How Roles play with levels

I was using s2members before I signed up for wpmudev now I'm using membership. However my users still have set roles that were alligned with s2members.

I've deleted that s2member plugin but the user roles are still showing. I'm not sure what role to reassign them to so that the membership plugin will control that.

At first I want someone to join and be a part of the community(buddypress) but they wouldn't see the wp admin panel.

Later we will add the ability to create their own site.

Does it matter if they are just left at the subscriber level? Or how would moving them to member affect their interaction?

• chuck_franks
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

The driving force behind the concept I'm trying to realize is that members of my site have to collaborate to publish a post. Creating a space where they can do that and then submit their collaborated post to be edited and then published (by higher leveled member) is something only a few community members would be allowed to do.

I keep getting hung up on roles/permissions/blocked content. Just when I think I have it figured out I run into something that has me perplexed again.

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

Hiya Chuck,

I'd recommend starting with WordPress user roles before worrying about the additional layer that a membership plugin can add. It will be simpler if you start with what is native to WordPress and go from there. Check out:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities

Maybe the difference between Contributor for most and Editor for the few is enough to get you where you want to go.

Cheers,
    Paul

JUST DO IT. ~Famous Nike Ad Slogan.

• chuck_franks
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Paul,
    Thanks.

I am still on the fence about when to switch someone from just subscriber to contributor or author.

My concept is that they can't publish without collaborating. Thus rewarding that process. I want some backend control and editing privledges but I want my community to do most of the stuff for themselves.

I'm struggling with wp level. then buddypress level then membership plugin level stuff.

I haven't gotten to the point of even trying to force the collaboartion issue yet. I hired someone to do some coding to make a buddypress plugin allow and invite co-authors. But I think I'd rather just use buddypress docs.

I'd be willing to share the code of what he developed with you if you wish. it's in a subfolder on my server. Let me know if your interested in looking at it.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.