How does the force and hide the signup option work?

Hello,

can someone please explain to me how does the

force and hide the signup option by linking to the signup page like this: wp-signup.php?Pro+Site=1

really work?

Placement of redirection:
We can get ProSites to redirect if we put the redirection as a link on any page or post on the site. OK.
But what happens with the widgets? Those links are automatically generated by Wordpress itself. For example on the Meta widget, when someone clicks on "register" is taken to signup.php. The same happens when any auto generated link for a signup is pressed. Is this the expected behavior? If not, how can we change it?
I would expect that: when you say "force and hide the signup option", even auto generated links would be redirected.

Behavior of redirection:
Also, when you say "force and hide", what exactly does it force and hide? I mean whether one clicks the redirect link (wp-signup.php?Pro+Site=1) or the normal auto-generated register link on the widgets area, one ends up viewing the same first page of the wp-signup.php no matter what the link says.The screen remains the same in both cases. Now, after clicking "Gimme a Site" in both cases one is taken to the second page of wp-signup.php. I see no different behavior what so ever. What is it that we force? We get redirected to the same pages and on top of that there is nothing hidden.
I would expect that: when someone is taken to the second page of wp-signup.php the options "I'm interested" and "Not Now" to be hidden, replaced by the ProSites auto generated price tables, have no other option but to register with one of the ProSites packages, and immediately taken to the PayPal account (or whatever gateway option is given).

Am I missing something? Please enlighten.

Thank you

• Mark de Scande
    • Syntax Hero

Ok I have this set up on a test install but let me try and help you the best i can

1) force and hide the signup option by linking to the signup page like this: wp-signup.php?Pro+Site=1

If users goes here http://bloglines.co.za/test/wp-signup.php he will get a msg

Pro Site
    I'm Interested Not Now

If he clicks "I'm Interested " on the next page he will see the options available to him he will see ProSite i have added some screen shots

Ok :slight_smile:
    signup and register is a thing on its own
    Prosites is a thing on its own

I know it took me a day to get it working but it is working now just to move pro sites over to BlogLines.co.za

Buddy i hope i have helped you in some way

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

@Mark, apologies, I didn't mean to disable the actual signup in admin, just remove access to the regular signup page. The rewriterule would always redirect someone to the ProSites page - regardless of how they try to type in or link they click on, if that makes sense.

Thanks!

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

Thank you both for the answers

@ Mark. I know what you say and this is the normal expected behavior of the sign-up page out of the box. But this is NOT what I'm talking about. Please read carefully my post. I think I explain it in detail. There is nothing getting redirected. :slight_frown:

@ james. Sorry James. I know what you say as well. Still it doesn't answer my question on what the plugin option really does and what the actual (functional) use of it is. What you suggest is a general redirection htaccess rule that can be applied for any kind of redirection and has nothing to do with the plugin and its redirection option at all. :slight_frown:

Sorry you guys. I think my original questions are still unanswered.
    Could we have another approach please?

• Mark de Scande
    • Syntax Hero

@marikamitsos I would expect that: when you say "force and hide the signup option", even auto generated links would be redirected. This statement is misleading as it has nothing to do with the Standard WordPress Signup The statement is only for ProSites

Let me know if i am making sense :slight_smile:

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

@ Mark, thank you for your reply.

This statement is misleading as it has nothing to do with the Standard WordPress Signup The statement is only for ProSites

It cannot be misleading since it is not a statement but merely my own opinion.
    Please read my initial post.

if anyone else wants to chip in I would also be thankful.

• Aaron
    • CTO

If a visitor goes to wp-signup.php?Pro+Site=1 rather than just wp-signup.php then they will not see the "I'm interested"/"Not Now" form on the second step of signup. It will just be checked to i'm interested via a hidden form field. I hope that answers your question?

As far as showing the signup form, if they have checked that box (or it was hidden), upon first login to their dashboard they will be directed to the signup page. This will continue until they click the "Not right now" link on the signup page.

This is all these options are designed to do. If you want to force people to always signup to enable their blog front or back then you can enable the Pay To Blog module which forces this every time.

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

Thank you Aaron for clearing things up to me.
    Looking at your answer, you do not mention anything about hijacking the wp-signup.php from the meta widget. Can we achieve this without meddling with .htaccess?
    I wonder as well if there was a way to have a set-up like the one I mention on this thread. I think it would be a great anti-splog system as well for web-masters.
    Will test it though with Pay To Blog, see how it goes and let you know.

Since my initial question has been answered should I open new posts for the rest?

Thanks again.

• Aaron
    • CTO

Can we achieve this without meddling with .htaccess?

Not without plugin edits.

I wonder as well if there was a way to have a set-up like the one I mention on this thread.

If you are referring to showing signup as a step of the signup process no, because of how WP works (the email validation step). Note that we do have a plugin to turn off email validation.
    If you mean setting up a sub before the trial part, then technically it's possible but would need alot of coding.

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

Not without plugin edits.

Which plugin? Pro Sites? If it is something "simple" can you please look into it and provide the code? If not should I add it on a request post?

If you mean setting up a sub before the trial part,

Yes. Something along the tracks of Marketpress:
    new visitor (potential buyer), likes the product, clicks on add to the basket, clicks on checkout (buyer), is taken to paypall to fill the form, comes back to continue.
    Could you please give it a thought? Maybe the similarity of the procedure could be used for both plugins.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.