How is Coursepro supposed to work with woocommerce?

Hi:

How is coursepro supposed to work with woocommerce. As far as I can tell, it adds products to the WC store but it leaves the description fields and such blank. If I unpublish a course it still remains published in the WC store. And if I add or change any descriptive text in the course overview or course description, it does not get added to the store. Is this the way this integration is supposed to work?

Thanks.

• Nigel
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Update: If I change the short or long description of the course in coursepress, both the short and long description in WC is set to blank - wiping out any changes I might have made there. So I can't update WC with course descriptions without risking the data later and I cannot update coursepress and expect the data to transfer to WC. About the only thing that seems to transfer properly is price.

• Nigel

Also, if I do go through the purchase process in WC for a course and then navigate to a page with the [courses_student_dashboard] shortcode, it says "You are not enrolled in any courses".

I feel like I am missing something critical in the integration between CoursePress Pro and WC because nothing is working the way I expect it to work and the documentation doesn't really tell you how things are supposed to work.

Thanks.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hey Nigel,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Woocommerce is just used to sell courses, you still need to access them via course page, so if you go to any of your courses and go to Signup or Enroll your course should be added to the cart and you would be redirected to payment page.

Can you tell me if this is working for you?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Nigel

Hi Predrag:

I am confused. Coursepro creates a product listing in woocommerce where the user can purchase and pay for a course. But then they have to go to a separate page to buy it again? That means they would end up paying twice for the same course.

Thanks very much.

PS: Please don't forget about the other questions in the thread. If you've like me to open up separate topics for those please let me know.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Nigel,

Sorry about that, I was doing some further testing with WC and CP after your last comment and noticed that there are some issues with latest version of WC and CP and we are currently looking into this.

Would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at your installation as well?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

We can check your other question after we test this first issue with WC.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Nigel,

You should be able to change course product details by editing the product details itself instead of changing course details.
    I'm reporting this and some other minor issues I had while testing to our developers so we should see fix in future versions.

As for the user not being able to access the course, can you please go to WooCommerce > Settings > Checkout and disable Enable guest checkout option.
    This will require users to register account on purchase and thus assign course to that person.

Let me know if you have any followup questions.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Nigel

Hi:

If I edit the course details in WC and make changes in CP, then CP wipes out and makes blank the course details I entered into WC.

The user was logged in before the purchase for the course was made. But yet, they weren't assigned to the course.

Thanks.

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Nigel

I can see that @Predrag Dubajic has already flagged this as a confirmed bug and it's already in our task list. So I believe, you will get a patch/fix very soon.

Please keep in mind, our developers work round the clock and they have to deal with lots of critical issues. So it may take a little while before they give a solution.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Nigel

So basically, I'm stuck without anyway to have courses purchased by my users? The last time I posted a priority 1 bug it never got fixed by your developers (for the domain mapping module). For this module, the store integration bug isn't just some minor bug, its something that is pretty major and basically makes the module all but useless for anything that involves commerce. What's the possibility of getting this thing escalated as a show-stopper, priority one bug that it really is?

Thanks.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Nigel,

I have updated the developer with some further info I was able to find so hopefully that will help getting this sorted out faster.

I'm stuck without anyway to have courses purchased by my users?

This part was not actually reported as bug because I was unable to replicate this behaviour on my site.
    Can you please tell me what is the status of your order for that account?
    When I tested this as soon as the status of the order is set to completed the user is able to access the course.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Nigel

Hi:

I mentioned this issue above - 3rd post in this thread above. Here is what I said there:

If I go through the purchase process in WC for a course and then navigate to a page with the [courses_student_dashboard] shortcode, it says "You are not enrolled in any courses".

Which status are you looking for? The WooCommerce order status? if so it is set to "processing" as is the default all other credit card orders in WC.

Thanks very much!

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Nigel,

Yes, I was referring to WooCommerce status, can you please check if the course is accessible after you switch the status from Processing to Completed?
    After that, can you go to product and check Downloadable option, now purchase the course with different account and check if you now have access right after payment?

Let me know of the results.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Nigel

Yes, the course is available after manually switching from "processing" to "completed". The product in WC is marked as "downloadable."

So does this mean the admin has to manually intervene on ever course purchase via a credit card in order to give the user access to the course?

• Paulo Henrique Alkmin da Costa
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello,
    I'd like to confirm that this problem happens for me as well. I have tested some variations on my server enviroment (even switching webservers from apache to nginx), multiple payment gateways, turning off plugins and in the end it always get stuck at processing.
    It's a problem on setting from processing to complete because if I remotely change to cancel or issue a refund, WooCommerce will properly update. The big matter is the automatic unlock of the courses for the users.
    If you need any information that might be helpful, let me know. I am standing by for a fix as soon as possible to fix this on my website. Right now we have to do everything manually...
    Thanks a lot.

• Nigel

Yeah, not sure why no one else has complained about this before this thread. Forcing the admin to manually flip the switch from 'processing' to completed in order to unlock the courses for users doesn't make a lot of sense. I can understand some users wanting to wait for the "completed" order status but most of us I believe will rather grant access at the "processing" stage since that is what most people do for WC credit card orders. Probably the best fix is a flag in CP that tells it in what order status(s) to grant access to the course.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Thanks @Paulo Henrique Alkmin da Costa, all the details are forwarded to developer so hopefully we will see fix for this soon.

@Nigel I'm not sure how this worked in previous WC version, it's possible that this started with the latest release.

I also checked with our second level support dev guys if there is quick workaround for this and I'll update you once I get more info.

On a different note - the student dashboard page/shortcode shows "suggestions" for courses when the student has no courses purchased. Is there a way to turn that off?

This CSS should do the trick:

.dashboard-random-courses-list p,
    .dashboard-random-courses {
        display: none;
    }

If the theme is not one you made, then you may wish to use a child theme or a plugin like this one for this additional CSS. That way you're protected when you come to upgrade.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Nigel,

The code above should get rid of that as well, at least it does on my installation, it's probably related to theme used.
    Support access has expired so I couldn't check your courses dashboard page, if you could grant it again I would like to have another look and check what tweak is needed to make it work on your installation.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Nigel

Hi:

Support access has been granted. The shortcode for the course dashboard has been added to the woocommerce "My account" page directly under the WC shortcode for its dashboard (this way, the user only has to check one screen to find everything related to their purchases including access to the courses).

Thanks.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for granting access, looks like the rendering is different on your site so .dashboard-random-courses-list p selector that I used didn't work since there was no p tag around the text.

I went in a bit different way now and this should do the trick for you:

.dashboard-random-courses-list {
        height: 63px;
        overflow: hidden;
    }

.dashboard-random-courses {
        display: none;
    }

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Paulo Henrique Alkmin da Costa
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I just figured out what is the problem.
    When Coursepress creates a product from a course, it creates the product as a Virtual Product, but doesn't mark it as "Downloadable". After some research I figured that by manually editing my course products and marking both Virtual and Downloadable, when the product reaches "processing" it will go straight for "completed" and deliver the course to the user, no mater what payment gateway was used.

So basically this is a bug on Coursepress when creating the Woocommerce products, but that can be easily handled for now with this simple trick. I hope on a next release from Cousepress this will be 100% dealt with.

Thanks a lot.

• Nigel

Hi - just wanted to check in to see if there's any progress in fixing the WC bugs with this plugin. I keep losing my descriptions and other elements as coursepro wipes out the changes I make in WC and set them all back to blank.

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.