’t. Incredibly disappointing.

I can also confirm that if you delete entries from the wp_option table via myPHPadmin as outlined here it will delete ALL of your work from your pages. ALL OF YOUR WORK.

So pissed right now.

• ic1980
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

just giving my 2cents after trying out Fixer theme… by default most themes in WordPress uses ‘Front page displays: latest posts’ option in its Settings. Therefore any changes to the theme option’s homepage will always be whatever the latest change is (this includes resetting theme data). To treat the design and page content separately, you will need to create a page (eg. my-home-page) first and set the settings to use the second option ‘Front page displays: [my-home-page]’ before proceeding to add/modify the design/content

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi there,

Just wanted to update you here that my colleagues @philipp Stracker and @ashok have developed a "Upfront Theme Manager" plugin attached to this reply that you can use to reset upfront themes and to export and import data from it.

Just download the plugin from here and install it on your site, after activating the plugin you will get the plugin options on the following path as shown in the attached screenshot to reset upfront themes and export / import their data.

Admin Area -> Tools -> Upfront Themes

Cheers,

Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.