How Positive Rules work

As members get to new levels on our site, they gain access to new pages. In fact, members can have multiple levels at one time.

However, when I set up everything in a Positive rules only set up, the URL group I've only checked off for staff level members, can still be seen when someone is not logged in. All they need is the URL.

I would do this negatively, blocking access. But my experience in the past, is if someone has two levels, and one level restricts access to something, it will block access even if the other level gives the member access. I see how this could make sense from code.

How can I use Memberhip to block pages completely and use multi levels?

WP 3.5 with Membership 3.4.2

• Kimberly

Hello there!

When you create a positive rule in Membership it doesn't automatically create a negative rule for it's opposite and all remaining circumstances.

To create both a positive and negative rule you'd have to use the advanced rule options.

I am not quite sure how you mean your users have multiple levels... You can only have one access level at a time as far as I am aware.

I'll be glad to see if i can help find a solution if you can describe a bit more how have the subscription setup and are achieving multiple access levels.

Best,

Kimberly

• MediaBridges

If we need too, I can change their levels as they go on, it just means more levels to create and manage.

How our member base works on the site now.

General Public (visitors)
    Supporters
    Clients that go through Orientation
    Clients that also become Radio members.

What we want to add
    As producers finish classes, they get new access to pages that allow them to reserve equipment. I'd like to add levels as they certify, which we have 4 classes, that have no particular order to go through.

If I can't add levels as they certify, I have to create a level to handle each different combination of certification.

• Kimberly

The first four seem that they could easily be upgradable with the standard Subscription buttons.

But the latter won't work the same. WE don't have any conditional logic built to handle the if/when user completes x,y,z in the membership plugin.

The best solution would probably be to consider a drip subscription (this would mean that you'd need to order the classes and give them a time limit to complete) or scratching the whole Membership structure and use Pay Per View (which would give the flexibility of doing whatever class, whenever they like, and taking however long they want to complete it)

• Kimberly

Hi!

Just checking in :slight_smile:

I'm guessing that because we haven't heard back from you that you've got your issue worked out via live chat or email, or that we have reached the end of our convo here. If you are still having problems or need any other answers on this particular topic please feel free to come back to this thread at anytime. Just be sure to mark it Not Resolved so we don't miss it!

This ticket is only being Resolved due to lack of activity. It is by no means an action to avoid, brush off or minimize your issue. We are ready and here if you want to re-open at any time and I apologize any lack of communication if this ticket is being closed in error.

Thanks for being part of the WPMU DEV Community!

Best,
    Kimberly

• Adam Apollo

Hey Kimberly,

I'm having similar issues but I'm going to address them in another thread. I just found this thread to be VERY misleading, as your first response to this inquiry was totally incorrect:

When you create a positive rule in Membership it doesn't automatically create a negative rule for it's opposite and all remaining circumstances.

Actually, if you only set two links and pages as Positive, the Membership plugin DOES assume you want to hide everything else. ONLY those items that are in the positive area are shown, although this doesn't seem to work consistently for ALL content types (like Marketpress addon for example, which shows Marketpress pages either way even if you don't include a rule for them).

Just wanted to clarify for others who may find this thread and have similar problems.

Thanks,
    Adam Apollo

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

Thanks for posting in this thread, however it might be best if you open your own, even if the issues seem closely related. That way it will remain independent of this one and ensure it doesn't confuse issues here if this thread needs reopening again by the author.

Posting on old threads can also lead to us missing your questions.

It also means the member who started this thread or anyone following it isn't inundated with post notifications each time we respond to each other. A lengthy thread could annoy the original

This also allows us to better track and answer your questions to ensure we don't miss any for ya.

You can start a new thread here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/qanda/

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.