How does the Social Marketing Plugin work/perform?

I'm just curious if the Social Marketing plugin actually checks Facebook to ensure you posted, or somehow monitors the post window to make sure it worked? That's how http://www.paywithatweet.com/ works for both Fb and Twitter. I'm curious if this would make a great alternative to that?

And does it do the same on Google+? My understanding was the API wasn't available for Google+ so that wouldn't be possible?

My first post here, I'm a brand-new member. So let me know if I break any rules or anything. Thanks! Excited to be part of the community.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey fiddlerstudios, welcome to the WPMU Dev community!!!

No rule broken, in fact I'm not sure we really have any rules. More of an etiquette towards everyone I suppose. :slight_smile:

I've never used the plugin you refer to but it does look cool and very similar.

Anyway, with our plugin once the post/share has been made then the download or code becomes available for download. I'm not sure it tracks to see if it was deleted or not. When you refresh the page you need to share/like again to see the code I believe.

Its a new plugin, I've still not had a good play with it yet. Only installed it earlier. :slight_smile:

If you have any specific issue then just let us know and we will surely look into them :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Tevya

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

I didn't mean it should check back later to see if the person deleted it, just if it was able (via an Fb app that checks their status updates, is how the other one does it) to ensure that it was actually posted?

So I can't use this to redirect somebody to a page that has a special signup form or something along those lines? It's only for a code (some text) or a download?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again! :slight_smile:

So I can't use this to redirect somebody to a page that has a special signup form or something along those lines? It's only for a code (some text) or a download?

I don't see why that code could not in fact be a direct link of some kind. Did you try this?

checks their status updates, is how the other one does it) to ensure that it was actually posted?

I believe it confirms the post was made and then makes the content available. Were you having any specific issues here, or just had general questions? :slight_smile:

Let me know if I can assist further, take care.

• Tevya

Okay, now I've tried this plugin out. And was very disappointed. The similar solution http://www.paywithatweet.com/ get's people to share a status update to their Facebook or Twitter stream. It even takes them through the process of sharing to ensure that it is actually shared as a status update. That's great visibility, people commenting about how they like your site/product/service and giving others the opportunity to do the same, in exchange for whatever it is you're giving away.

From what I can tell in my testing, all the Social Marketing plugin does, for Facebook at least, is "like" whatever page you put in. So you can get lots of likes on your website, but they're not even followers, who's attention you can get when you update your business' page on Facebook, nor do they share a link or message to their stream. Either one could be helpful, but as it is it might show up where their friends can see it and there's no message from the user, no link to encourage them to share as well, none of that stuff that makes it effective.

Am I doing something wrong, or does the Facebook portion (and I'm guessing the Google+ works the same, you just +1 it, but nobody sees that) need some work to really be useful? Thanks.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Tevya, thanks for getting back to me.

Okay, now I've tried this plugin out. And was very disappointed.

Really sorry it was not to your liking.

Yeah I think a few more feature would make this a much better plugin. A member on here was requesting that you could protect posts and pages in the same manner. So like a pay per view or membership but paid for with a like.

You are right, at the moment it is only like.

So lets document how you would like to see it, through bullet points:

+ An option to like a FB page and then display content
    + Share a custom message on the person wall? Custom image or take the featured image or something else?

So the share would be like in Ultimate Facebook where they click it and add their own message right? it takes the image/open graph?

The primary idea behind the plugin was mainly to allow people to pay with a like, or a tweet to get something like a download or a coupon.

If you have more to add or alter then please bullet point them. I'm sure then others may see something they like and add their own support for it.

Take care.

• Tevya

Here's one of my links I setup on paywithatweet.com: http://www.paywithatweet.com/pay/connect.php?id=00fcb871a12fe12ea210b9849e25e85c

Click it and select the Facebook option. I'd really like to see something similar to that. It helps the user share the status update and it must contain the link. Once that's done, the user is redirected to the page where you give them the download or promo code or whatever.

I'm short on time, but will try to bullet it out tomorrow.

• Timothy Bowers

Ya I see what you mean with the link button there. When you click on the post to FB its not just a like (which our plugin currently does) It lets them write something, uses an image, etc.

Thats pretty cool.

I'm short on time, but will try to bullet it out tomorrow.

Thats cool, just something firm so when Ve has finished doing some massive updates this week and next (on various cool things here) then he could take a peek and see. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Tevya

@Timothy it was you I discussed this with previously. I let my membership expire for a while, but was thinking I'd asking about this stuff prior to that. So my new thread is something of a duplicate: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/difference-between-pay-with-a-like-and-social-marketing-plugins

So "Pay With a Like" didn't exist when we were discussing this. Was it created to fill the needs I pointed out here? Does it require them to actually share to their stream in order to unlock the content? Or just a mere "Like"?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.