How does the uptime monitoring work?

I am curious how exactly the up time monitoring works. I have another service I use for uptime monitoring and recently had a site go down for 20 minutes. The uptime monitoring service notified me, however the WPMUDEV plugin said that the site was up and functioning fine. Seems weird that I would try multiple times to ensure it was working properly, and each time it would tell me the site was working fine - even though it was obviously down. How can I trust the plugin is doing it's job when it didn't work when a site was actually down for 20 minutes?

• Merlin

My clients use dotcom monitor as their other monitoring service. I'm trying to move them over to just using this so that's why I'm trying to find out how it works as far as the technical aspect goes. The down time occurred from 1/9/2017 12:02:31 AM until 1/9/2017 12:12:49 AM according to dotcom monitor (which I verified). I came here while my site was down and clicked "re-check" because it said that my site was currently up. The re-check then still said the site was up. The results for the uptime show that no downtime occurred when I verified it was down, but it does show other down time that occurred when I know the site was up. Any insight to how it works would be helpful. I'd like to be able to consolidate everything to WPMUDEV if I could. And if possible too, could you tell me if it's possible to set up email notifications when the site goes down?

Thanks a lot for the help.

- Wiz

• Sajid

Hello Wizard,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Please make sure that you have selected the correct period in Data Range dropdown. I am unable to replicate this issue on my own test site connected with Uptime Monitoring.

Right now, it shows that my site was down on 13th January and came back up same day after four hours (its a test site and I was doing some testing on it).

However, I have enabled it again and report back if I it does not monitor correctly.

Right now, the email notifications are not available. Sorry! Our developers are working on email notifications but I am unable to provide an ETA though.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support

• Sajid

Hello Merlin,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I am sorry for delay on this ticket. I came back to update the thread with status report of uptime monitoring. I have this enabled on my own site, as mentioned in my last reply. From few days, I were getting some issues from server and my site was going down and back. This status was successfully monitored by Uptime monitoring and logged in The Hub under this website (see screenshot).

That means, Uptime monitoring is working the way it should. However, it can take upto few minutes to collect the updated data and display in Uptime Monitoring tab in The Hub.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.