how to apply SSL in multi-sites to domain mapping of its custom domain?

Hi, we have WPMU multi-site domain mapping in siteslack.com, which has SSL set up for the domain and its sites on sub-domains. for instance,
https://flightschoolatl.siteslack.com

However, when we map the site to the custom domain at "flightschoolatl.com", the SSL won't work any more..

Any solution? and how to get it work? Thanks.
Jason

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jason,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I have accessed your site to check it and since there was no domains mapped at all currently, I have set the mapping that you described in your post (I have already removed it but you can add it back at any time).

Then I checked the mapped domain and the issue is that there's no certificate for the mapped domain. The sub-site is properly protected by a valid certificate but it seems that you only have a wild-card cert for the *.siteslack.com installed. That is fine and is necessary but you also need certificates for you mapped domains.

Most hosts now support SNI which is a way to install multiple single domain certificates on a single hosting account. You might want to consult that with your host, though, to make sure that they do allow that. Then, you would want to get a certificate for a flightschoolatl.com and add it to your hosting account.

That's pretty much all. After you map the domain again (just make sure that in mapping settings the "https:" protocol is selected for the mapped domain) it should work out of the box.

I hope that helps!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Jason,

Yes, you need a certificate for the "flightschoolatl.com" domain and it has to be installed on the same domain. Once you map the domain after that (and in mapping set protocol to https://) that should work out of the box.

It's not an issue of Domain Mapping plugin or even WordPress but just the way SSL certification works. Regardless of whatever type of CMS/script/platform you are using, as long as a given domain is not covered by a certificate, it won't be secure :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Riley with SOZO.DO

Hello! This thread is exactly what we're needing to have as well. It looks like Jason was able to get this working for their sites. But, when we talk to the hosting provider, which is Bluehost for this one (very huge and common company), they can't seem to understand anything about this. They just keep insisting that though they support SNI, the domains we have must be an "Add On Domain" on the account in order to have an SSL certificate. But, I keep telling them that if we make the domain an Add On Domain on the account, then it has to point to a different subdirectory than the main site and that will break WordPress Multisite because that's not how multisite works.

So, how do we get this to work so that our mapped domains have an SSL? Or, how do we explain it to Bluehost so they can understand what we're asking and needing?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.