How to allow option to choose more than one service

I am a manager of a private park which has 7 different areas; members make requests to use one or more areas. I need to allow a choice to choose which of the areas they'd like to use. Also, I need to have them choose how many hours they'd like to reserve for each area, including the option to choose an overnight reservation.

Examples:

Pavilion and Camping Area A reservation from 5:00 PM 11/1/2014 to 1:00 PM 11/2/2014.

and

Softball Fields A and Softball Field B reservation from 8:00 AM from 2:00 PM and a reservation for the Pavilion from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM.

How do I do that? Please give simple directions as I am not very adept. Thanks very much. I am looking forward to receiving your answer. I'm very impressed with the program. :slight_smile:

~ Shirley

• aristath

Hello there @Shirley and welcome to the WPMUDEV Community!

Appointments works by splitting the day to chunks.
    So you can have appointments every hour for example, thus allowing your clients to book hourly appointments.
    You will also need to install the MarketPress plugin for your specific implementation, so that your users can bulk-add appointments to a cart that they will then be able to checkout all of them in-bulk.

i hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Michelle Shull

Hi there, Shirley!

First off, have you checked out our tutorial videos on Appointments? They can be really handy to understand the details of the plugin. http://youtu.be/9aYhyBAWN4E?list=PLV1BcivFAIdvk-1xYU5nBHcwrbTY-WgWy

We've also got a GREAT blog post that makes sense of a lot of the confusing details, here: http://wpmu.org/build-an-amazing-appointments-website/

Now, for your case, what you're going to want to do is to make each location in your park it's own service. So, to begin, go to Apppointments > Settings > Services and add each area of your park.

Next, you're going to create dummy service providers for each of these locations. These aren't "real" people, just a way to ensure you get notified when each service is scheduled.

Next, you're going to move on to the Service Hours tab, where you're going to add the hours each service is available by setting the hours for each dummy service provider you assigned to each location, along with the "No Specific Provider" hours, which is the same thing as your total business hours.

This should get you going, we may need to tweak just a few settings to make overnight appointments work, but let's get all of this in place first.

Thanks, Shirley!

• Shirley

Thanks so much, Michelle! Am thrilled that you are not suggesting MarketPress as part of my particular circumstance. I appreciate Ari's help, but your suggestions appear to be more appropriate for my case.

Question: these dummy service providers, one provider possible or recommended for more than one area in the Park? How would you advise I name them? I see that each provider has a separate email account?

And, how shall I make overnight visits?

Thanks so very much for your help.

• Michelle Shull

Hi Shirley! Glad we're getting somewhere!

For your dummy providers, they do each need to have an email address, but it doesn't have to be a real address. You can assign all the dummies to you, so you're the one who gets the confirmation emails/communications, completely bypassing their addresses.

To make overnight visits, you'll need to enable the "paddings" addon, which will add however many hours you need after midnight, and you'll need to go to Appointments>Settings, scroll to the bottom, and select "allow overwork - end of day" and that should allow you to do overnight appointments.

If that doesn't work, would you be willing to allow support access?

Thanks, Shirley! And welcome to WPMU Dev! I just noticed you're new around here. We're glad to have you as a member.

: )

• Shirley

Hi Michelle, Thanks for your help. Sure do appreciate it! I had the website online (but didn't share it with anyone), but I took it offline. Your suggestions are clear, but I must have done something wrong.. I did assign myself as a provider for all the park's areas. However, I must have altered something I shouldn't have; the hours listed are not showing up as it should. I did find the "padding" add-on. Could you please send me information about support access? I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing, lol. I need to allow clients to schedule more than one area (service) for a variable of time - from 30 minutes to 24 hours.

Once again, I really appreciate your help!

~ Shirley

• Bojan Radonic

Hey there @Shirley,

You can grant us access to your site by clicking "Grant Access" button in the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings from the following path and reply on this thread after granting it.

Admin -> WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access Tab

If you have not installed WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin yet, kindly do that here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-dashboard/ and then allow access as per the above process.

Thanks!

Best regards,
    Brian

• Michelle Shull

Heya, Shirley!

Okay, I'm logged in right now, and I think I see what we need to do.

