How to Attach SideBar to New Fundraiser Page to Display Rewards?

I've installed the Fundraising Plugin into my theme.

I bought a Theme (not with WPMU) which I liked that has on it's Create Page Edit an easy way to select Right Sidebar, Left Sidebar, or No Sidebar. You just click on the sidebar version you want as part of each page setup.

The Create New Fundraiser Edit page does not offer this simple selection as far as I can see.

I'd like to put the Donation Goals, Progress, and Rewards on the right sidebar of each Fundraiser.

1.) How do you attach a Sidebar to my New Fundraiser page? I created a SideBar in the Themes new Sidebar section but can't figure out how to get the sidebar onto the New Fundraiser page.

2.) Will one of the Widgets easily add into that Sidebar the Reward levels? If not, where do the Reward levels post as they are not on the New Fundraiser page at this time but created on the edit page.

3.) How is the STRIPE payment gateway coming along? I refuse to use PayPal as they suck donkey snot so I'll be dangling in the wind until the STRIPE option is finished!

Thanks and sorry for the basic questions.

• aecnu

Greetings 2456Zebra,

Welcome to WPMU DEV!

Thank you for the great questions.

1.) How do you attach a Sidebar to my New Fundraiser page? I created a SideBar in the Themes new Sidebar section but can't figure out how to get the sidebar onto the New Fundraiser page.

This is indeed custom coding though we do try to help any way we can and it is also theme related.

With that said lets see what we can get done there. You will need to find out what your theme uses to display sidebars and if it is indeed following the protocol of something like <?php get_sidebar(); ?> to render the sidebar and of course in your theme it will probably designate left or right in the code as well.

This is what you will want to place in your Fundraiser page so that the sidebar will render.

For more information regarding Custom Template Functions, see the fundraising-templates.txt file located in the fundraising folder.

2.) Will one of the Widgets easily add into that Sidebar the Reward levels? If not, where do the Reward levels post as they are not on the New Fundraiser page at this time but created on the edit page.

You would indeed need to add them as you would any other widget into the sidebar though they will indeed show on every page with that sidebar in your theme.

If you cannot manage to code this in your self you will want to hire a custom coder like tweaky.com or perhaps the wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute.

3.) How is the STRIPE payment gateway coming along? I refuse to use PayPal as they suck donkey snot so I'll be dangling in the wind until the STRIPE option is finished!

Amazing since I have personally been using PayPal since 1998 without a single issue and they have processed literally ten of thousands of transactions for my two companies and my personal account.

However, regarding Stripe, it is WPMU DEV protocol to not give any release dates until a Beta comes out and to this day the support team does not have a beta then of course one is released into the wild. Since neither of these are currently available at this time I do not have any news on this.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• 2456Zebra

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply.

3.) PayPal is currently holding onto my money for 180 days for absolutely no reason and not allowing any transactions (except incoming of course!). I had a few larger payments made and they freaked as though I just robbed a bank. It is called Successful Business Paypal you F'ing dumbass's! They will be out of business in a few years. You heard it from me first! Thank god I withdrew most of it just before they declared on their own that I'd have to wait 6 months to get MY money!

2.) I filled out the Rewards info on the Fundraiser Page edit. Now where is that information? Seems it evaporated somewhere. Why doesn't it post on the page? How do I get it to post in the Sidebar directly from what I fill out in the edit?

1.) My Theme allows on each of it's Pages and Portfolios in the theme's page edit to simply click on right, left, or no sidebar. It gives lots of different options a person can choose so they don't have to program anything. Seems ALL the "Page Options" and "Page Attributes" that my theme offers to make things easy did not incorporate into the Fundraising page creation / edit.

I am not a programmer and to expect me to have to write code is ridiculous!!

Having got that bitching off my chest about how unhappy I am with this PlugIn and the misrepresentation on the WPMU Plugin description page so far, I tried this.........
    I created a new Portfolio in my theme which allows me to select if I want sidebars, and then created a Fundraising page, expecting I could click on the Parent option and list the Portfolio as the Parent. However, the Fundraising page edit does not give an option for a Parent.

I see the code you have given and thanks. But where am I suppose to put this? In the fundraiser text box on the page edit? I suspect not.

For that matter, I don't even have to put the fundraising goal, progress, and rewards in a side bar. Is there a way to just put them on the page? Perhaps far right?

Whoever programmed this PlugIn should be taken out back and given a few swift kicks where the sun doesn't shine because he blew it!

Needless to say WPMU has a very pretty presentation but is lacking in execution.

• aecnu

Greetings 2456Zebra,

Thank you for your feedback and to say the inclusion or more accurately in this case not including a particular gateway that you prefer makes the product not solid is not right.

