How is Multi-Domains plugin different from WP multisite network?

I am currently running WP multisite.
The Multi-Domains plugin functionality is similar to WP multisite?
What's the benefit of Multi-Domains vs. WP multisite network?
thanks.

• Mindblaze
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi,

Welcome to the community!

The plugin "Easily allow users to create new sites (blogs) at multiple different domains"

Allowing wordpress multisite install on different domain is key feature here.

So if you have like:

abc.com and 123.com

they both can be using one wordpress install behind them and abc.com being one blog and 123.com being the other one :slight_smile:

• andre_nguyen7
    • New Recruit

Thanks for your reply.

So I guess the differences are:

- WP multisite without Multi-Domains plugin will only allow url like: newsite.abc.com

- WP multisite with Multi-Domains plugin allows url like:
    newsite.com (using the same WP installation in abc.com)

- Additionally, WP multisite with Multi-Domains plugin will validate site visitor sign-in and registration through out all sites within the network.

Are my thinking correct?

• nomadone

Does this plugin allow for subdomains to be created from new sites on different domains, so if you have a few domains and a new site is created on one of them then a new subdoman will be created on that specific domain?

I read the plugin page but still not 100% sure

• Mindblaze

@andre_nguyen7 I think your assumptions are correct.

@nomadone: I am not 100% sure about the subdomain being accessible on that particular blog or all those blogs. However i believe it should only be accessible on the particular domain.

So for example if a user registered a subdomain on blog xyz, it should not be accessible from abc

Technically, newblog.xyz.com and newblog.abc.com should be two separate blogs

Hope it helps.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @andre_nguyen7, I hope you're well today!
    I see that @Mindblaze has already answered your question here (thank you Mindblaze, sending some rep points your way).
    The multi-domain plugin allows your users to set-up subdomains of the domains you've defined.
    So you can have them create sites with urls like subdomain1.domain1.com, subdomain2.domain2.com etc.
    If you want to use a separate domain on one of your sub-sites, then you'll also have to install the domain-mapping plugin.

I hope that makes it a bit more clear!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• andre_nguyen7
    • New Recruit

@Mindblaze, I agree that newblog.xyz.com and newblog.abc.com should be two separate blogs (at least from a technical stand point).

I like to add 1 more difference to my above list of differences:

WP multisite without Multi-Domains plugin will only allow new site url based on the primary domain (I just went through the Super Admin sites menu).

For example: if your abc.com is the primary domain, and your xyz.com, 123.com are not.

Without the Multi-Domains plugin, your new sites could be:
    xyz.abc.com
    123.abc.com
    sub1.abc.com
    They all have to base on abc.com which is the primary domain, and abc.com is where WP installed.

From what I understand, with the Multi-Domains plugin, the primary domain attach is no longer an issue? Please confirm my assumption.

Is it possible to have:
    abc.com
    xyz.com
    123.com
    or
    sub1.abc.com
    sub1.xyz.com
    sub1.123.com

within a network of sites?

The reason I raised this question in the first place
    WP multisite vs. (WP multisite + Multi-Domains plugin) vs. (WP multisite + Domain Mapping plug in)
    is I can't find a clear stated differences anywhere.

From a marketing (and user benefit) stand point, WPMU DEV didn't make it clear (in the plugin description) the benefits of having Multi-Domains plugin installed (it's an observation, not criticism).

• aristath
    • Recruit

@andre_nguyen7

From what I understand, with the Multi-Domains plugin, the primary domain attach is no longer an issue? Please confirm my assumption.

Correct. You can use any of the additional domain as a base for your subdomains.

The reason I raised this question in the first place
    WP multisite vs. (WP multisite + Multi-Domains plugin) vs. (WP multisite + Domain Mapping plug in)
    is I can't find a clear stated differences anywhere.

Well, the most versatile approach is a combination of all of the above:
    WordPress Multisite + Multi-Domains + Domain Mapping.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey rcaves,

Have you had a look at the Multi-Domains usage guide yet? https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multi-domains/#usage

The "Domain Configuration" section should help ya out. In short, you would add a wildcard subdomain "A" record that points to the IP address of your multisite install.

If you've already pointed the second domain to your web host nameservers then you will be able to add in through the same cPanel otherwise you will need to edit the DNS wherever your domain is being hosted :slight_smile:

If you run into any issues or have any further questions after reading the usage guide, just create a new ticket here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question - one of our staff will be more than happy to help out.

Sometimes on these really old tickets you may get a slow reply as the staff on them are no longer working here, we are slowly closing all of the old threads to avoid this issue but it's taking a little while to get through the archives. I'll go ahead and close this one now and then if you need any further assistance we can just conitnue on your new ticket.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.