How long does post-new.php take to load for you?

Using the built in inspector in Chrome, post-new.php makes 156 requests, is 107KB and takes just under 7 seconds to load. It feels like it's taking much longer. Am I just impatient? Is this the size it could/should be and how long it takes to load for others? If that's pretty normal, I'll just be quiet about my site feeling slow :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers

Hey nbostic.

Loading of anything in WP can depend on so much...

+ Server Spec
    + Server Bandwidth
    + User Uplink
    + Amount of plugins
    + Amount of plugins uninstalled but left tons of rubbish still in the DB
    + Same as above but for themes
    + Plugins and themes which are not efficient.
    + The size of files to include.

And the list goes on. Have you tested on other connections and dones a clean out of plugins and data?

Take care.

• nbostic

I'm aware of all the variables and have done tests on multiple computers/connections/browsers, that's why I was asking how my load is compared to other users loads. I'm trying to figure out if I'm impatient or if I have a technology issue :slight_smile: My host keeps saying it's WordPress, the few WordPress optimization people I've hired all say it's hosting, so I'm getting a little tired of it and just wanted to know if it may be neither WordPress or hosting but me :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm impatient or if I have a technology issue :slight_smile:

Well I don't know your server, your plugins, or anything about your set up. So I wouldn't know to be honest.

You may or may not go by what Yahoo tell you, but attached is their rating of your site.

My host keeps saying it's WordPress, the few WordPress optimization people I've hired all say it's hosting, so I'm getting a little tired of it and just wanted to know if it may be neither WordPress or hosting but me

6 of one and half a dozen of the other. I don't know who your optimisation people are but could they bias? Are they qualified in what they claim (not necessarily a formal qualification but experience)? Can they be trusted? You are doubting them...

And as for your host, I don't know them either. But hosts are always reluctant to accept blame for slow speeds unless they absolutely have to. Some hosts will continue to deny issues even when you present proof. Not all are like this, but it happens sadly..... :slight_frown:

If it is shared hosting, then I suspect it woud be slower than a VPS or Dedicated server with a good strong uplink.

Take care.

• nbostic

Well I don't know your server, your plugins, or anything about your set up. So I wouldn't know to be honest.

That's why I'm just inquiring as to how long other peoples admin areas load with post-new.php as an example since that's a pretty common page for people to use :slight_smile: I know all of those things can determine how fast or slow a site will load, I just am curious if mine is loading fast or slow compared to what others are using. Yahoo (and other page load tests) don't really work on the admin area, that's why I'm using the Chrome inspector.

I don't know who your optimisation people are but could they bias? Are they qualified in what they claim (not necessarily a formal qualification but experience)? Can they be trusted? You are doubting them...

They're all people I found through here since I use so many WPMUDEV plugins site wide. I'm definitely doubting them, but I also doubt my host, so again, that's why I'm just trying to see how my admin area loads compared to others. If I'm in a normal range, I will stop worrying about it. If I'm significantly slower than what others are experiencing...I'm not sure what I'll do since hosting and "consultants" are failing me on the support side. The host is a VPS with Hostgator.

At this point, I know it's not a WPMUDEV issue, but I thought I'd ask for comparisons from people who are more likely to be running similar plugins as I am.

• Timothy Bowers

The comparisons would be flawed though, this is my point. Because both installs are not identical.

I run on dedicated servers, all with decent specs and processing power. So I'm not sharing the resources you will on shared hosting. I have installs with no plugins and installs with many plugins. I have load times around a second to a fair few seconds depending on what its got to process. I'm also on a fairly quick dedicated fibre optic connection from my Mactop to the internet (my connection to the net not my servers as they are in a DC).

My servers are located in the same country as me, in face they are just a couple of hours drive away, so my DNS is quicker for me thank it would be if my servers were in India, America, etc.

I could throw figures of load times at you for multiple websites on multiple servers but non of this would mean anything because your not benchmarking. Your not comparing equal connection speeds to the net, equal machine speeds or equal installs. You might process 5 plugins which all have many files. I might process 5 plugins with only 10 lines of code.