There are thousands of gateways and because one you prefer is not included makes the product not solid. I think not and that is insulting as well.

That comment will surely motivate the lead developer to want to work for us.

3.) PayPal is currently holding onto my money for 180 days for absolutely no reason and not allowing any transactions (except incoming of course!). I had a few larger payments made and they freaked as though I just robbed a bank. It is called Successful Business Paypal you F'ing dumbass's! They will be out of business in a few years. You heard it from me first! Thank god I withdrew most of it just before they declared on their own that I'd have to wait 6 months to get MY money!

That is news to me since not once has this ever happened to me and I get single transaction of $2000 - $3000 on a weekly basis, so I admit I am surprised and there must be mitigating circumstances that are not being disclosed.

2.) I filled out the Rewards info on the Fundraiser Page edit. Now where is that information? Seems it evaporated somewhere. Why doesn't it post on the page? How do I get it to post in the Sidebar directly from what I fill out in the edit?

Since I have had not a single issue to get Fundraising to post the rewards in both a regular page or the sidebar as demonstrated by the $50 reward shown on my test production server http://fundraising.aecnuwpmu.us/fundraisers/show-me-the-money/

Are you running caching on your WordPress installation?

Who is the Host?

Are you using two completely different browsers, one for testing and the other for development? i.e. Firefox for development and Chrome for testing?

What is the URL to your site?

1.) My Theme allows on each of it's Pages and Portfolios in the theme's page edit to simply click on right, left, or no sidebar. It gives lots of different options a person can choose so they don't have to program anything. Seems ALL the "Page Options" and "Page Attributes" that my theme offers to make things easy did not incorporate into the Fundraising page creation / edit.

It is impossible to code for every theme and this drag and drop theme stuff is NOT in compliance with WordPress codex and theme best practices. As a matter of fact it sound like you are working with a framework of some sort. So what is the name of your theme?

If you switch to Twenty Twelve or a theme that follows WordPress's codex what is the reaction from your site?

After reviewing your entire rant and railing against WPMU DEV and having been a member for a year before becoming a member of the staff, having entered 8 total tickets in that year and built two empires in the first two months, not being a coder of any kind myself - I decline to comment on your rant due to the results would be severely unfavorable - more unfavorable then your rant about WPMU DEV.

I will ignore them and concentrate on trying to help you fix your issue if at all possible minus the rhetoric.

Please advise to the questions at hand.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings 2456Zebra,

Thank you for the great question and where to put this coding is theme dependent and where you want the sidebar to appear i.e. home.php or page.php or single.php and the list goes on of the possibilities and is theme dependent.

What is the name of the theme and perhaps I can come up with a file name and line location to place this in if I indeed have access to the theme?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings 2456Zebra,

Thank you for the additional clarification.

Keep in mind. I have no problem adding sidebars in my theme. I only have the problem adding them in the Fundraiser pages.

You can create new files inside your active theme's root folder to be used when displaying a fundraiser.

There are 3 types of templates you can create.

Template Hierarchy

Single Fundraiser
    wdf_funder-{ID}.php
    wdf_funder-{slug}.php
    wdf_funder.php

Fundraiser Checkout
    wdf_checkout-{ID}.php
    wdf_checkout-{slug}.php
    wdf_checkout.php

Fundraiser Confirmation Page
    wdf_confirm-{ID}.php
    wdf_confirm-{slug}.php
    wdf_confirm.php

== Custom Template Functions ==
    You can change the location of the template-functions that are loaded in fundraising to an external location.
    This will insure that any custom changes you make to your template functions are not broken when updating the plugin in the future.

Add a new define statement in your wp-config.php file containing a string pointing to the location.
    define ('WDF_CUSTOM_TEMPLATE_FUNCTIONS','/full-server-path/and/filename.php');

== Custom Styles ==
    Add any CSS file to your fundraising /styles/ folder for it to be available in your settings.

You can also create a folder named "wdf-styles" in your wp-content folder
    OR
    you can set an external location using the following code in your wp-config.php file.

define ('WDF_EXTERNAL_STYLE_DIRECTORY','/full/server/path/to/styles/')

By default the name of the style is the name of the file. You can manually adjust this using the "wdf_custom_style_name" filter

Exmaple:

add_filter('wdf_custom_style_name', 'my_custom_filter_style_name', 10, 2);

function my_custom_filter_style_name($name, $file_name) {
    	if($file_name == 'my-file.css') {
    		$name = "My Custom Style";
    	}
    	return $name;
    }

Using the information above you will want to create a custom template which includes your sidebars that you want to be on that page within the template.

That should do the job for you.

Let me know how it goes in any event.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.