How does this handle new users on a multisite?

Hi

If a new user joins a subsite of a multisite network, do they join a master list or the subsites own subscriber list?

Thanks!

James.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello James,

I hope you're having a nice day and thank you for your question!

The "MailChimp Integration" plugin on Multisite setup can only be "network activated" and the list is common for entire network.

While you may allow admins of the sub-sites to use subscription widget and/or shortcode on their sites, all subscriptions will go to the central list that you specified on "Network Admin -> Settings -> MailChimp [page] -> Settings [tab]".

I hope that helps!

Best regards,
    Adam

• jamesathomson

Hi Adam

Thanks for coming back to me.

OK that's not ideal though..... I am thinking we may run user registration through a gravity form on the individual sites as we need them to be added to separate mailchimp lists.

Unless....

Would this mailchimp plugin allow users to be added to a group within a single list, depending on which subsite they join through?

Thanks!

J.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello James!

This plugin is quite simple and will not let you for more "customization", unless you decide to go for a custom development.

You need users to be automatically subscribed to the lists upon registration and the list should ideally be a separate one for each sub-site, do I understand that right?

There's a workaround that I'm thinking of that includes our "Membership 2 Pro" plugin as it also features "MailChimp integration" add-on built in (though it's either this or the MailChimp plugin, they cannot work both at the same time). The Membership 2 Pro could be network enabled but it will work "per site" meaning that each sub-site would have its own, separate settings.

You could then leave the site "completely open" (meaning that only the "Default" membership would be setup; it's a membership that includes all registered users; no protection rules would be set) and the MailChimp add-on could be then enabled on each sub-site for Membership 2 Pro. You could then use separate lists on each sub-site.

Please note though that this is an idea that I haven't had a chance to test yet so you would want to give it a "test drive" first to make sure that it works as expected. I think though that it could be worth giving a try.

Best regards,
    Adam