How Does BuddyPress Work With Pro Sites + Multisite

I am just wondering how exactly BuddyPress integrates with Multisite and Pro-Sites. I have been playing around with it the last week or so and have a couple questions.

1. Are everyones BuddyPress profiles located on the main domain ie. Domain.com/members/profile. Is there anyway for their buddypress profile to be on their domain ie. site1.domain.com/members/profile?

2. Is there 1 main activity feed on the main site (domain.com) or can each sub site have an activity page as well?

I want people to be able to buy sites but have everything on their own site, so people don't have to go to the main site to see the authors BuddyPress profile. However, I still want the BuddyPress installation to be network wide so you can see one main global activity feed.

Hopefully that makes some sense!

Tyler

• aristath

Hello there @TyePo, I hope you're well today!

1. Are everyones BuddyPress profiles located on the main domain ie. Domain.com/members/profile. Is there anyway for their buddypress profile to be on their domain ie. site1.domain.com/members/profile?

Yes, when network-enabled, BuddyPress creates the user profiles on the main site. User profiles can't be each on a different site.

2. Is there 1 main activity feed on the main site (domain.com) or can each sub site have an activity page as well?

When BP is network-activated, everything is on the main site.

I want people to be able to buy sites but have everything on their own site, so people don't have to go to the main site to see the authors BuddyPress profile. However, I still want the BuddyPress installation to be network wide so you can see one main global activity feed.

If you activate BuddyPress on a per-site basis then activity feeds etc will be on individual sites.
    But in that case, you won't be able to have one main global activity feed... it's one or the other.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Tyler Postle

@aristath Thanks for the clarification Ari! That helps. Now that I know that, I have a couple follow up questions.

1. If I activate it on a site by site basis does that mean that general users(non-prosite users) can sign up on a site by site basis? Or does all the user registration still have to go through the main site (domain.com)?

The issue that I am thinking of now is that I want each sub-site to be able to grow their reader/user base. Meaning users can login on the site they are visiting instead of having to login through domain.com and get re-directed to the dashboard THEN go to their desired site.

I just feel that having everyones profile on the main site will confuse a lot of the readers/users that are visiting the blogs. The main site will be where I sell people on the pro-site so I don't really want my pro-site users to have their members directed there. Would using a sub site for the community site be a better idea you think? Like community.domain.com - if that's possible (network activated).

Hopefully I wasn't rambling too much there. Thanks again for your time!

• aristath

1. If I activate it on a site by site basis does that mean that general users(non-prosite users) can sign up on a site by site basis? Or does all the user registration still have to go through the main site (domain.com)?

It still has to go through the main site.

The issue that I am thinking of now is that I want each sub-site to be able to grow their reader/user base. Meaning users can login on the site they are visiting instead of having to login through domain.com and get re-directed to the dashboard THEN go to their desired site.

There a re a lot of login widget plugins available out there... I'm sure you'll find one that suits your needs! Most of them can be placed on a widget in a site's sidebar and don't redirect to the main site.

Cheers,
    Ari.