How to associate different user roles with Pro Sites

I am running Pro Sites, New Blog Template and also a plugin to define user roles. How do I assign different user roles based on which package they purchase?

For example: The Basic package does not allow users to delete Pages, but the Pro package does. Or, Basic package does not allow access to widgets and Pro does.

Thanks
Chris

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @crazybodyfitness

welcome to the community, & thanks for posting on the forum.

I am afraid what you are asking for is not possible with ProSites, as it is geared towards users creating their own sites and supplying features to those users. All site creators are, by default, Admins of their own sites.

This is a handy tool that lots of people use when trying to adjust user roles, http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-role-editor/

the membership plugin on the other hand is geared towards access limiting, whereas pro-sites which is geared towards feature limiting.

hope this helps, if you require any further assistance, let us know.

thanks

• Christopher
    • The Bug Hunter

I am using the user role editor plugin on my sites now. But, what you are saying is there is no way for me to assign the roles I create in it to the levels in Pro Sites?

So, the only way would be to set a default user role when a new customer signs up for through Pro Sites, and then go in and manually change it for that specific site based on the package they signed up for?

Thanks

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hiya

I think so, pretty much when a user registers with pro-sites to create a new account, they automatically become 'Admin' of their site, which gives them admin level for their site. however, with pro-sites you can limit the features available when a site is created depending on level. But it does not have access limiting functionality.

hope this explains it a bit more clearly.

thanks

• wowlookart
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I would like to put in a feature request that I am able to set the pro-site default user role (to a standard or custom role).

Pro-sites does not need to build the custom functionality for me, but I want it to assign the user the role I want to give them and then let me attach whatever I want to that role outside of Pro-sites.

• antKat
    • HummingBird

I am also using ProSites with New Blog Templates, User Role Editor and Custom Admin Menu Editor. I too would like to link ProSite levels to different user roles.

I have the role for new blogs set to default as EDITOR rather than the standard ADMIN with the use of a mu-plugin that defines role after sign-up. So I know this part is do-able. What I would like is to be able to promote the role with the Pro-Site upgrade automatically. My user roles and admin menus are set to change with the role - I just want an automated role change to occur with the ProSite upgrade.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @antKat, I hope you're well today!

This feature is currently not available and you will require some custom-coding.
    I'm afraid though that this level of custom-coding is beyond the spectrum of support we can provide...
    If I'm not mistaken you would have to use the psts_upgrade action found in the pro-sites.php file on line 1180, and write a custom function that will use the wp_update_user function in there to change the user role: http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_update_user

If you are not comfortable with PHP I would advise you to post a new job on our Jobs Board so that a skilled developer can custom-code that functionality for you.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• antKat
    • HummingBird

Thank you. I assume that it would only be a line or two of code. The posting jobs require a min and max value and I can't leave blank which is unfortunate because I don't know how long it may take. Any suggestions for handling the min/max field on the posting jobs form?

• twmal
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi antKat,

I have install WHMCS and Prosites. Im using WHMCS to handling registration and payments issue for Prosites . I have 2 levels in my Prosites which is Silver & Gold. I would like when users register to be a Silver members ,then specific it another role which "silver roles" except the default role ,if gold members as a gold roles.

I want to do that because of I want to achieve if a Silver level members only has permission could see the Silver pages contents .I will using "members" plug in (http://themehybrid.com/plugins/members) to control who can see which page or post by the role permissions.

I just want when who register be a silver members except he has the default role which Administrator role and will has the capability of Sliver role too, using this Silver role to determine he has the capability and permission to see the pages and post .

This is what I want to achieve , so do you have any suggestion for me ?

Thanks

• antKat
    • HummingBird

Hi twmal,

It seems like you are getting the prosites levels confused with membership levels.
    The prosites are used to differentiate blog functionality and feature between levels such as premium themes and plugins.
    The membership plugin is used to differentiate access to content. Since you have not mentioned any difference in the blogs themselves between the levels, it seems that you can control access to pages with membership.

Hopefully this helps.
    Kathy

• twmal
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi,Kathy

Thanks for reply !
    I using Pro site because of it can integrate with WHMCS ,it is easiest way for when users make a payments it will have their own sites automatically .

So that i looking for another way how to achieve when Silver level just showing form 1,2,3 and Gold level will showing form 2,4,6 .Whether they upgrade or downgrade will not be affected.

I have same plug-ins used for Silver and Gold level. That plug in is Formidable pro(creating form plug in ) . If i using Membership to control access to pages , I think I can't using WHMCS to handling members management like ticket and after payment automatically have their own site.

So that i thought giving a new user a roles when their register, and using plug in "Members" to determine what contents can access for their pro site levels .

So I thought specific a roles may be is work.

Do you have any suggestion for this ?

Thanks

• antKat
    • HummingBird

In regards to the visible content: Do only prosite subscribers have access to the content or can you just be a member without a prosite?

From what you are describing, it seems like you have 1 level of paid prosite where all blogs have same features/themes/plugins etc. but you want 2 levels of content access which is more of a membership plugin feature.

I am just a community member and not staff - so I am not fluent in the integration possibilities of Pro Sites and Membership. Good Luck.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.