How does domain mapping really work?

If my client or myself have a domain that we purchase how do we use the domain mapping to connect to our domain that we purchase?

would we just go to the domain account go to manage > than change the nameservers to match the nameservers of the multisite? or

do we need to just change the a record of the domain account to the multisite ip address?

Im looking at videos and reading your domain-mapping plugin description and it doesnt say anything about this. At the very end of the instructions its says to go to the cpanel ( im guessing the multisite cpanel) and add a parked domain or edit the dns zone record . If i do this ,would it mean that i can just create any domains I want without purchasing them??

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @lyle,

Welcome to the WPMU Dev community and thank you for your questions.

You will find information about using our Domain mapping plugin on the following pages.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#usage

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/offer-your-multisite-users-unique-domains-with-domain-mapping/

If i do this ,would it mean that i can just create any domains I want without purchasing them??

No you have to purchase them and adjust its DNS settings as described on the above pages.

Using our following Multi-Domains plugin you can run an unlimited number of different domains from one WordPress Multisite installation.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multi-domains/

Please advise if you have more questions.

Best Regards,

Vinod Dalvi

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @lyle

I hope you are well today.

Let me simplify the procedure.

For example, your main site is network.com

You have two subsites:

1. one.network.com

2. two.network.com

These two subsites you want to map with following domains repectively:

1. one.com

2. two.com

So, if anyone enter one.com in the browser, it should show the site of one.network.com. Same for two.com

So, there are two scenarios now. Either you own all the domains, or you don’t. First I think you own all the domains.

network.com site is hosted in a hosting whose nameservers are:

ns1.networkhost.com

ns2.networkhost.com

So, you have entered these nameservers for network.com domain panel. You have to set same nameservers for one.com and two.com domains too.

Then you will add one.com and two.com domains as add on domain in the same hosting of network.com, and make sure you point them to the network.com wordpress root folder. So that if any one enter one.com or two.com it shows network.com site.

After that, you will add the domains in corresponding subsites using domain panel plugin, and the mapped domain will start working.

Now, if you don’t own the domains, then you will need a dedicated IP. I know you won’t have access to the domain panel of your customers so that you can’t set name servers in there. So, you will pass them you IP and they need to set a DNS record for their domain and point to that IP. Only then domain panel will work.

Multi domain is used for different purpose. You don’t need Multi Domain to use Domain Mapping plugin, but you can use both.

If your network site is abc.com then you can map the network site with xyz.com too with Multi Domains plugin. That means both domain will work/show the same site.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers

Ash

• Lyle
    • Flash Drive

@ashok

Thank you very much I think I am getting a better understanding of this.

So lets say i created two Nameservers and they both point to my dedicate IP address.. could I just tell people to have the nameserver point to the one I set up rather than changing the A record?

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @lyle

I am not a server expert, so can’t say you exactly how nameservers work with dedicated IP :slight_frown:

If the nameservers work for you, I mean if you use the same nameserver working for the network domain, then it’s a yes. You can give them the nameserver to use. But in that case, you will have to host that domain manually in your hosting panel as a parked domain :slight_smile:

Cheers

Ash

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Exactly you got it right :slight_smile:

It needs to be a dedicated IP as well (I know you have one already) and the IP must points to the main site. That means, if you enter the IP in the browser, the main site should be loaded.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers

Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.