How does the Membership plugin bill people?

Hi

I am thinking that it's pretty obvious that the Membership plugin would bill people on a regular basis for their subscriptions, however obvious or not, I can find nothing whatsoever that tells me how the recurring billing takes place.

So I'll ask the question.. does it somehow send out invoice emails each period to the customers?

If not, what happens to keep people paying their subscriptions?

This is not addressed anywhere as best I can see, but it a vital part of a membership system. Perhaps I'm just blind and have missed it?

Thanks
JWB

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello again @jwb888, I hope you're well today!

So I'll ask the question.. does it somehow send out invoice emails each period to the customers?
    If not, what happens to keep people paying their subscriptions?

No, the plugin does not send invoice emails to customers.
    If you've set the payments to be serial, then the payment gateway takes care of these things.
    The Membership plugin simply creates a new subscription for the user on their paypal account for example, and that payment is recurring according to your preferences.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Does the plugin at least know if they subsequently cancel their paypal subscription? How does it know when to restrict access for them again if they stop paying?

Yes, it does. When they cancel their payment, the plugin gets notified by PayPal that their subscription has been canceled.
    They continue to have access until the end of their current subscription, and when they fail to renew the payment, the membership is canceled. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Ari.

• jwb888
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Ari

Ah ok thanks.

1. Does it email them to try to get them to renew when the sub comes up again?
    2. What happens to their membership level once the subscription is cancelled or defaults?

Thanks again
    JWB

• aristath
    • Recruit

1. Does it email them to try to get them to renew when the sub comes up again?

Yes, you can set that up. In fact the system is really flexible... From your dashboard go to Membership => Communications. You can set-up your messages to be send before the subscription expires, and write your own message in there.

2. What happens to their membership level once the subscription is cancelled or defaults?

When their subscription expires, their access levels are removed and so is their subscription.
    In essence they are treated the same as a user that has an account on your site but not a subscription. You can set-up an access level for those users in the "Stranger Settings" section in Membership => Options.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• aristath
    • Recruit

I can't see a page Membership | Communications at all sorry.

could you please grant me access to your backend so that I may see why you can't see that menu?
    To do so, from your dashboard go to WPMUDEV => Support => Support Access and click on the "Grant access" button.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• jwb888

Hi Ari

Ah, I upgraded to the latest version and see that it has been added. Triggers are a bit limited though, as one of the big uses of this sort of communication is to encourage them to come back after a subscription has failed or has been cancelled.

Unfortunately that isn't one of the triggers as yet. Can those please be added?

If that becomes a trigger you can tempt a person back to subscription again with a coupon or similar too.

Thanks
    Cheers
    Warwick

• jwb888

Hi Ari

Thanks for that. Yes the trigger being the stopping or failing of the subscription. If it's possible to trap the failing, you can email them saying that it failed and would they like to pay via different means, etc.

How would I become aware of whether they had decided to implement this feature or not, and when Ari?

Thanks
    Cheers
    Warwick

• aristath
    • Recruit

How would I become aware of whether they had decided to implement this feature or not, and when Ari?

The updates are always described in the plugin's changelog.
    I'm afraid there's no way to be notified when a particular feature request is being developed. Tasks get prioritized according to their importance and first we fix bugs, then we start implementing new features.
    The only way to be notified is keeping on when this is released is keeping an eye on the plugin changelog.

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.