How does Anti-Splog work? My own sites are often detected as splogs

Hi

I have Pro Sites and Anti-Splog (among others) on one of my sites, where I plan to open to registration for customers soon.

I made some tests, and even opened sites (subsites in that multisite actually) for a few (early) customers, and recently I found the sites I opened in the splog list! My own ones!

is it my IP? I’m in Switzerland, have IP from here particularly bad reputation? :wink:

or is it because I opened with an email address with .me cctld?

or, and this would be the good news, only because the sites had “test” in the name (the subdomain), like test, test1, testpat, etc?

Or something else?

I know I can adapt things in Anti-Splog patterns and settings etc… but I would mostly like to understand why it’s happening and if I can use Anti-Splog or not (if all my new customers are going to the moderation list, it won’t be good)

I precise I never took part in any spam sending or phishing /hacking or any other illegal activity (I case you wonder :wink: )

Thank you very much in advance for your help

Patricia

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @patricia,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

You can just unspam them if there has been a mistake.

Have you added any new pattern for Anti-Splog Pattern Matching or set Limit Blog Signups Per Day? also let me know Blog Signup and posting Splog Certainty that you have set.

Best Regards,

Vinod Dalvi

• Patricia BT
    • Connector

Hi @vinod Dalvi

Thank you very much for your answer, I hope you are well also!

I know I can unspam, but I would like to automate as much as possible, and avoid a customer to wait on me to answer and unspam.

I didn’t change anything, so all the settings are the default ones.

Actually how is it tested when in description it says “it will send all kinds of blog and signup info to our premium server where we will rate it based on our secret ever-tweaking logic.” ?

I know it’s secret :slight_smile: but is there anything with country code domains in emails? or the word “test” in the name? or something like this?

Best Regards

Patricia

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @patricia,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually how is it tested when in description it says “it will send all kinds of blog and signup info to our premium server where we will rate it based on our secret ever-tweaking logic.” ?

I know it’s secret :slight_smile: but is there anything with country code domains in emails? or the word “test” in the name? or something like this?

I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advise for us.

I have notified the developer about it and he will reply on this thread.

Cheers.

• Patricia BT
    • Connector

thanks @vinod Dalvi

Actually it’s strange because one real splog went through, so I guess it’s something “random” :slight_smile:

Even if there is no real answer, I would be curious to understand, but it this is not possible, feel free to close this topic.

Thand you again Vinod

Cheers

Patricia

• Aaron
    • CTO

What did it score those signups?

What’s your autospam limit on signups?

It is very hard to accurately detect splogs at the point of signup. We recommend settings that very high or off. The API really shines at detecting when they actually post, it is very highly accurate at that.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.