How to add First Name and Last Name to BuddyPress Registration

I am trying to modify the register.php file in BuddyPress to process First Name and Last Name during registration. Because of the way I have the site setup I'm not going to use the xProfile field section so I need to figure out how to add these required fields.

Please advise.

• Ash

Hello @ason Verdelli

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

I think you need to customize the plugin. I have searched but could not fine any useful plugin for this.

I am tagging an available developer from second level support line in this thread for his valuable opinion on this issue. Please note that, developer response might be slower than usual staff response, so we appreciate your patience on this.

Cheers
    Ash

• Hoang Ngo

Hello @ason Verdelli,

I hope you are well today.

For update the register page, you can use the hooks to add new fields, or user your own template.

I think in your situation, we can go with the custom template(I saw you modifying the register.php). For begin, please copy the file /buddypress/bp-templates/bp-legacy/buddypress/members/register.php, and paste it to /your_theme/members/register.php
    From now, you can starting to work on your own register form.(Maybe you already done this step :slight_smile: )

Also, because you don't use xProfile component, so please disable it to prevent any conflicts.

And after user submit the form, you will need to store custom fields value to database, you can use this hook
    user_register, example:

add_action('user_register','save_addition_user_params');
    function save_addition_user_params($user_id){
        //// logic go here
    }

If you have any issues please don't hesitate to let us know so we can assist

Best regards,
    Hoang

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.