How does file protection work? It Doesn't For Me.

how to protect files, videos etc? Tried basic, complete and hybrid and files are either 404 or available - whether or not logged into the protected content pages.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the WPMU Dev community and thank you for your question.

You can protect files by activating Protected Content add-ons "Media Protection" and "Media Protection - additional protection methods" from the following path.

Admin Area -> Protected Content -> Add-ons

Then configure it from the following path.

Admin Area -> Protected Content -> Settings -> Media / Downloads

To resolve 404 issue please try resaving your permalinks.

Could you please share me the page links where files are displaying 404 error so that i can troubleshoot it?

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Steve

Vinod - It would really help me if you could make a quick note about the different protection levels and what they are supposed to do.... oh wait... let me test

Turn protection on: (any type)
    Set the folder to "downloads"

Home page (not protected by the plugin)

Original image url:
    /wp-content/uploads/2013/09/bigstock-Enjoyment-free-happy-woman-e-430004261-300x200.jpg

becomes

/wp-content/dowdloads/2013/09/bigstock-Enjoyment-free-happy-woman-e-430004261-300x200.jpg

Note: how uploads/ is changed to downloads/ in the URL?

Tried saving permalinks, clear supercache - finally got an image to be "masked" - too bad it is the image on the home page that is NOT supposed to be protected!

/wp-content/downloads/?ms_file=ms_3728-300x200.jpg

OK - sigh

Changed the Masked download URL: to "banana"

cleared cache, saved permalinks, cleared browser cache(s)

Tested the home page - image shows ok
    Tested a membership page - images show ok
    Copied an image URL from membership page and pasted to another browser, not logged in any way - image blocked

Wow it works - if you call the directory banana?

What it seems to be is the protected directory is /wp-content/downloads -- NOT MATTER WHAT YOU PUT in the Masked download URL:

I don't want to spend time moving all media to that directory only to find you guys fix this in a week...

So - is this a bug? Can you check?
    Is it going to be fixed soon?
    If so, is the and ETA?

Ta,

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply.

Vinod - It would really help me if you could make a quick note about the different protection levels and what they are supposed to do....

You will find information about Media / Downloads protection methods in the following video tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9lcyml_g3k&list=PLV1BcivFAIdtF4p7CYVfMbVAJ4JQ1Rpe9&index=7

Turn protection on: (any type)
    Set the folder to "downloads"

Note: how uploads/ is changed to downloads/ in the URL?

This is because you have set the Masked download URL to downloads in the Media / Download Settings. This is happening to secure the file location.

Wow it works - if you call the directory banana?

What it seems to be is the protected directory is /wp-content/downloads -- NOT MATTER WHAT YOU PUT in the Masked download URL:

Do you mean the plugin is not protecting the media files if you set "Masked download URL:" other than downloads?

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.