how should I handle this building clients sites on our server when

how should I handle this building clients sites on our server when they own the domain and have a current site up and it is being hosted somewhere else? I was just creating it on our server and logging into the PHP and changing the Home ect to the root /file so that when we put in the server address 162.111..... /file the site would come up. But using WPMUDEV it does not work that way it will not let us log in and even with the workaround it creates issues when using the upfront themes.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Jeffrey Maz, hope you're doing well this evening! :slight_smile:

how should I handle this building clients sites on our server when they own the domain and have a current site up and it is being hosted somewhere else?

I was just creating it on our server and logging into the PHP and changing the Home ect to the root /file so that when we put in the server address 162.111..... /file the site would come up.

First, a question on my mind... why not create a subdomain on your server for each client site instead?

Something like:

nameofclientsite.mysite.com

That would be a much simpler method of handling the creation of separate sites on your server (without having to run into issues with editing the site URL). :slight_smile:

As for the moving of the development site... if the present live site is a WordPress site, you could use our Snapshot plugin to first make a backup of that:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/

And then you could use Snapshot to make a backup of the site on your development server, and then restore it to the live server, replacing the site that exists there already (of course, making sure to have a backup of the live site first!). :slight_smile:

Let me know if this helps please!

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Jeffrey Maz,

But if I do create a sub domain nameofclientsite.mysite.com doesn't the client still have to point the domain at the server in order for me to be able to work on nameofclientsite.mysite.com/wp-admin? how else would I work on?

This is just a development site, correct?

If so, then you would create the subdomain nameofclientsite.mysite.com (assuming that mysite.com is a domain that you own) inside of your hosting's control panel, and create the WordPress site there, you wouldn't need to have your client point their domain towards your development site in order to build it. It's your subdomain after all. :slight_smile:

For example, if I had a domain called:

customwebsitedevelopment.com

I would create a subdomain for my client's site, so I could build the site there, a subdomain like this for instance:

myclientsite.customwebsitedevelopment.com

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.