How long will finished events stay visable?

The events that have happend will stay in the list for a while, how long will they stay there?

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi there,

Actually by default, the past events get archived which displays in the front end but users can't do any action on it like Attending, No, May be etc.

You can just activate the Events + add-on "Immediately expire past events" that will immediately expire all your archived events so they won't display in the front end.

You can activate the Events + add-on from the following path.

Admin Area -> Events -> Settings -> Add-ons

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @catalyst,

It's already described on the Events + plugin documentation page here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/events-plus/#product-usage as following and not event status deletes the event, you have to delete it like post/page deletion.

The Events+ default status is Open. The Events+ event statuses are as follows:

Open – available for registration/purchase
    Closed – closed to further registration but still shown in event listings
    Expired – events that are already passed, these will still show in event listings
    Archived – closed and no longer shown in listings
    Cancelled – using the Event cancellation add-on, you’ll also have a cancelled status

It might be best if you open your own here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question , even if the issues seem closely related. That way it will remain independent of this one and ensure it doesn't confuse issues here if this thread followed by its initial author.

It also means the member who started this thread or anyone following it isn't inundated with post notifications each time we respond to each other. A lengthy thread could annoy the original

This also allows us to better track and answer your questions to ensure we don't miss any and this might help other members looking for a similar answer as I'm sure you understand :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Vinod Dalvi

• catalyst

Just to explain my jumping into this thread: the question was the same including the same plugin.

My general confusion comes from (repeatedly *throughout wpmudev) confusing/contradicting statements and regarding this particular thread and issue it is such as the following:

You can just activate the Events + add-on "Immediately expire past events" that will immediately expire all your archived events so they won't display in the front end.

versus

Expired – events that are already passed, these will still show in event listings

When does "expiry" mean what and apply to what? Isn't a naturally expired event an archive? Expiring past events (archived events?) to remove them from the front-end and keep only in backend is ok but it seems the word "expiry" is used in multiple meanings / applications.
    Both this thread's initial question and my subsequent one could easily be answered in a simple explanation.

• Patrick

Hi there @catalyst

I hope you're well today!

I just took a closer look at the differences of each status on an event on one of my test sites, and I believe I have found a logic bug that could be the cause of some of this confusion:

The logic of the Closed and Archived statuses appears to be inverted. In other words...

- Closed should close the event to further registration but still show in event listings/archives. But setting an event to Closed removes it from archives/listings as well as removes the single event on the site.

- Archived should close the event and no longer show it in listings/archives. But, that setting simply closes the event to further registration, and it still appears in archives/listings as well as the single even view.

So I've flagged this as a bug, and have alerted the plugin developer so he can investigate and/or help clear up the logic used so we can update the usage documentation.

• catalyst

Thanks @Patrick for addressing this topic and identifying a core issue.
    Now once the plugin logic is fixed please someone review both in-app and on-site documentation regarding the use of the term "expiry" because that is also used with various interpretations.

Just as a note, I've come across a multitude of "gotta re-read that again to comprehend" spots across all documentation and plugins. You might want to have someone proofread before publishing.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.