Out of the box, each service can only have one duration. We're going to need to get a little fancy with your services to reflect that they can be rented from half an hour to 24 hours at a time. That means there are 48 different possible services for each area of your park. So if you're renting out Spot A, Spot A will need:
    Spot A - 30 minutes
    Spot A - 60 minutes
    Spot A - 90 minutes
    etc.
    each as their own service.

From there, I see two other things you can change to hopefully make things work a little better - you can take out 1440 minutes as your custom time base, 30 minutes is fine there, as it's your shortest appointment length.

And the second thing is minor, we'll need to remove the provider shortcode on your Make An Appointment page - you'll just need to show the service there, so that can make things a little less confusing for your users.

Let me know how this goes!

• Shirley

OK, I believe I did as requested, although I couldn't figure out how to add time to the drop down list. (past 720 minutes, or something to that effect.)

Also, I believe I removed the short-code.

I've tested it, but the message I received was not accurate. For example, it still showed 30 minutes, rather than 1200 minutes (20 hrs).

Once again, I really appreciate your help. Just have no idea what I'd do without your advise!

~Shirley

• Tyler Postle

Hey Shirley,

Hope you don't mind me chiming in here while Michelle is offline :slight_smile:

I know you mentioned you don't want to use MarketPress; however, I think it would solve some of your issues here, and it should work just fine with the free version of MarketPress too, then if you do ever need to upgrade you can without any troubles.

Integration with MP allows you to add appointments to a cart. So for example, say someone wanted to book 2 time slots back to back, they could just add those time slots both to their cart and checkout all in one go :slight_smile:

The checkout process would be different too as it would be more eCommerce style with a checkout page and you get a few more payment gateways too, the paid version of MP comes with tons of payment gateways if needed.

I've tested it, but the message I received was not accurate. For example, it still showed 30 minutes, rather than 1200 minutes (20 hrs).

Interested to hear your thoughts on this Shirley! Just thinking that this way having 720 minute max won't be an issue because the user can just book two slots.

Look forward to hearing back.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Shirley

Hum, Tyler, thanks for your comments. I appreciate your interest in helping. Frankly, I've been working on this for such a long time, yet, it's still not up to par. Michelle has been so helpful, I really am thankful for her help.

I did try Marketpress, but was once again frustrated with my having to take so much time...no fault of the program, just me!

At this point, I'm really open to "whatever works" and "whatever I can get up NOW", lol. I'm hoping that Michelle will review your comments and hopefully, give pros & cons as to which way to go. If the consensus is to continue without MP, then, I will do that. However, if consensus is to incorporate MP, then I would appreciate instructions on what to change in order to facilitate a speedy conclusion.

I'm willing to go either way, as long as it'll get the website working properly. I had a irate "customer" last night. He claimed he had scheduled an event for this weekend, yet there was no record of that. Said he'd gone thru the Appointments page.

~ Shirley

• Michelle Shull

Shirley! Hello!

I personally think we should issue merit badges or unlockable achievements when members (or, *cough*, staff) figure out Appointments+. I've tried to adopt it as my specialty plugin, and it can be a problem child. Your frustration is totally justified. That being said, we're smart women, we're most certainly smart enough to find just the right way to do this. I think at this point, it's more a matter of creative problem solving than anything else, but I feel like the right answer is just beyond our grasp. I've sworn all the swears at Appointments+, but I've also seen it do some really fantastic stuff.

Put on the coffee, we're going to fix this little red wagon. : )

There are definitely pros can cons to MarketPress, and it is totally worth a shot to try.

Pros:
    Many payment gateways, so you can be flexible and work with a wider customer base.
    Ease of booking back-to-back appointments.
    Better/simpler bookkeeping
    It comes with coupons, so you can give your irate friend a freebie for his trouble.

Cons:
    It's an extra plugin to keep track of.
    More set-up time now, when you just want the site to work already, dagblast it.

To integrate:

Step 1: In the Appts+ Addons, make sure the MarketPress related goodies are active.
    Step 2: Create your calendar with half hour appointments, super simple.
    Step 3: Add clear instructions on your Make An Appointment page to add as many consecutive blocks as needed to the cart.
    Step 4: Set up MarketPlace payment Gateway and cart settings.
    Step 5: Test.
    Step 6: Happy dance!?

Let me know if any of this isn't clear! Take care, Shirley! You're doing awesome, I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel. : )

• Shirley

LOL, thanks for the confidence!

