How Does a user Upgrade or cancel a membership plan?

Just wondering, How Does a user Upgrade or cancel a membership plan?

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

You need to set up an account page and add in the [renewform] shortcode.

Have a look at the membership options page and you will see the area there where you can specify that page, and it will tell you what shortcodes you will need to include.

• Renaissance Media
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for asking this question, Steve.

We’d like to know about this, too. We need to be able to offer an upgrade/cancellation option for our subscribers as well. Some may opt for a 3 month access, then after a week or so decide that they want to stay on for 12 months instead, or that the service isn’t right for them and want to cancel.

We need an easy way to do that because the volume of subscribers is soon going to make it really difficult to do manually.

Warmly,

Nissa

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

The renew page only shows the the membership is set to automatically renew.

That means they are either on a subscription with paypal express and, as it says it is set to automatically renew, or they had their subscription added a different way – what gateway does it say they are on in the members page?

• Amir
    • New Recruit

Thanks to stevelight! I’m encountering the same thing. What if the customer want to cancel or upgrade their subscription where will they go?

I supposed it should be included in the My Account page but it’s not and i guess in any payment method they use they should have upgrade or cancel their subscription.

Thanks! Looking forward for help in this.!

• Renaissance Media

Any answer for this. It’s either a yes or a no. We can either do it or we can’t. If the answer is yes, then please explain. If the answer is no, then will you be working on adding that feature in the very near future? Seems only logical to have such a thing on this type of plugin.

This is a critical issue in our case. We can’t launch our current project without it and we’d prefer to stick with WPMU products.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Should it matter what the gateway is?

Yes, it matters a great deal. If you signed up with paypal express (where paypal manages the subscriptions) then you have to upgrade with that gateway and stay on it – you can’t move to another gateway(e.g. authorize.net or 2co) because there is no way for the plugin to cancel the original subscription with paypal (the cancelation has to be a use initiated step).

So, I’m afraid I’m going to have to ask again :slight_smile:

“what gateway does it say they are on in the members page?”

• Renaissance Media

In our case, we’re using authorize.net. So are there a shortcodes to add to the page for upgrade and cancellation? If not, how do we add those two options?

I’m sure folks would also be interested in the procedure for PP and 2CO as well. It may matter what gateway we’re using when explaining the procedure, but it doesn’t matter to those of us out here using the plugin. Still the same question regardless.

I appreciate your time in explaining each scenario. I’m sure everyone else will agree.

Many thanks,

Nissa

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi, I notice that you are not answering my question, it would help hugely for debugging if you could let me know the answer so that I can clarify if they are recorded on the correct gateway or not :slight_smile:

“what gateway does it say they are on in the members page?”

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Guys (and gals), you’ve told me what gateways you are using, which is the first step of the debugging, but I need to know what gateway the user you are not seeing an upgrade path was actually registered against so I can try to work out whether the problem is with the gateway you are using, the sign up form or something else.

So, if you can let me know, then we can try to work out why things aren’t displaying correctly.

• Renaissance Media

Barry:

We have PayPal Express set up for testing (site is not live yet). The account we are testing with was added to the subscription level by the admin, so the Gateway field on the “Edit Members” page indicates “admin”.

Am I to understand by your questioning, that the renewform shortcode will display different information depending on what gateway the transaction was processed with? At a minimum, it would be beneficial to have information on what subscription they are on and when it will expire (or automatically renew), rather than just listing that it is active.

I have seen other plugins that also list each payment (invoice) the user has made which would be a great enhancement.

Brian (for Nissa)

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

The account we are testing with was added to the subscription level by the admin, so the Gateway field on the “Edit Members” page indicates “admin”.

What you are seeing is correct then, as they were manually added by an admin user.

If they had signed up themselves and were on a gateway, then you would have the upgrade and renew options on the account page.

You can always move them to another gateway (there should be a move link under the gateway to allow you to switch it) then you should see the extra options.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Am I to understand by your questioning, that the renewform shortcode will display different information depending on what gateway the transaction was processed with? At a minimum, it would be beneficial to have information on what subscription they are on and when it will expire (or automatically renew), rather than just listing that it is active.

Yes, that page is controlled by the gateways. Re: information on when it will expire – if they signed up on a gateway, then yes this information would be there. When added by an admin it is assumed there is a special reason for that, and thus they are outside the normal processing.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings stevelight,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that’s great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the ‘Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)’ box below the post area (or else we’ll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.