How to add another site in wordpress multisite

Hi guys, I've read a ton of stuff about setting up a new site in multisite, which I think i have followed to a tee, but I have just tried to set another one up (I have 3 previous sites and they worked fine) but the last one I tried to set up just hasn't appeared on my network at all. How do i start to find out whats not happening correctly?
Appreciate your help with this.
I use cpanel hostgator as my hosting service and management system.
Dave

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi @Dave

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

You can add new sites from dashboard as super admin and those will be listed under My Sites list in your multi site network (see screenshot).

You can also allow your visitors register site and user accounts from front end. To enable go to Network > Settings > Network Settings > Registration Settings > Allow new registrations and select "Both sites and user accounts can be registered." option.

As super admin you can see all sites created by you or other sin Network > Sites menu. If you can not see a site in sites menu then it means the site is currently pending or not created via WordPress signup form.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• Dave
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

As you can see from the previous post, the site gear.outdooreducationcollege does not appear on the first image (dashboard) but does if I click on the network - sites link.
    THEN - hovering the mouse over the gear.outdooreducation.com link, the dash board link can be clicked (image 4) and the result is this (image2)
    Any ideas guys?

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi @Dave

I am sorry for delay here. This first thing we should check here is wildcard subdomains certificate. It most probably due to wildcard subdomain certificate is not valid or exists for your site.

You must have subdomains wildcard entry to run your Multi Sites on demo.domain.com. Its a server side thing and you have to contact your host. Ask them to enable subdomain wildcard certificate to run WordPress Multi Sites on subdomains.

Alternatively you can setup your Multisites on subdirectories (domain.com/demo) instead of sudbomains (demo.domain.com). To do this you have to edit your wp-config.php file and edit the define for subdomains to false.

Let me know how it goes so we can dig deeper into this issue.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• Dave

My question to that would be:
    If it was possible before, why is it not possible now? What has changed.
    I have previously been able to create 3 sites as subdomains after setting up the subdomain wildcard (as shown on the first image supplied in this thread).
    Any other suggestions?

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi @Dave

I suggested this because that's first and most common thing that can cause this issue.

If its okay for you then please grant support access so I can troubleshoot this issue. Can you I delete subsites and add them again (including the existing one) ?

You can grant support access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access or see below manual for more details.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Also what is your host ? If its bluehost then check this thread related to your problem.
    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/wordpress-multisite-subdomain-dashboard-500-internal-server-error

Please check the error log and post back here. If its something like below error then consult your host as stated in this support thread.
    Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use 'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the limit if necessary. Use 'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• Dave

Hi Sajid,
    thanks for the reply. The problem has been resolved. It seems that it was my fault. I use Hostgator. I first went into hostgator and created a subdomain, then went and di the same in multisite thinking I had to map the 2 together. Well it seems that is not the thing to dao. Ash found this problem.
    He deleted the subdomain in the host and all is now good.
    I tell you this incase some otehr dumb schmuck does the same to himself in the future.
    Cheers
    Dave

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi @Dave

I am glad to know your issue is resolved and appreciate that you took time to share the solution with community.

Take a very good care of your self and have a nice weekend :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.