How does bounce work on e-Newsletter

I've created a special email account for bounced emails. I've entered and tested the bounced email settings. I guess I'm confused as to how this should work. The returned emails are being sent to my 'from' email, not to the bounced address. Am I missing something?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings cdgweb,

The bounce feature of the e-Newsletter plugin should have its box set as the web sites catchall catching all emails that are not deliverable.

If I send an email to your domain that is not a real email address on your domain, your hosting should be automatically sending it to the bounced box.

For example the host is yourdomain.com and you have two email boxes configured cdgweb@yourdomain.com and bounced@your domain.com and I send an email to joe@yourdomain.com it should show up in the bounced box. In this example above if I send an email from anything that is not cdgweb@yourdomain.com it should end up in the bounced box.

The what happens is one of two things. If I was in your email list and it comes back as undeliverable for whatever reason, it goes into the bounced box. The script checks the bounced box and sees my email address and that it is indeed bouncing - it removes me from the list keeping the list clean.

Historically automatic list removal is on the third bounce.

If you have great trouble setting up your bounced email as a catchall please contact your host to see if they will indeed help you with this.

If not let us know and we will certainly do our best to help you get the catchall box working.

Please advise.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• cdgweb
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I understand how a catchall email box works. I use a catchall box to manage client marketing accounts. (clientname@mydomain.com)

What you're saying doesn't make sense to me at all with relation to the enewsletter plugin, else I'm missing a step in the configuration.

The emails are being sent out from [general settings} from email: office@mydomain.com

Outgoing email settings: smtp (all info pertains to same email address/server)

If they are not deliverable, they are returned to office@mydomain.com, even though I have set up and tested bouce@mydomain.com

The emails that are undeliverable aren't returned to anything except the sending email. They are not being returned to a catchall box, and they aren't returned to the bounce@ email address that I set up either.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings cdgweb,

After doing some serious testing with the e-Newsletter plugin I found myself in a "stuck my foot in my mouth" situation after examining the headers of a test newsletter. I apologize for this.

I had anticipated finding the bounced email box as the return email in the test, but indeed found the sent email instead as you had indicated.

Therefore it is obvious that this will not work unless the bounce email address is inserted as the from email address under general settings.

This kind of does not make sense unless you perhaps want to use a third party outbound mail server, and would probably only look good if the return address was a "donotreplyhere@mydomain.com" address.

I cannot ask the previous lead developer what they were thinking with this plugin because he is no longer with WPMU Dev, and the new lead developer has yet to put out his initial version.

But we certainly can ask him his opinion and input into this very subject.

Thank you for your patience and I will see if I can get him and his invaluable insight into this plugin and it's future in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• cdgweb

I'm glad to see the response. Thanks for clarifying it.

I would suggest that the next developer to work on it look at just adding the bounce address as the replyto field in the email header. That way the bounce works the way it's supposed to. (I believe MailPress does it that way).

I'll keep my eye out for updates.

In the meantime for the site(s) I've got it installed on, I'll just hardcode the replyto email into the headers so that it works for those sites.

• cdgweb

For one of the sites I don't want it in the from field. This is an old, established list that expects to get email from the address we told them to bookmark a few years ago.

The other site I may, perhaps, do that.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings cdgweb,

For one of the sites I don't want it in the from field. This is an old, established list that expects to get email from the address we told them to bookmark a few years ago.

I can relate and understand that. We are still waiting for lead developer input concerning this issue and hopefully he will give us some insight into his plan of dealing with this issue.

Cheers, Joe

• Cole
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hey cdgweb,

Sorry for the delay on getting back to you on this.

So I'm right in the middle of making major improvements to the e-newsletter plugin.

I've added this request to hopefully make the next update. I'm happy that you were able to hard-code a fix temporarily, but I would still like to provide a permanent solution for this in the near future.

Cole

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Greeitngs @cdgweb

I landed on this topic while doing research for another post and am quite curious if you managed to do a mailing without any problems.

Look forward to hear how you got on and whether the plugin update solved the problem for you.

Have a great day!

Gina

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hi!

Just checking in :slight_smile:

I'm guessing that because we haven't heard back from you that you've got your issue worked out or that we have reached the end of our convo here. If you are still having problems or need any other answers on this particular topic please feel free to come back to this thread at anytime. Just be sure to mark it Not Resolved so we don't miss it!

This ticket is only being Resolved due to lack of activity. It is by no means an action to avoid, brush off or minimize your issue. We are ready and here if you want to re-open at any time and I apologize in advance for any lack of communication if this ticket is being closed in error.

Thanks for being part of the WPMU DEV Community!

Best,
    Kimberly

• cdgweb

Just did a mailing yesterday. No bounces, at least not so far. I manually added a bogus email, hasn't bounced yet. (my domain, so I'm not sure what's taking so long)

I really love the simplicity of the eNewsletter plugin. It really makes it easy for my clients to send emails.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.