How to add columns within a text widget

How do I add columns with in a single text element?

I often do that with the columns short code that I like to use. I generally do that with the shortcodes ultimate plugin. I haven't tried it yet with upfront. The button to add it's shortcodes doesn't exist in the UF editor, but I assume I could build the page in the regular word press page editor and then paste the visual editor text into the upfront text element. But does upfront have a way to create columns within a single text element?

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi robphat

Hope you had a wonderful day.

Does upfront have a way to create columns within a single text element?

You can't add columns within a *single* text element till now with Upfront. But you can use multiple text elements to create as many columns as you want.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• robphat
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Yes I know I can do that, but concern is how it responds on phones. If I have a half width text element on the left half of the page, and then another element to the right of it, but I also have, 2 1/4 width text elements under the left 1/2 width text element, what will be under the left 1/2 width text element? The 2 1/4 width elements under it, or the other 1/2 width text element to the right of it. I would need the later, obviously, which is why I asked about adding columns within a text row.

I hope I am being clear. Basically, I'm saying how can I ensure that whatever content I have on the left side of the region shows above the content on the right side of the region on mobile?

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @robphat

I hope you are doing good.

I have just tested again with two half width text element, and it always sends the left one at top on mobile, so the right one will go at bottom. Screenshot attached.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

• robphat

I'm sorry, but it appears I was not clear in my initial question. You didn't address my question. I am talking about columns within a single text element. I've attached a screenshot to show you what I am trying to do. How do I do this with UF?

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello robphat,

In Upfront you can't divide single text block into columns. You need to use separate text elements and adjust them into columns.
    What you showed on the screenshot is possible - elements on the left has to be grouped, so when re-sizing window header will be still over the two text cols, and second big col will go under whole group.
    Here is screencast on how to group elements https://monosnap.com/file/wu6IqJY6dGZ9rOJM3USzlg4ILEvzOF

I prepared screens of all views - as you can see order of elements is OK on mobile views.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• robphat

OK thanks, but I'm having problems actually placing thinner text elements underneath wider ones, like you have under header 1 in your demo. Each text element I place under header one spans the full width of that text element with header 1 in it. I guess I don't know how to properly create sections within a region, or the dragging function is buggy for me.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello robphat,

Hm. When I created this demo I started with 3 text columns (first I didn't noticed the headers) and then I've added the headers. I know this is opposite way - but maybe this will be easier to place? Could you try that?

Or create first two headers, and then under them place rest of the text columns. Be sure that your region has space for them - I noticed that making region higher makes placing elements easier - and after they are placed I make region smaller.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.