How does Affiliate payout on ProSites with monthly payments?

Although I found some threads on this topic they are all 2-3 years old and responses at that time indicated solution in works for residual payments.

I am considering using Affiliates with Pro Sites. I have to payment options monthly and annually. 5 questions:
1. Where do you specify the amount you are paying?I don't see this field in settings nor in the usage section.
2. I read somewhere in threads that you can only set up a dollar value rather than percentage. I have 3 levels and 2 payment schedules - how can a specific dollar amount fit all 3 scenarios? Hopefully by now there is a % option - but again I can't find where this is specified.
3. If monthly is chosen by new subscriber, Does the affiliate program pay affiliate their commission for a year or only the first month?
4. When a subscriber renews an annual subscription, is the affiliate still paid a commission?
5. With such a sophisticated plugin - where is updated documentation? Reading through very old threads is not helpful because you don't know if the plugin has changed.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @antKat,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

We are working on improving the documentation for Affiliates and our other plugins :slight_smile:

In the mean time, go to network admin > affiliates > add-ons, activate the Pro site add-on.

Then in network admin > pro sites > settings, you can choose the dollar amount the affiliate receives for a one month, three month and twelve month payment. Currently there isn't a % available for this.

Currently the affiliate payout is not recurring and is the first payment only. Though we are looking into this for a future version :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• antKat

Thank you for the response. I found where the payment is specified in settings.
    However, there is only one commission per schedule option. I have 3 levels - shouldn't there be a commission value for each level?

It looks like the recurring option has been requested for years. If I pay out a higher dollar value (to equate to the commission % I would like to payout - I may overpay if the new subscriber cancels. Although I've tried to create an incentive so that new signups will opt for the annual, I also want to incentivize my affiliates - so a 1 time commission on a low cost service is not very good. Where can I indicate my recommendation for this feature?

• Paul

@antKat,

And just to followup from the Live Support chat conversations. Once you get the three tables cleared. Get setup for another link test. Make sure you have the affiliate add-on debug enabled. When you arrive to the site from the clicked link you should see the the debug yellow bar at the bottom of the front-end screen. It should tell you that a cookie was recorded for a specific user. I would stop there before you go into the Pro Sites signup and verify thins is recording properly.

Once you have checked the cookie then go to the Pro Sites signup. Then let me know how things turn out.

• antKat

Paul, I found the 3 tables. 2 had data that I deleted; the 3rd one, the referrer table did not have any data.

I performed another test and got the same results; the affiliate admins showed 1 click and 2 sign-ups and the network admin sites did not have a referrer for the new site.

Also, I expect that my users will promote the subscriptions via proactive emails rather than banner ads on their site. Is there a way for them to see an email option on the Affiliate Banners page. I realize they just need to get the url but I am expecting nontechnical users - the easier I can make it for them the better

• Paul

I performed another test and got the same results; the affiliate admins showed 1 click and 2 sign-ups and the network admin sites did not have a referrer for the new site.

Can you tell me on the signups what details does it show? You should be able to click on the period column to show the details.

Also, I expect that my users will promote the subscriptions via proactive emails rather than banner ads on their site. Is there a way for them to see an email option on the Affiliate Banners page. I realize they just need to get the url but I am expecting nontechnical users - the easier I can make it for them the better

The affiliate link will be recorded as long as incoming links have the affiliate reference. So technically they can just include the ?ref=xxxxx=12345 as part of the link within the email. There is not really a better way to handle this. unless you were thinking the Affiliate plugin could somehow server as an email broadcaster.

• antKat

Hi Paul,
    Testing again this morning. using a different computer. The debug is showing the cookie and the extended time frame I put in the config.php.

I clicked on the details on the affiliates admin, and see that the reason there are 2 signups is one is the blog and the other is the user. Is this the way it should behave. From the affiliate perspective they would assume they have double the signups based on a user also being considered a signup.
    Details:
    Date Type Note Amount
    April 3, 2014 9:25 AM Signup Blog: Tester 218 0.00
    April 3, 2014 9:25 AM Signup User: tester218 0.00
    April 3, 2014 9:22 AM Unique Referal http://web.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/mail?app=mail 0.00
    April 2, 2014 3:36 PM Signup Blog: Tester 217 0.00
    April 2, 2014 3:35 PM Signup User: tester217 0.00
    April 2, 2014 3:32 PM Unique Referal 0.00
    Period Balance 0.00

In the network - Admin - Sites, there still is nothing listed for the referrer of new blog.

In the table affiliate_records, there is a user_id and area_id in the records
    In the table affiliate referrers, it shows 1 record (only from the alt computer today) and none from the test I tried yesterday after deleted data from tables and clearing cookies.

Still a little confused. Not certain what SHOULD be normal behavior. I realize it is difficult testing from same location.

• Paul

@antKat,

Yes, apologies. With Pro Sites there is a user and a blog signup recoded. I forget this was added to the current version. In the new version coming you will be able to set commission levels based on each of these independently. And correct it will show 2 signups because well that is what is is. One for user and one for blog.

In the network - Admin - Sites, there still is nothing listed for the referrer of new blog.

Hmm. Looks like I need to test this today on my local site to see if there is a bug or issue. Will get back to you on this item.

The blog referrer is actually recorded as part of the blog's wp_options records. In the new blogs' wp_x_options table look for the row with the option_name = 'affiliate_referred_by'. The value should point to the User ID of the affiliate user.

You can run this SQL but change the table name to match the options table 'wp_23_options' for your new blog

SELECT * FROMwp_23_optionsWHEREoption_nameLIKE 'affiliate_referred_by' ORDER BYoption_name` ASC
    `

• Paul

@antKat,

This beta will solve your issue of not seeing the referral on the Blogs listing. The plugin was using an older hook to add the column output.

The other changes are just bug fixes no new development. Still waiting on details for another bug reported before I commit the final release of the plugin. Hope to be in the next 24 hours. So you can install the beta or wait for the release.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.