How to add Chat to specific pages for non registered users

how do i specify which pages I want chat?

how to i get it to show up at all? so far nothing.

from the settings, it almost looks like a visitor must be a logged in registered user in order to chat... is this true?

I'm wanting to chat with prospective customers who visit my site... "Hey, Before you leave... can i answer any questions..." sort of thing.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Stephen,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question!

You can set it so users can login with just their name and email by allowing "public" users via: Chat > Settings Site > Authentication.

Are you wanting the bottom corner chat to always show? You can set that via: Site Settings > Bottom Corner.

It's also worth noting, that you can only have 1 on 1 chats with other users that you are friends with through BuddyPress or through our Friends plugin.

Another idea, is to have a dedicated live chat support page where you can provide group support like what we do on our own site this it

Let us know if you have any further questions Stephen!

All the best,
    Tyler

• stephen

Hi Ari,

Thanks for following up.

1) No way for someone to chat without being logged in or giving email and name.

I want to chat with prospective customers browsing my site. Forcing them to sign up for something (or apparently sign up by giving their email) is a HUGE turn off and counter productive for many situations.

Most chat systems allow an option for guest chat without requiring logging in... apparently mudev does not

2) monitor visitors on my site and initiate chat with them - pop up "HI, can I answer any questions for you?"

3) Resources - maybe confusing this one... but 256M seems a lot.

Would LOVE to solve this TODAY!

If you see something i missed and there's a way to do this, please let me know.

Stephen

• aristath

1) No way for someone to chat without being logged in or giving email and name.

I want to chat with prospective customers browsing my site. Forcing them to sign up for something (or apparently sign up by giving their email) is a HUGE turn off and counter productive for many situations.

The email is only required to avoid spamming and nothing more than that. It's a simple validation technique. It doesn't matter if they use their real email or dummy@dummy.com or sdkljfhds@iuhrew.df
    You could custom-code something if you want in jQuery so that email is auto-filled with a dummy value when the page loads, and then hide that field using some CSS. It shouldn't be too hard to accomplish...

2) monitor visitors on my site and initiate chat with them - pop up "HI, can I answer any questions for you?"

This is not a support system, it's a generic chat plugin. As such it does not automatically start conversations.

3) Resources - maybe confusing this one... but 256M seems a lot.

It's really not that much because considering this is built on PHP and continuously queries your server...

Cheers,
    Ari.

• stephen

1) for offline... sure, email should be required... but for chatting with a prospective buyer spam is not an issue - it makes zero sense at all...

there is no spam potential here - zero

that's why most all major chat system support guest chat - it's a not threat and has nothing at all to do with spam vulnerability

2) right - missing needed feature

3) if i have 2 sites on my server running this system, i've taken up 25% of the ram for my entire allotment of 2G. that's a lot

#1 doesn't work

#2 doesn't work

#3 at this point doesn't really matter - it won't consume any resources because I'm not going to use it.