How does affiliate percentage work with pro-sites

After searching for how the affiliate percentage works in docs and support I couldn't come up with any definative answers, so perhaps you can shed some light on how it operates.

I can get to Pro-Sites > Settings > Affiliate settings and then change the select menu from a currency to a percentage.

However, what dictates the percentage. I'm in USD, so i see a dollar amount and a cents amount.

Is it the dollar amount I should be changing or the cents amount for each tier?

IN ADDITION:
Would be really great if this plugin got an update! IE...allowing a default settings for affiliates and the ability to individually craft the setting for each affiliate. Would be great if the settings for weather or not the payouts are re-occurring were not located in the wp-config.php settings, but were also containing the abilities to be tailor made.

But to start...would love answers on the current functionality of setting the percentage.

Thanks!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Ben,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The Affiliates payment settings for Pro Sites are not very complex and you can set either a percentage value or a fixed value. There's no relationship to the level but a payment period only.

With Pro Sites you can set price for a level for 1month, 3 months and 12 months so a user can select whether he/she wants to pay upfront for just a month, 3 months or for entire year.

Those available payment periods are reflected in Affiliates payment settings. There are three drop-downs for each period and the last one is "currency/percentage".

With "currency" selected (USD in your case) the first list is "round/full dollars" and the second one is cents. You can then set for example:

- 1.0 USD commission for 1 month purchase
    - 2.5 USD commission for 3 months purchase
    - 4.94 USD commission for a 12 months purchase

If new user signs up for a site (referred by affiliate) and selects 1 month payment, affiliate would get credited with $1 and so on. That is regardless of which level was selected and how much does it cost. It's a "fixed commission".

In case of percentage value first drop-down is "full percent" and the second one is a "fraction" so you may set for example:

- 1% for 1month payments
    - 2.5% for 2 month payments
    - 5.1% for 12 month payments

This is calculated based on an actual price of a level that's been selected. Let's say that there are two Levels and each of them has only 1 month and 3 months payments available.

1) "Fixed" example:

- Level A is 5 USD/1mo and 10 USD/3mo
    - Level B is 7 USD/1mo and 12USD/3mo

- 1mo commision is 1USD
    - 3mo commision is 2.5 USD

An affiliate will always receive 1 USD if a user selected 1 month payments and 2.5 USD if a user selected 3 months payment, regardless which level was selected.

2. Percentage example:

- Level A is 5 USD/1mo and 10 USD/3mo
    - Level B is 7 USD/1mo and 12USD/3mo

- 1mo commision is 10%
    - 3mo commision is 25%

Now if a user selects Level A an affiliate will receive
    - 0.50 USD if user selected 1 month payment (5 USD x 10% = 0.5 USD)
    - 2,5 USD if user selected 3 months payment (10 USD x 25% = 2.5 USD)

Similarly, if a user goes for a Level B an affiliate receives
    - 0.70 USD if user selected 1 month payment (7 USD x 10% = 0.7 USD)
    - 3 USD if user selected 3 months payment (12 USD x 25% = 3 USD)

Furthermore, you can "mix" commissions and set for example a "fixed commission" for 1 month payments (then affiliate will always get the same regardless of what level has been selected) and "percentage commision" for 3 and 12 months payments (and then if a user selects these payment periods a calculation will be performed as above).

I hope that's a bit more clear now :slight_smile:

As for the features suggested. I agree that these would be a handy features though I wouldn't expect them to be implemented anytime soon. You may want to post that in our "Features & Feedback" forum so other members of our community could give their vote and hopefully this would result in adding your ideas to a "future features" list.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Ben

Adam Czajczyk

Thanks for the detailed response.

Just to clarify:

I could set the amount to: $50.00 and switch the currency to % on the 1 month payment period. Then say somebody signs up for a level 1 site that has a charge of $10/mo in the 1 month payment period. With these settings, my affiliate would receive a $5 commission for his referral, correct?

In addition, if I had my affiliate setting at $200, then the commission for my affiliate would be $20.

Thanks Adam Czajczyk

• Dimitris

Hey there Ben,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

I could set the amount to: $50.00 and switch the currency to % on the 1 month payment period. Then say somebody signs up for a level 1 site that has a charge of $10/mo in the 1 month payment period. With these settings, my affiliate would receive a $5 commission for his referral, correct?

That's correct! Setting a 50% affiliate for 1-month payments will resolve splitting in half 10$ per month between you and referral.

In addition, if I had my affiliate setting at $200, then the commission for my affiliate would be $20.

I feel kind of lost here, could you please elaborate a bit more with me and try to rephrase this? :slight_smile:

FYI, there's been a recent update in Affiliates plugin which now also supports MarketPress v.3.xx.

Kind regards,
    Dimitris

• Ben

I feel kind of lost here, could you please elaborate a bit more with me and try to rephrase this?

Given the logic, setting the amount to $200 would be like saying the commision is 200% or in our example 2 x $10(first month fee) = $20

Right?

FYI, there's been a recent update in Affiliates plugin which now also supports MarketPress v.3.xx.

Thanks for the heads up. Will there be any chance you guys would look towards integrating woo-commerce?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Ben!

Given the logic, setting the amount to $200 would be like saying the commision is 200% or in our example 2 x $10(first month fee) = $20

If you set commission to $200 the commission will be $200, not $20. There's no "mix up" between percentage and "currency" value - it's either one or another. It's actually dead simple :slight_smile: If you initially set commission to 200 USD and then switch from USD to % without changing the value then for $10 level the case would be:

- before the switch affiliate would receive fixed commission of $200
    - after the switch affiliate should receive percentage commission of 200% = 2 x 10$ = 20USD.

I think the confusion here is amount settings. The first two drop-down boxes are values and it's not said whether they are in USD or in %. This is what you select with third drop-down. If the third drop-down is set to USD the commission is always fixed and equals "value USD" (e.g. $10, $50, $220 etc, depending on how you set that). If the third drop-down is set to % the commission is always a percentage: x% x level price so for example 10% x $10 or 25% x $10 or 200% x $10 etc.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.