I did step 1..

Not quite sure what calendar you're referring to on Step 2. You say, "super simple", but I'm confused, lol. Are you referring to the Google calendar? And I should create half hour appointments for each of the areas? Including the ones that are used for overnighters?

I don't need any payment gateways except if they are not within a certain geographical area. Actually, the park is free for church members in our immediate area as they pay a stipend each year. Any members/nonmembers outside that area, are asked to pay. The majority of users of the park do not pay.

I had planned to contact those few people that will be asked to pay, personally, with the request to pay. I figured it would be asking too much to attempt to work that into the program, lol. But if you think its feasible, great.

Number three, I'm a little uncertain as I'm not sure how to add consecutive blocks to the cart...Hoping that, after the calendar is adjusted, it will show after experimenting.

Thanks again!

~ Shirley

• Michelle Shull

Hey there, Shirley!

1. I'm referring here to the appointments calendar itself, the one that shows up on your Make An Appointment page. : )

2. Oh, sweet! That makes this all even easier. We can skip the gateways for now. I can help you set up a special gateway for the members that need it, but let's get everything else going first.

3. This should clear right up once you've got your appointment calendar set, and the add to cart button is added.

Hope you're about to have a rockin' week!

• Michelle Shull

Hello!

No dummies here, unless you've got a dummy service provider set up. ; )

1. Since we're using MarketPress, we can eliminate all but one service (at 30 minute duration) per location. (I can do this, but want your permission first.)
    2. We need to create new dummy providers (I'm doing that now) so there's one for each location.

I think from there we're just a click or two away. I'm off the front line, and you're at the top of our backfeed, so I should be able to get right back to you when you reply here. : )

Thanks!

• Michelle Shull

Hey there!

Okay, we're going to need to get @Tyler Postle back in here.

I got your dummy providers set up, everything is integrated with MarketPress correctly, and there are two issues.

1. I'm not able to add appointments to the cart.
    and 2. I'm not able to delete any of your unneeded services.

I tried de-activating a few plugins to test issue number 2, there was no change I saw. I know Tyler is going to be in in the morning, and I'm going to send him a message, but I think I may be missing one key thing about integrating the two. One plugin that did cause a problem is Editorial Calendar - it inserted it's menu item right into the Products settings for MarketPress - it's still de-activated.

Thanks so much for your patience! We're almost there!

• Shirley

oh ok, thanks.

I've been stewing over this what seems like such a long time, and people are waiting...you have no idea how much I appreciate your help! And I'm happy that you've experimented with the issue before us - hopefully, Tyler can come up with the solution.

As far as the Editorial Calendar, I hope we don't have to keep it deactivated, but if that is what it takes...so be it. I will keep it deactivated until I hear further word.

Could I have too many addons? Does that make the website slower and affect it in some way? No need to answer..will wait for next message from Tyler and you.

See ya!

~ Shirley

• Tyler Postle

Hey Shirley,

Apologies for my delay here!

Basically, with MarketPress for overnight appointments, my proposal was that they add 2 appointments to their cart. One that goes up to midnight then once that goes past midnight to whatever time the rental should end. It's a bit of a workaround, but the only extra step it involves is the 2nd appointment being added to the cart.

If that sounds good to you, then grant us support access again and I'll get it setup for you :slight_smile:

You can grant support access via admin dashboard - WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

Look forward to hearing back Shirley!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Shirley,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for the reply.

I went in and checked things out. I noticed that you aren't actually accepting payment for any of the services, is that right? Not over appointments+ anyway.

I didn't realize that, my apologies! If that is the case then MarketPress may not be the best direction to go here.

You should be able to see how I have it setup though if you try to book Wednesday for the Pavilion 420 minute service. You wanted one that goes from 5pm overnight to 1pm. The 5pm part is easy as we can go from 5pm-12am no problem. Then they need to book twice more to cover up until 1am or they can use a different service which might get a bit confusing.

Another thought I had is instead of showing the times, just only show the start times. So have it go from 5pm-12am 420 minutes but don't show 420 on the confirmation and just say in the appointment title that it lasts until 1am. How does that sound? That might be easier method to go. Just showing start times and having them book that way.

It is easy to take off the appointment length line on the confirmation :slight_smile:

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Shirley

Hi Tyler,

Yes, we don't wish to have any payment connected as most of the attendees have prepaid, so to speak.