The page you refer to is also influenced by plugins and even themes.

I'm not being evasive here with stating load times. I'm just pointing out that its not a far comparison. You might get 6 seconds to your server, I might get 2 on my connection.

Take care.

• nbostic

It wouldn't be flawed at all though. All I want to know is how fast does the new post page load for other people. If I'm within seconds, I'm not going to worry about it. If I'm far off, I'm going to continue to figure out what the problem is. I'm well aware of all of those variables, but as I've said several times now, I don't know if there's actually a problem or I'm impatient. If you told me across all of your installs on all your servers with 0-1000 plugins active that your average load of the one page I'm benchmarking against is .5 seconds, I know I have a problem. If you say it's 5 seconds, I'm not going to worry about it. If you say it's 15 seconds, I'm going to be happy. If this kind of data exists already somewhere, I'm not finding it, that's why I asked.

If I said, "My 2011 MacBook Air takes 30 minutes to startup, is that normal?" would you answer about memory, CPU, SSD, malware, etc or would you say "No, that's not normal"?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

It wouldn't be flawed at all though. All I want to know is how fast does the new post page load for other people. If I'm within seconds, I'm not going to worry about it. If I'm far off,

Well in that case then you are far off at 6 seconds.

But I just connected through my iPhone over 3G and now your far off at all. Because a site loads slower over 3g with a weak signal.

If you told me across all of your installs on all your servers with 0-1000 plugins active that your average load of the one page I'm benchmarking against is .5 seconds, I know I have a problem. If you say it's 5 seconds, I'm not going to worry about it. If you say it's 15 seconds, I'm going to be happy.

OK lets say they are all highend servers then with multiple cores, all of a dedicated connections and I'm getting it loading in milliseconds then.

But then if they are all on shared hosting with shared connections, those same sites might take 50 seconds (shared hosting can be real slow sometimes)

Now lets I had a super efficient install on that shared host which takes 50 seconds (that would be the host, not the install so yeah thats wrong) and lets imagine that exact same highend server (mentioned above) has a load of inefficient plugins on there and now its taking 50 seconds despite being a super quick server (that would be the be the install and the plugins).

If I compare apples and pears.......

Thats not benchmarking. There is no consistency there, no common ground to make comparisons with.

Because now I'm comparing an efficient wordpress install with an inefficient shared host. If we swapped those around the

If I said, "My 2011 MacBook Air takes 30 minutes to startup, is that normal?" would you answer about memory, CPU, SSD, malware, etc or would you say "No, that's not normal"?

30 minutes is rather different to 30 seconds.

If you had maxed out the CPU, Maxed out the Drive, set every application to load on startup, had a ton of malware on there, then yeah it taking absolutely ages to load would be normal for that exact type of install because its inefficient and bogged down.

It wouldn't be normal for a fresh install though with the base operating system.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/benchmark

bench·mark (bnchmärk)
    n.
    1. A standard by which something can be measured or judged: "Inflation . . . is a great distorter of seemingly fixed economic ideas and benchmarks" (Benjamin M. Friedman). See Synonyms at standard.
    2. often bench mark A surveyor's mark made on a stationary object of previously determined position and elevation and used as a reference point in tidal observations and surveys.
    tr.v. bench·marked, bench·mark·ing, bench·marks
    To measure (a rival's product) according to specified standards in order to compare it with and improve one's own product.

We've not set any specified standards here. IE the spec of the server, the connection to the server and all the variables in-between. So we can't compare, it just would not be an accurate overview.

Thanks.

• Timothy Bowers

You're right, there's too many variables to even attempt to warrant an answer to my question and I shouldn't have even asked it.

You were right to ask it, its a very valid question. Its just not the easiest to answer.

FYI, it was WPMUDev support videos in contextual menus and Ultimate Facebook that was slowing it down so much.

Both of these plugins make external calls (APIs), the Ultimate Facebook is also a fair sized plugin to accomodate the integration it has with Facebook.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.