How does is acutally work?

Hi,
I have installed and configured the plugin to the point where I have a Sandbox App ID.

My problem now is, that I can not test the behavior of the hole thing as it seems not to work in Sandbox mode.

My main questions are:
> for simple payment option
... do I need a new account for each website as paypal allows only 1 "Notification URL"
> for advanced payment option
... do I need IPN for this
... how does it work at all. The sandbox mode does not work, so no testing possible.
... Will paypal keep multiple fundraiser separate?
... What happens when I deduct money from the paypal account while 1 or more fundraiser are active? Does it influence any of the fundraiser?
... Which adaptive payment service do I need when I want to receive the money only when the (one-time) goal is met? Is it "Preapprovals"? Then which one?
/ Subscription Payments
/ One-time Payments
/ On-demand Payments

Thanks a lot. Cheers, Alex :slight_smile:

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hello Alex!

I'm sorry you are having trouble with testing, I've not had any issues on my test install, but I will see if I can answer your questions and help out a bit :slight_smile:

Are you seeing any errors testing in Sandbox mode?

> for simple payment option
    ... do I need a new account for each website as paypal allows only 1 "Notification URL"

The notification URL is just to return to the site and tell it that there was a payment made. It is not user specific, but rather site specific.

"Notification URL"
    > for advanced payment option
    ... do I need IPN for this
    ... how does it work at all. The sandbox mode does not work, so no testing possible.

The Advanced Payment option is for those who want to use Crowdfunding. You may find this helpful in this instance: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/xcommerce-application-process-marketpress-fundraiser

the Fundraiser document also has some great information on these two options.
    you can find it here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/fundraising/#usage

... Will paypal keep multiple fundraiser separate?
    ... What happens when I deduct money from the paypal account while 1 or more fundraiser are active? Does it influence any of the fundraiser?

There should be designation between fundraisers, however I will have to ask the Developer to Comment on that.
    As far as deducting money, you should have no problem as the plugin collects the information from the IPN and it only returns the payments, not the balance.

... Which adaptive payment service do I need when I want to receive the money only when the (one-time) goal is met? Is it "Preapprovals"? Then which one?
    / Subscription Payments
    / One-time Payments
    / On-demand Payments

You should find what you need in the link to the tutorial post above will help explain this. If not, please let me know.

Best,

Kimberly

• thisisafakename
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Kimberly,
    thanks a lot for you answers.

1. I have studied the docs before and read the infos. The IPN is listed under "simple payment options", so I am still not sure if I need if for the advanced (crowdfunding) option?

2. I also understand that it is website specific. So you confirm, that I need a new paypal account for each website which uses paypal payments / the plugin?

3. You answer 2. with YES, the 1. question is even more important: DO I NEED IPN switched on to run fundraisers that only collect the money when the goal is meet or overachieved?

4. The sandbox does not work for me.
    > advanced payment option set to "sandbox"
    > x.com sandbox API added to the settings

see the testing here: http://sup.pe/du-kannst/etwas-bewegen/testschule/

Thanks for your assistance,
    Alex

• thisisafakename

When I try to test it, I get the following info:

There was a problem connecting with the paypal gateway. (CODE)520003 Authentication failed. API credentials are incorrect.

I have also removed all setting for the "simple payment option" as I want to use the "advanced" only, so no IPN.

• thisisafakename

Ok, I even have created new API credentials and added them again. Still same error on the website:

There was a problem connecting with the paypal gateway. (CODE)520003 Authentication failed. API credentials are incorrect.

I do have a paypal merchant account in Hong Kong. Should that cause any trouble?

• thisisafakename

Ok, figured out that I have to create a completely separate Sandbox account.
    Done that, created sandbox credentials.

Sandbox testing now works and as I can see, its using pre-approved payments.
    Can also see I that I do not need IPN.

Please confirm, then this topic is solved.

• Cole
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hey Alex,

Can you clarify your statement about the IPN? Use of the IPN from paypal is used extensively between advanced and standard payments. Only difference is Standard requires manual settings and advanced doesn't. Is that what you were referring to?

• thisisafakename

I have now removed all setting for the standard option and switched off IPN in my paypal account. It still seems to work for the advanced option though (but it runs as sandbox at the moment).

Because of the URL needed for IPN on the paypal site you can have only one URL per PayPal account. This is ridiculous but it seems that is how PayPal deals with it.

For now the advanced option is ok as it does what I am looking for right now. When I need the simple option and a 'pay-per-view' feature on another site I will have to create an additional PayPal account as it seems.

Cheers, Alex

• Cole
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I see, yea specific IPN urls are not required for advanced payments. The problem with multiple urls and one paypal address is a definite limitation. I plan to include an express checkout process in the future to by-pass this problem.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.