I realize we've had several correspondences, Michelle and I, and understand that my situation is rather unique. I'm going to try your suggestion in the morning as I'm a bit confused at the moment.

Here's a review of my needs:
    No payment needed
    "Clients" should be free to request any length of time to any area.
    Exa: from 30 min meetings to overnight.
    Avg overnight period is 3-5pm to noon next day.
    Ability to choose one or more areas at a time.

That's it! Obviously, it should be as simple to schedule as possible.

I hope we can get this accomplished..and I really don't have a preference as to how it's done.

Thanks again for your help.

~ Shirley

• Tyler Postle

Hey Shirley,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your the overview there :slight_smile: in these long threads that can help a lot!

Okay, so my idea is:

"Clients" should be free to request any length of time to any area.

To avoid having to book multiple appointments at a time, you will need to create services for each time length, as you already have by the looks of it.

Except for the overnight ones, as we will say they end at midnight; however, in the title of the service we will put something like:

overnight appointment: 5pm - 11am. Then hide the service duration for all of them so the client only sees the 5pm-11am and goes off of that time :slight_smile:

Ability to choose one or more areas at a time.

It is only possible to book multiple areas in one checkout with paid appointments. With free appointments it is required that each block of time you fill out the form and click to book the appointment. The form is short though and since it's free you are all good to go as soon as the confirm appointment button is clicked :slight_smile:

Let me know how you do with this tomorrow. More than happy to help you get this sorted further.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Michelle Shull

Hey there, Shirley!

First off, disable all other plugins, just for a bit, and see if you can load your Appts+ settings page again. If so, great! Now try one more time to delete a service. Any luck?

I'm able to replicate what you see with the add/delete/edit services, but I can't replicate it on mine, let's quickly rule out a plugin conflict before we go further.

Thanks, Shirley!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Shirley,

hope you're doing well today and thanks for your explanation here. I see the issue, would you mind granting us support access so we can take a closer look and run a debug test?

You can send it in privately through our contact form:

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Shirley

Did as you requested - believe it was Saturday.

I tried to sneak in another Appointments plugin, to see if I could simply redo everything...but no luck.

How can this be resolved? We've been discussing since October 25th..and it's getting really old, lol. Sorry to say, but one glaring issue is the length of time between your attention. I realize I'm not the ONLY customer, but perhaps you could give me more instruction in your messages, so I can experiment on my own...that is, if that'd help. I'm sorry, I'm getting lots of frustrated customers.

~ Shirley

PS. I do appreciate your help, just anxious to get done!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Shirley,

Thanks for sending that in and as mentioned in the email, apologies again for the delay!

I do have good news though :slight_smile:

I got the issue sorted and I'm actually kind of kicking myself that I didn't think of this earlier - I've seen this happen once before.

It looks like you tried to place a function in the CSS field, PHP won't get executed in a CSS field and to make sure that no malicious code can be placed in there if it thinks there is then it will automatically insert a TON of backslashes to make sure that any functions/scripts won't get executed.

I have attached a screenshot to illustrate what it looked like, those backslashes continued on for a very long time, such a longtime that it was timing out your server when trying to load them :p

I've removed them now so you should be all good to go. Make sure you only enter in CSS in that field from now on. Here is the function I removed from that field in-case you still need it:

{uploads_url}/wp-google-maps/

function increase_capacity( $capacity, $service_id, $worker_id ) {
    return 10;
    }
    add_filter( , 10, 3 );

Thanks again for all your patience Shirley :slight_smile:

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Shirley

OH DEAR!

Well, that explains the timing out! I was beginning to worry about my 2 month old MSI Apache Pro laptop, lol!

Ok, I'll attempt to repair the Services in Settings now. For some reason, it would not allow me to delete any services. I want to delete all and rewrite them in better order.

Thanks so much for discovering my error, Tyler!

~ Shirley

Addendum: DID NOT WORK. Cannot delete or alter any Service

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Shirley,

Hope you're well today! :slight_smile:

I've just logged into your site and taken a look and also can't delete any services, would you mind sending me the following please to take a closer look for you? :slight_smile:

- In the subject field add "Attn: Jack Kitterhing"
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include admin/network access
    - Include FTP
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.