How does wordpress multisite themes work?

Hi there,
I would like to know how wordpress multisite theme's work when used with the ProSites and New Blog Templates plugin. Does it clone the theme files of the theme that user selects so that each user can have their own set of files or does it just only use one set of theme files for all users that are using that theme?

Thank you :slight_smile:

• Rupok

Hi Madeline,

The second one is right. It just only uses one set of theme files for all users that are using that theme. This is how themes in multisite works. One set of files for each theme, used by all subsites.

For example, in standard scenario, where Pro Sites and New Blog Template all plugins are disabled, when you install a theme (suppose theme is "exampletheme), it creates a directory for that theme files under "/wp-content/themes/" directory. When you create a subsite and use that theme in that subsite too, that theme folder or files are not copied to anywhere else. They stay at their default location and work for every subsite which are using that theme. Now if you want to modify a single theme site wise, then you will have to create child themes for each site. To get more idea about child themes, you can check this official documentation: https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

Please let us know if you still have any confusion. We will be glad to assist further.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Madeline

Hey Rupok,

Thank you for the helpful explanation!

So if I have two users that share the same theme they will both have to create a child theme in order to add their own personalizations to it without it messing up the theme?

I saw wordpress has a plugin https://wordpress.org/plugins/child-theme-configurator/ that generates a child theme. Will this work if each user activates this plugin within their dashboard so that they can add customizations to their theme?

Thank you :slight_smile:

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Madeline,

So if I have two users that share the same theme they will both have to create a child theme in order to add their own personalizations to it without it messing up the theme?

That would be correct when you have in mind changing theme code - if you think about theme settings (like blog title, or if theme has option to add logo) then no. Settings are kept in database, and each of the subsites has own table with settings.

Will this work if each user activates this plugin within their dashboard so that they can add customizations to their theme?

No. Please take a look on FAQ page https://wordpress.org/plugins/child-theme-configurator/faq/

Does it work with Multisite?
    Yes. Go to "Network Admin > Themes > Child Themes." Child themes must be "Network enabled" to preview and activate for Network sites.

Onlu Super Admin can use that plugin - not subsite admins.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.